Little White Bugs In My Soil And Hiding Out Under My Roots In My Water Pan

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by graphetes, Apr 18, 2014.

1. I have these little white soil bugs.  I don't see them so much on the top of the soil as I see them on my water collecting dish under my plant. Here is a picture, please give me ideas of what kind of bug it my be.   I would like a organic pesticide to use of some sorts, thanks for any help!!

20140417_115958.jpg

2. Symphilids?

3. They look like aphids of some kind but not sure what kind... have you had it out side

I'm here to grow the best meds that the soil can offer......

4. No I haven't had it outside, I think it was just mis treated at the dispensary that I got it from.  Now that I am looking in to symphilids, it seems like that might be the problem.  How do I treat that organically? 

5. I change my mind, I think they're springtails

6. #6 graphetes, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
    That is what the hydro store I just called said they sounded like spring tails , you know a good way of treating it?

7. Unfortunately I don't.

I'm almost certain that's what it is though.

Now that you have a diagnosis you should be able to figure out a treatment with a google search.

Let us know what you come up with

8. Do they jump around almost like fleas? If so, they are springtails and they are harmless. I've had them for about a year now and never bothered to try to do anything about them. No problems whatsoever. There are lots of bugs that are actually good to have in your soil. Don't always think it's a bad thing :)

9. Add some neem to your watering solution. You should soon see dead ones in the saucer....

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

10. #10 Thicken Dense, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
    Springtails are a good sign, means your soil is healthy. They're harmless to your plants and don't have a niche outside of the soil so they won't infest anything but your dirt. And when they die they become nutrients for your plant.

edit: just make sure they're springtails :)

11. I put some azamax soil drench just now, all the bugs are dead in the saucer.  Hopefully that will stop the problem.  Thanks all for the help!!

12. What exactly are you trying to treat?

Not all insects are a bad thing, by any means. Not all bugs are pests. Springtails are "nutrient cyclers" which means they break down organic matter and turn it into forms which plants are able to use as food, or at the very least part of this step, as they make OM small enough that soil microbes (bacteria & fungus) can use as food.

Springtails are part of the bigger picture known as the Soil Food Web. Leave them alone!

GL

J

13. Springtails will get rid of decomposing in your soil. I'd let them be. Put some lady bugs in there :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app