How Do You Feel About People Who Are Ignorant Or Willfully Turn A Blind Eye To World Events And Politics? What Woke You Up?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Vicious, Jun 14, 2014.

1. #21 Sweetleaftoker, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2014
    I hate the people that say "it doesn't matter, we can't make a difference".
    Well obviously if we don't try we can't do anything!!!! Gah it really grinds my gears. Especially in this day and age where you can find out anything from the thing in your hand that everyone stares at 24/7.

--Ride the tiger, you can see his stripes but you know he's clean!--

2. #22 Vicious, Jun 14, 2014

It was my personal rant with a direct question and open discussion to forum, "What woke you up to politics", I never intended the OP to be the main focus. Remember said I posted this in the wrong section.

World events are happening all around us, you can start at any moment to learn and from there take in pieces of history to further understanding. The MSM you mentioned could be a start but I think that fits an older generation than the millennials in question, many of whom I find turning to Vice, online news outlets and ironically social networking and media. The important thing is to be able to find multiple sources of opposing viewpoints and pull out the common threads and truths. Most of the information I find comes from a trickle down effect, whether it be 4chan or Reddit you will find raw unfiltered information days before the media edit and put a biased political spin on it.

The latter part of your question I don't know how to answer because I simply cannot empathize. I don't know how you can turn a blind eye to the world despite being a wage "slave". Assuming that "politics" is any certain way now goes to show how far subversion and disinterest have gone. It's not just "politics", its the world we live in, not just some donkey vs an elephant.

3. Well I'm 19 and in college so it's not exactly a breeding ground for intellectual thinking (sounds counterintuitive right?). Most people here are extremely indoctrinated and feel like they are aware because they regurgitate what CNN says.
    I don't bother with trying to open people's eyes. It's not worth it at all. I met one girl who actually knew what was going on and have been extremely attracted to her since.
    I honestly don't blame people for embracing ignorance. It is a much easier life.

4. I consider myself a person who has no interest or care in world events or politics. With few exceptions that might arise from time to time. But out of curiosity what exactly is something important that the "awaken folks" think should have everyone's attention. I just feel that 99% of the things people consider important are trivial. Which is sort of ironic considering we share the same view with an opposing stance.

5. #25 Duffed N' Slashed, Jun 14, 2014
    The Clash. Before hearing the Clash I didn't really care about politics, but the Clash opened my eyes to problems that were affecting Britian in the 1970's, and are still an issue all over the world in 2014.

Song topics include: No job opportunities, drug addiction, American imperialism, race riots, war, promiscuous sex, political repression in American and Britain, oppressive middle eastern governments, the after effects of the Vietnam war, poverty stricken countries abused by white tourism, gun violence ("Make that guns so cheap, than the same goes for life"-Tommy Gun), gang violence, nuclear annihilation/winter, the politics behind the Spanish civil war, selling your soul to work your life a way in the labor force, the hypocrisy of being a punk shit head and growing up to be a law abiding citizen, murder for food, questioning the draft, people living under such unjust circumstances that they have no food or justice, the power sexually attractive women have over civilized society, and unjust punishments for non-violent crimes.

As Bono, Johnny Depp, John Cusack, Angelina Jolie, Robert Plant, Bob Marley (such a big fan and so impressed by their cover of "Police and Thieves", by Junior Mervin, that it influenced him to write the song "Punky Reggae Party", in which he references the band by name) Bruce Springsteen, Pete Townshend, Bob Dylan, Martin Scorcese, Andy Warhol, Debbie Harry, Robert DeNiro and many more will tell you, the Clash's blend of politics and aggression had the power to open my eyes and my mind.

6. Ah ok, I just misunderstood the direction of the topic.

I am well informed on world politics, but I actually can not pinpoint a time frame in my life where I became this way... I always remember thinking differently than those around me, I too get some of my world news from "Anonymous", "Vice" etc. weeding out the lies and truth, then philosophizing on the subject. 

As for how do I feel about people who willfully turn a blind eye on politics, it doesn't really bother me. Some part of me would say, aren't they negatively effecting how humans should become, how we should evolve as one? ... but then another part of me says... do I really care? 

Maybe I just lost faith in humanity, who knows :p

7. #27 DorianOmega, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    these are the kind of people I immensely despise, these are the kind of people that end up not giving a fuck about anything political or law setting but when something like 9/11 happens, they feel its A GOOD THING that something like the patriot act is passed to "protect us" not know what the fuck it actually is, the patriot part makes it sound innocent enough to these sheep.

Blind moronic button pushers are what these people are, happy in their ignorance until something or someone else affects them and demand from the world people owe them becomes someone disrupted their disgusting ignorance and demand a change not realizing how that change will affect others, great example are people who vote against sane marijuana legalization propositions or bills using government and corporate special interest group propaganda to make their decisions.

What woke me up is when the government somehow fucked up so bad they couldn't issue a white american citizen who's ancestors have had at least the past 100 years documented in america their Social security number until they were 21 because of the most insane immigration based laws that conflicted on a federal and local level, and this whiteboy was me.

8. #28 Solid State Society, Jun 14, 2014
    It is a lot to say in one post but to sum it up...

Ignore the dramatic visuals and music but this person already conveniently cut this excerpt I was looking for from the late Manly P Hall...listen.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VJxXDyRfmac

This is in no way a debate...but if you listened to every word said there...then not much is needed to be said /thread

9. #29 Vicious, Jun 14, 2014

"Here watch a video so I don't have to say anything but no matter what I win". And to top it off /thread is one of the most asshole things you can say. I never said it was a debate, I said educate me. Surely not everything you believe is from youtube video, I'm asking you. not a video, the one that brought it up.

10. you could live in a hut in the forest, know nothing of the outside world, and die happy and fulfilled.

you don't need to know what's going on. you can't ever know the full extent of world events anyway. you always miss something by focusing on something else, if you don't care about the outside world theres no reason to focus on it.

11. But none of us live in the forest.  We live within the government.  If that was a metaphor, then what happens when the woods you live in are de-forested ?  

No one focuses on politics as much that it gets in the way of their life but it is good to know the truth.

12. how sure are you really that what you know is actually the truth? we all live in a world we create in our heads to a certain degree as we assume far, far more than can ever be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

the beauty of the world is that you need not understand it to live in and enjoy it.

13. It's not hard man. Read historical books, quotes from people in power, laws passed, speeches made, etc. There's a lot of shit right in front of you, you just have to catch it, if you want to.

14. I dont even want to guess as to what a psychologist would think of this thread.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. Outside of my brother, I dont really have anyone who I can/want to talk to about politics, philosophy, etc. Those people who I can talk to, and more concerned about what MSNBC or Fox told them, then what they want to think themselves, so I usually dont pursue conversations if something gets brought up. I usually just chuckle when I hear my friends say something irrational.

16. I used to care until I realized it's all going to happen reguardless and there's no sense in wasting all your time trying to be "right" about politics like all these people online 24/7 lookin for the next "gotcha" moment...actually living my life is way more productive

17. The truth is, you can't really do shit about it and that's that. There is no way that all the people are ever going to unite and fight against the fucking billion dollar corporations running the planet. They have too much power and control over the feeble minded. I dont have time to care about anyone else besides my friends and family. 

18. I prefer to stay dumb and happy.  Its a big world my friend and there is a lot going on.  I would rather focus my attention on my own life and its daily matters.

19. I used to try and teach everyone I know what is really going on. But they all ignored me to the point where I developed a serious medical condition called cyclic vomiting syndrome from the anxiety.

I eventually got so jaded to it that now I dont really give a fuck anymore.

Ignorance is harder to cure than aids. So now I have decided to just consume the things I like about society and ignore the things I don't. I am physically and mentally not strong enough to handle the failure of fighting ignorance.

Now my plan is just to ignore what I don't like, consume what I do like, and die of a heart attack at 55. Then I will finally be free of other peoples bull shit forever.

20. #40 -Martyr, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    Depends on if you find beauty in nihilism or altruism.