Where are you from? (No, really)

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by AR Toasty, Apr 1, 2014.

1. It seems like this thread is made on a daily basis; I know I've responded to them on repeat occasion, more times than I can even remember. I skim the posts and recognize many of the city names mentioned, but to a guy like me, most of the places I see listed in these threads are so exotic. And I want to know more than a place name (you don't even have to mention the name if you're not down like that). I want to know really, where are you from?

What is the culture like, how do people live? What does it look like? What is there to do or see? Do you dig it? To keep to our forum topic, what's the situation with cannabis?

Take us on a tour. :smoke:

2. #2 2Pac, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2014
    Newcastle, UK. ​
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    I hate it here. It's known for it's night-life which to be honest is sub-par. Smallish town, not much to do round here. I don't like much people because we have things in England called 'Chavs' and they are like the plague here. It's like any other city really though. There are good parts and bad parts. Maybe I'm cynical cos I've lived here my entire life. People are obsessive with football and alcohol, just like they are anywhere else in the UK. We're not too far from Scotland which I guess is a plus, only takes me an hour-two hours to drive up to get my head cleared. We have a disgusting accent though - search up Geordie Shore if you want to know what most dickheads here are all about. Unfortunately the stereotype seems true for the most part. I feel like a fucking alien in this city.​
     ​
    Cannabis situation is like it is anywhere in the UK, prohibited and looked at as the Devil's Lettuce.​

3. First response and it's probably the one place I'm familiar with. Those northern English are a little too tough for me. :laughing:

I'll take my turn now, since going first is for squares.

I live in Darwin, which if Australia were a clock, would be right at the 12. It's a small city and a bit isolated, which is why things are the way they are here. We're closer to Asia than the next-nearest Australian city, and everyone, government included, forgets about us. It's a capital city, but bands don't even come here to play. That said, the city was flattened in the 70s by a cyclone so everything is very new and modern.

It's chill as a result. Only in the islands have I experienced people so laid back, it's perfectly normal to not wear shoes and flip flops are acceptable club attire. Part of the reason for this attitude also being that it's just too damn hot to care about anything more than cold beer. Or crocodiles - there are croc stories in the news every day because we like to think their prevalence makes us unique. Aside from racial tensions, drunks, and the exorbitant cost of living, it's gorgeous here. I live in the tropics - it speaks for itself.

Oh, and marijuana is decriminalized. Nobody hassles over a bit of weed, we've got bigger things to worry about up here.

4. #4 giraffe, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
    [​IMG]
    this is my favorite beach to watch the sunset in Miami, Florida. Aside from biking, playing sports, fishing, going to parks and beaches, I don't really spend money to go do things, except happy hour once in a while. when relatives come through, I bring them to the everglades, the Keys, or maybe a huge shopping mall.

If we had a culture as a whole, it'd be the love/need of material things and showboating. It seems as if everyone is trying to "one up" each other. One plus is the diversity of people here. It's a good place for "minorities" like me. Also, the food here is pretty good. Not crazy varied like NYC, but still pretty good. Sporting events are pretty fun (hockey, baseball, basketball, football). Alot of bands and musicians come through... there's events like Art Basel, art walk. I haven't seen an opera yet, but i really want to.

Downside: The majority of people are rude, immature, self-centered (and stupid). People are the opposite of real, they only care about appearance. They love to get wasted, and party with drugs. Everything seems fast paced here, but it's not. Most people are lazy, they get by doing the bare minimum. This can be a plus though, since majority of people are crazy and reckless, you can do whatever you want and no one would look twice.

Don't get me wrong, there are nice, sensible, down to earth people here, but it's not the norm. These people have usually experienced some life changing events that set them apart from everyone else (or just have morals). 

the bud: fire. bottom line: don't get caught with it. some police are nice about it but i wouldn't chance it.  i smell it everywhere though. 

Basically, south florida is a beautiful place, but people are living in lala land. and no i don't dig it.

5. Massachusetts

6. That sounds so surreal. I'm not sure I've ever experienced any place like that, with the rampant, superficial lifestyle. Sounds a lot like how Miami is portrayed in Hollywood. Is there anywhere else in the US like that, on that level?

You fail, get out.

7. Northern Rockies.

Camp.
    Hunt.
    Hike.
    Fish.
    Bike.
    Explore.
    Climb.
    Achieve.
    Participate!

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 fancypantsdawg, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014
    Miami here too. This sums it up pretty well. As you said, there are down to earth people here, but it's definitely not the norm-- also I completely feel you on the one-upping... sometimes I even feel like I fall into it every now and then cause I've been here for so damn long by now :(

As for the bud, exactly as mentioned: Fire, don't get caught, it's everywhere. I've gotten caught by the fuzzZZzZz 4 different times in a span of about 5 years with it and gotten let go every time. Still, they let me keep my piece and bud each time, hell yeah. In my parents "upper" neighborhood, everyone tokes. In my more "modest" area that I just moved into, everyone tokes. Too bad we're nowhere near legalizing.

Good thread, good reads.

EDIT- I do like it here for the most part  :smoking:

I just moved here to central Florida from Ohio.  Loving the weather!  What do you mean nowhere near legalizing it?  Isn't it on the ballot for this fall?  I'm just about dried up from my supply when I drove down.  If it doesn't pass on the ballot...I could be screwed.  Having no luck around these parts.  In Winter Haven and Orlando.  They say it's everywhere....but damned if I can find it.  I got desperate the other day at a smoke shop.  

I work in a job that I can't really ask anybody...big risk.  At my old job in Ohio, I got it right at work.  Another guy delivered.  It was fantastic!

Please tell me it'll pass.  PLEASE!

10. I live in a small town located in northwestern Ga. ,USA. I fucking hate it here! It's so boring ,and all the people are closed minded ,ignorant ,judgmental ,rednecks. 'Nuff said

11. Yeah dude central FL weather is pretty awesome weather-wise, especially during this time. Even summer isn't too bad there, summer here is hot as balls. As for the ballot... yeah man I don't see that passing anytime soon. Florida is pretty backwards in so many areas, even the more "progressive" ones like South Florida. You'd be surprised at some of the ignorance here. Actually by now I don't think I personally am ever surprised. Shit we even have a subreddit /r/floridaman. Alright I'm slightly drunk and rambling but naw dude if you're anywhere near UCF, ask around and you'll find some green for sure. I've never really been a fan of asking co-workers anyway, but I get how walking up to some random young-looking person asking for weed could also seem unappealing. Still, if you're desperate enough, wing it. I guarantee you someone at your work tokes though, but I know it can be a risk.

It'll pass brotha, central is also full of stoners. Not as much Miami but looooooooooots of stoners dude

Good luck man  :smoking:

12. Eastern Washington.

13. Western Washington

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. You live by the gorge at George! Right?

15. Canada?

I used to live 10 miles from there. now I live about 100 miles from the gorge. I have been to about 16 concerts there .

Black Sabbath was the last one I went to.

View attachment 1317046

• Like Like x 1
  17. #17 lisamc, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
    For some reason this song popped in my head. 1968 baby :)
    http://youtu.be/ODZYDcYmCco

18. I live in a small town of about 5,000 people kind of near central indiana. Weather is hot as fuck in the summer, cold as fuck in the winter, and completely unpredictable in between. I hate it, there's nothing to do unless you own land and i live the suburbs pressed right up against other people. Moving out of here as soon as i get enough money saved up. The "night life" here would be considered getting drunk or baked and going to walmart and tacobell, that's how lame it is. There's good bud here, but still a lot of mids going around, because for some reason rednecks seem to love their mids lol. 

There's still nice places to go out of the town, but i need me an ocean or some mountains, i feel landlocked and suffocated here.

19. I've seen about 4? But I saw Dave Matthews there for the first time last year. Thursday - Monday. Omg, snoop! So awesome. Fri sat Sunday concert. I'm going back this year. I'm mad I never went sooner! But I got a ticket for going 90 on 90 :(

20. I used to live in central- maybe more northern Indiana. Where are you???