Knife For Hiking/camping?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by ThePolishPuertoRican, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Was wondering if anyone could recommend a knife to use as an every day carry (EDC). Will be used for everything. Cleaning game/fish, making feather sticks, splitting wood, cutting random materials. I have a kabar and a mora which are fine, but the cro van steel doesn't really hold and edge for that long so I was thinking of a knife with VG10, S30V or even D2 steel. Any ideas?

Please only answer this if you know what I'm talking about.

I've been looking at kershaw, spyderco, and gerber (briefly)

2. #2 snoopdog6502, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
    D2 is wicked good stuff. Iv made blades for iron working machines that shear metal from D2.

The only thing Im not sure of is if you can break it by using a rock to pound on it like splitting game animal down the middle.

FWIW My favorite knife is a cheap Gerber, damn thing is out in the garden somewhere, LOL.

3. Good ol' Victoria Knox won't let ya down!

4. Tom Brown Tracker is great all round field/survival knife. But if you handle fish you need also stainless one.

I use traditional Finnish Leuku for fishes.. It is cheap and razor sharp. Also easy to maintain and will last from father to son.
    WP_000620.jpg WP_000621.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. #5 walterbishop, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
    Might want to look into Fallkniven if you haven't already. Pricy, but worth it. They make stuff in VG10 and 3G.

Also remember it's not just the material that comes into play. It's the grind of the blade and the edge you put on it. I personally prefer a good scandi or modified scandi grind for bush craft. They touch up easy in the field with a quick strop.

Truth be told though, I use a Tops Fieldcraft as my go to. It's 1095. But 1095 has the advantage of being very easy to sharpen in the field. Quick strop, even on the back of your belt, and GTG.

6. Fallkniven S1 or F1. Both are incredibly good.

7. What would you recommend to use? Whetstone?

8. I have a collection of knives but when I camp/hike I always carry/bring with me my one machete and my utility hatchet. Came in handy since the last time I went camping me and my gf ran out of firewood we had to chop scavenge around and cut up some branches.

9. Cleaning fish sucks without a sharp filet knife, that's why I use electric now lol. Life or death is another story.

Gerber knives hold their blade pretty well. I've put a ton of wear on mine from small game and sticks. For the price, you can't beat gerber

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. How big? fixed, folder, or multi?

11. I used to work for CUTCO. They have a forever warranty so it's guaranteed for generations and generations

12. Cheap fixed blade. Use it, sharpen it, forget about it, lose it, buy a new one...

The difference between a 200$ knife and a 2000$ knife are aesthetics, essentially. Go to your local store and pick up a 50$ Gerber and don't be sad when you lose it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. I carry a kabar dozier thorn. A collaboration between kabar and dozier design made with aluminum handle and D2 blade. It's kind of a pain to sharpen but holds an edge like a mofo. I highly recommend the D2 steel.

Attached Files:

14. Swiss Army and a large BenchMade works most 93.83% of the time. A great field knife should be able to cut, chop, hammer, and dig. 

15. Your mora should be plenty knife, as it's the knife of choice for people who bushcraft; completely outdoor living.

It's the weekend warriors who want giant survival knives lol

Me personally, I'm a huge knife guy, but will only bring a small Scandi ground knife, maybe 3 or 4" blade.
    It's a custom by MLL, but is 01 steel (high carbon) so it gets a nice thin edge but durable enough for wood tasks.

Do not buy a fucking gerber, please.

16. Russian kabar has never let me down

Sent from Neptune

17. #17 cmgreenonetwo, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    When I hike I carry a 2" 4 oz. knife and I hardly ever use it.
    I have hiked 40% of the AT.  Just finished 160 miles of VT two weeks ago.

Camping and Hiking are two different things.

If I did carry a real knifer though, it would be an Esse Junglas.

18. Kershaw Deluxe Blade Trader Knife Set w/6 interchangeable blades will take care of about anything you need on a camping trip.  I have owned the same set for many years and it has served me well.  Also has 2 handles so you don't need to switch for every job and the case packs easily.

View attachment 1593668

Attached Files:

19. These are both stainless steel Case knives, I use the red one for my everyday carry and the fixed blade for hiking and whatnot, it came with a nice leather sheath too. They both hold an edge for quite awhile under some pretty rough conditions, great quality, lifetime warranty, and an excellent feel in you hand, I've had plenty of different knives and I just personally like Case the best

Attached Files:

20. My edc knife is a leatherman sidekick multi tool. I use a buck 112 for gutting and skinning deer and I have an assortment of fillet knives for fish. There is no one size fits all knife. I would recommend the leatherman for hiking and camping though. It has a good knife, saw, pliers for taking pots off a fire and a shit ton of other tools.

• Like Like x 1