Nirvana Northern Lights and Blue Mystic feminized 600w Soil *2nd Attempt*

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by TeddyB, Mar 25, 2014.

1. I just saw a good friend yesterday who just moved back to town. He was around in 2008 when I harvested my first Northern Lights bud and when it was done curing it was Christmas time. We met up down at the bar and were hanging out with 15 other guys who went to high school with us. It was the holidays and everyone was back in town at the same time that year.

Since there wasn't anyone else at the bar the bartender let us do whatever we wanted pretty much.We all ended up on the back deck smoking my NL and drinking all night. Hell, the bartender even came out with us and smoked lol It was one of the absolute funnest times I've ever had smoking in my life. I had that place JUMPIN'. Everyone was feelin' it in that place. I would just be sitting there and people would smile and nod at me from across the bar, as if silently saying "You're the MAN, damn that bud you smoked with me was good!". I just told people that my friend grew it, I didn't even mention it was mine to anyone. I didn't sell a damn thing either, I only share with my friends if I got it. I sure don't grow to get rich, with my 2 whole plants in the basement. I just like to make sure that when my knees, back, or insomnia is acting up I can take care of it and get some good sleep. Anyway, the guy who is back in town was telling me that the last time he smoked good nuggets was that night at the bar with me. Damn, I must get him stoned again! lol

I just ran across some trim from last summer indoors and outdoors, cut the stems up and made me some QWISO Oil. I have a whole Pyrex pan full of yellowish green junk that needs to evaporate. Glad I found this stuff, because I've been feeling like smoking the past few days and my friend who smokes with me a lot is still in the big city so he's too far away at the moment.

2. Day 20 of flowering....and I found something strange on my plants today.

When I woke up I had to go down and dump out the water from the dehumidifier, when I spotted what looked like dirt on the Blue Mystic. I flicked it off, then I noticed the same little dark spot on the NL and looked closer...as far as I can tell it was a Stink Bug larvae. According to the Dept of Agriculture, these are nymphs (next life cycle after hatching) so I hope I can catch it before they damage my plants very much.

My area is heavily invaded with stink bugs, and through this growing attempt I've killed maybe 20-30 that were climbing around on my plants (I know they make a scent to attract more when you kill them so I put them in bottles without handling them too much). So anyway, I've never seen a baby stink bug until today. I looked online and sure enough that is what they are. They crawl really slow, have a brown and white round shell, and look like a tiny clump of dirt. The good thing is they are big enough to see and dispose of when I catch them.

I only saw 2 today, but chances are...if a stink bug laid eggs anywhere near my plants there will be many many more. I might read up on some stuff that can keep them at bay and go from there. I see one leaf on the NL,on a developing bud where I caught the bug hanging out, which looks like the bugs sucked the juices out of because it isn't healthy it has orange bands going through it almost as if it was burnt.

I never knew stink bugs would establish themselves in my basement let alone anywhere near my plants! They weren't a problem the last couple times I grew downstairs, and they have been all over the place outside for a good many years now.

3. hsh.jpg

Here is the qwiso I ended up with sitting next to a quarter. I wanted it just like this because it is easier to shape than having messy oil everywhere or powder blowing around. I had everything evaporated in the pan and then I heated up the pyrex dish a bit so that it was easier to scrape up and keep together. It still looks golden/green inside when you tear a piece off. With my low tolerance to bud now, this glob is going to last me a good while. I only smoke maybe a BB sized chunk a day that I split up into two pieces. It only takes me one or two puffs to get completely wrecked off this stuff, and I mean W-R-E-C-K-E-D....ears ringing ready to fall over wrecked. Have to be careful with this stuff. There is Northern Lights, Blue Mystic, and Papaya stems/leaves/tiny buds in this stuff and they all mix together to make a super sweet smelling great hash.

I have some things to do then tonight I am going to add some pics of the girls on day 22 of Flowering

4. Day 23 flowering

Northern Lights plant:
    NL23.jpg

Blue Mystic plant:
    BM23.jpg

BM BUDS:
    BMbud23a.jpg
    BMbud23b.jpg

I dusted the top of the buckets with a couple pinches of bone meal for a little Phosphorus and minerals. I am waiting a few days for things to dry up some and then I will flush to get the clumpy molasses out of the soil.

Plants are healthy and looking good so far.

5. Day 26 of Flowering:

Here is a group shot:
    Group26.jpg

Blue Mystic:
    BM26.jpg

Blue Mystic Buds:
    BMBuds26.jpg
    BMheadnug26.jpg

Northern Lights:
    NL26.jpg

Northern Lights bud:
    NLbabynug26.jpg

NL looks to have a few burn spots and yellow spots on a few new fan leaves that just might be from the light burning them, but the BM is closer to the light and hasn't shown any sign of burns yet..Might just scoot the NL bucket back a lil bit. BM sure loves that bright intense light, that's for sure.

6. #46 TeddyB, May 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014
    Day 27 of Flowering

Blue Mystic:
    BM27.jpg

Northern Lights:
    NL27.jpg

Lookin good, but I don't know why some NL leaves are getting yellow speckles through them at the bud sites. I think something is bothering her so I flushed them both pretty good early this morning. The molasses was making the top layer of soil all clumpy and stuck together so that oxygen wasn't getting through into the ground very well at all. After the flush things have loosened up a whole lot more and the soil isn't as compact and sticky as it was.

Blue Mystic looks healthy, no deficiencies on her. Just nice frosty nuggets.

7. Day 28 of Flowering

Northern Lights:
    NL28.jpg

Bud Shot:
    NLTOPBUDS28.jpg

Blue Mystic:
    BM28.jpg

BM BUD STICK!
    BMBUDSTICK28.jpg

Can't wait, looking good and they are really starting to flower something fierce. I noticed for the past couple weeks the new root development on the top dressing of nutrient rich soil has come to a grinding halt. Now the plants are putting 100% of their efforts into pushing out some nice beautiful buds and trying to reproduce. Hopefully that Blue Mystic keeps the nuts in its pants and doesn't ruin my virgin party, but we will see...

The Blue Mystic buds are still developing a little bit quicker than the NL buds, the NL seemed to take an extra week to really get going. Blue Mystic started throwing out small buds relatively quickly after the timer was set for flowering. Northern Lights looks like it might end up being pretty light on the top cola, the stem gets VERY VERY thin and tiny on the last couple nodes and the buds at the complete end aren't that impressive yet. I hope they thicken up, because right now it is reminding me of the NL I had outside last summer- kick ass lime green fresh fuzzy fluffy nuggets, just not too many of them. The plant outside was taller and thinner, more spaced out between the nodes- but the buds were super high quality, just not enough to last very long.

Well, who knows...the NL might blow up in the last few weeks of flowering and get really heavy. Both plants are making sugar leaves around the bud sites, it is such a beautiful thing to see after not having any plants going for months and months.

I have only seen a few stink bugs down there in the past few days, and today I killed two of the nymph stink bug babies, so I am staying on top of things by checking every few hours and disposing of them. Sure don't want my bud infested with stink bugs when I smoke it!

8. Flowering Day: 29

Here are some better pics, you can really see the piles of white crystals forming all over the buds now. The plants are both chugging a long and aside from minor issues they are pretty healthy for the most part.

Northern Lights:
    May7Flowering 29002.jpg

May7Flowering 29004.jpg

May7Flowering 29005.jpg

May7Flowering 29006.jpg

May7Flowering 29009.jpg

Here is the Blue Mystic:

May7Flowering 29007.jpg

May7Flowering 29008.jpg

Copy of May7Flowering 29011 (2).jpg

May7Flowering 29003.jpg

Every day the little buds get a little thicker, more hairs appear, and the plants are in full flower mode. Nice to see it, and I can't wait to have some primo tucked away for special days again.

9. Nice looking young ladies! Roughly how tall is the Northern Lights?

10. Plants are looking great, man!  :smoke:

Don't be so quick to judge that Northern - she'll hit some growth spurts soon!

11. Thanks a lot, I appreciate that. She is only about 18 inches tall now, but she's about 3 ft wide. She has nodes stacked on top of nodes super tight with lower branches starting to pop little buds all over the place, the Blue Mystic is more of a bean pole type of plant with very few branches.

Thanks a lot for the kind words, but you know what? I think she is going to have the same problem that the last NL I grew outside last summer is going to have...lots of stems and not enough green at the end of those sticks. Must just be the phenos in this batch or something. Usually the NL i get from Nirvana always bushes up real thick but for some reason the beans out of this 5-pack (I have used 3 and got 2 plants so far) are giving me plants like this that don't develop much of a main cola. The one I had last year was LST'ed and she had lots of colas, just not much bud on them.

I have a feeling that it is going to give me some super high quality bud, as long as things go good from here 'til the end, but just not as much as I need or want. Depending on how things go I might even have to germ some new seeds to crank out another batch soon because I seriously doubt that two plants is going to last me all that long. I've been without good bud way too long and when I get it I'll probably want to smoke a good bit.

The NL smells a lot like artificial cherry flavor that they put in soda and food kind of...really sweet smell that smells so good you just want to eat it. The odor has really mellowed out overall, or maybe I am just getting used to it! I can't even smell the stuff when I'm down in the same room with them anymore unless I get my nose right above the buds and take a whiff. Blue Mystic doesn't smell like anything so far, what a wonderful stealth strain. I haven't spotted any ball sacks yet either so that is a good thing. I'm waiting to see what happens, but I took two last clones about a week after I started 12/12 (I know, should have got them earlier). I snipped one branch that wasn't going to get any light at the back of both plants and they look good. Some kind of sickness killed the last ones, but I want to keep this Blue Mystic going if it is a true 100% girl.

The main stem gets super thin at the top of NL, and I was just looking at her as she was waking up and her top cola is only about an inch tall so far.....???!!!!.....The Blue Mystic cola is about three times taller.

Frost coverage on both plants seems just about equal so far, some really sugary tasty looking budlets going on.

12. Flowering Day 34

While the two main plants are starting to get plump and do their thing, I have been thinking about next run. I have 5 feminized seeds handy- 2 NL and 3 Mystics. I have two clones of these girls that may or may not pan out, they were under 12/12 for a week and have yet to show any signs of rooting and its been about 3 weeks since I cut them. They still look healthy, so that is a good sign and they just might hang in there and make it.

I have decided I am going to do an all NL run next time with the last 2 seeds, use up the rest of this 5-pack and save the 3 BM seeds for the next run after that. I just put the NL seeds in a cup with some spring water to crack and when they do crack I will plant them in some starter soil. I can put the seedlings up here in my veg station while the girls down stairs finish up, I figure they should be ready at the end of the month or early June. I do need a bowl or joint dried for my birthday around that time too, it is a tradition to have a lil smoke ready for that day lol so I think that I will be picking off a few popcorn buds around the 24th.

Being almost out of seeds, it is time to start thinking about the future of my strains as well. I am going to pick up some Wonder Woman, Blue Mystic, and Northern Lights for sure (ALL NORMAL 10-PACKS, NO FEM!) and I might add something else in there. I wasn't very impressed with Aurora Indica or Papaya last time I bought those seeds and I doubt I pick any more up because the odor inside was too strong. Black Jack looks nice, as do a few other newer Nirvana strains. I might even throw a few auto's around the edges of my next bigger grow so that I can harvest a little while I wait for the main strains to finish up. It is an idea anyway. I am also thinking about picking up another 600w HPS/MH combo lamp. That would be sweet having 2 and being able to spread the light out more than a regular 1000w lamp. Seems like two lamp systems cover a lot more ground. I also need to fix up my flowering station better, but what I have now is functional for the time being.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the next run and seeing what kind of plants I get from these two NL seeds. While that run is growing I will be ordering my resupply of seeds and go from there. I am still undecided on whether or not I am going to put any plants outside this year. My best spot isn't there anymore, the brush pile got cut so that is out of the question, I'd have to find a whole new place to grow them. I don't live out in the wilderness and all the woods around here are small woods that border people's property and aren't a good place to grow. The only woods that MIGHT work nearby is close to a cemetery and that would just be creepy going to water the plants at night. Plus there are TONS of deer over that way. The slugs around here are problem enough, I couldn't imagine having to deal with another predator as well. I always have to use small cups with beer around the plants to keep the slugs at bay outside around here, they get BAD. I've put seedlings outside and had them completely ate up the next day a few times due to slugs.

I'll post up some pics tomorrow of the main girls on Day 35...wow it sure seems like time is cruising along now and it won't be long before I'm trimming me some nuggets and hanging them up to dry!

13. #53 TeddyB, May 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2014
    Flowering Day 35

One NL seed has cracked, one has yet to crack and the BM seed hasn't cracked yet either. The seeds have been in my fridge for about 15 months, they should be viable. They are on a plate and wash cloth now while I wait for the tail to protrude and then I can plant them.

About the Blue Mystic "Hermie" issues I've had: I have been doing a lot of research and I can't believe what I found out. The "baby seeds" inside the previous plants that I have grown were nothing more than swollen up ovules ready to receive pollen and make seeds. They weren't actually seeds themselves and after time, towards the end of flowering, they just turn into brown mush and die. There isn't a whole lot of reliable info about it, when you check into it half the people say that it is a hermie for sure when it really isn't. There will be no mature seed produced in the end, the female plants are just forming these "baby seeds" and when they do get pollinated then the seed forms quickly thereafter and the shell starts to harden. They look like a little green fruit inside the calyx right now. These current plants have them, and all my previous plants did too except for a couple and I always thought that they were in fact seeds when in reality they weren't exactly seeds.

WOW DON'T I FEEL STUPID FOR CHOPPING ALLLLL THOSE PLANTS TOO EARLY FOR THE PAST YEAR! If I just would have given them a couple more weeks then they would have taken care of it themselves and gave me a much better smoke and a lot more of it.

See, the part that got me at first was when the outer calyx was missing on a few of these flowers, and they just had hairs sticking out of a little round swollen green ball (the baby ovule). It looks an awful lot like a false female flower, a male flower before it pops open and jiggles its balls around, but IT ISN'T!

They say genetics plays a role in how big ovules get in instances when they get large like the Blue Mystic ovules get, usually they are about the size of half a grain of salt but these ones are big and look to be baby seeds in the making. All my first plants last spring (Blue Mystic, NL, Papaya, and Aurora Indica) had this trait except for a Citral (Kush) phenotype Papaya plant and the NL I had outside last summer didn't have them either, but last spring I kept looking for the source of pollen-chopping down plants that had the ovule sticking out without the calyx covering thinking that they were false flowers when in reality they were just missing the outer coating.

I was always under the impression that inside the calyx there should be nothing in an unseeded female plant, but that isn't exactly true 100% of the time. I guess you could think of the ovule as a little immature fruit that is half way complete and it is waiting to get that pollen and finish growing. When they expire towards the end of flowering then they just die and you have your unseeded bud.

I really wish I would have checked into this before now, but hey I guess you learn something new everyday even at the ripe old age of 33. The main thing is now I know not to chop plants too early until I figure out exactly what is going on. Growing pot for years before this, I have never came across these large swollen ovules until last spring! I immediately thought damn, these are baby seeds and someone in the garden has NUTS and freaked out going on a chop happy rampage when if I would have just let them go things would have been fine.

I'm going to post some day 35 flowering pics when the lights come on this morning.

14. Flowering Day 35

Blue Mystic:
    BM35.jpg

Northern Lights:
    NL35.jpg

The Blue Mystic keeps packing on the weight, while the NL is still stringy with thin buds at the end of its long branches. I hope the NL catches up, but I think that she is going to produce much less than the Mystic. The buds of the NL are much fluffier than the rock hard nugs on the Mystic as well. I haven't been touching them or anything, just my observations on the lower popcorn buds.

15. The bm will swell up nice

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Yeah, she's getting a little chubby. I hope she goes full-on 'fat chick' or even 'morbidly obese chick' on me by the end. I'm still in kind of disbelief that I've been chopping all my Blue Mystics too early due to swollen ovules. Damn.

I just went down and plucked a rather lower preflower off the NL and sure enough, and upon dissecting the calyx there was the dead little brown ovule inside about the size of a grain of salt as they should be...I've never seen plants that had what looked like half completed green seeds inside the calyx's before I got these seeds last spring. I thought for sure they were hermie flowers or some seeds in early stages of development. Even when you type in 'little green seed looking thing inside calyx' on a search engine, half the replies to that thread automatically assume it is a hermie when they really aren't. The ovules just shrivel up and turn brown whenever they figure out its too late to catch any pollen and they die. This will work out well because I will know when they are mostly dead that harvest is near. I'm just glad that they shrink into almost nothing and that they won't affect the quality of my smoke in the end.

I was really concerned with wasting all this time and effort on nothing.

New Batch:
    Good news, all 3 seeds have cracked open within the first 24 hours and all are now in a damp washcloth. First was a really large healthy looking NL seed, then the regular looking Blue Mystic seed poked its tail out, and finally a little oddly shaped NL bean cracked open giving me 100% germ rate so far on these 15 month old beans.

I was worried the odd shaped little NL seed looked a little underdeveloped and may not sprout, but she is doing just fine so far. Sometimes those seeds that look like they may not make it end up proving you wrong and delivering a massive crystal covered whopper in the end. You just never know exactly what the hell is going to grow out of the ground at first, that is one of the things I love about growing. The randomness of nature. Of course when you buy seeds you have a good idea of what kind of plant you may end up with, but sometimes you get those super rare phenos that display a certain trait that isn't exactly typical to the strain. A genetic throwback kind of, like people with really thick brow ridges or poor souls born with a tail. Those are the special plants.

17. Yes the lil Brown thing in calyx is NOT hermaphridite flowers

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. #58 TeddyB, May 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014
    Good news, both clones took and started rooting! It took me about 4 tries with each strain to get a viable clone. I kept using the same little container full of rooting hormone for the past couple years, not even thinking that hey this might be expired, and I finally realized this and bought a new jar of it. I dug up the stems which had no roots and dipped them in the new stuff before sticking them back into the soil and a week later I already have roots growing on both clones.

Only thing is that they have to revert back to veg, they were taken about a week into 12/12 and they have tiny buds on top. I may just nurse these 2 back to health and get them a bit bigger then find a new spot to put them outside. Or I could keep them inside and flower them with my next batch of seeds. Or I could even keep them under light all the time and start a perpetual garden using them as my moms depending on how I like the end results of the harvest this time.

All 3 of my seeds have popped up already! It only took a few days to go from seed to weed, these beans are VERY fresh and healthy. Having 3 seedlings and 2 clones gives me a lot of options. I do like this Blue Mystic pheno, the structure of the plant with the large fat cola on top so I could see making a mom out of this clone. Might have to FIM, LST, or top her so that she bushes out because she doesn't really make branches like the NL does. NL has super tight nodes and a lot more/longer branches than this BM.

I noticed that the soil that I put the seedlings in have worms already lol worms are my secret weapon, the pots that the bigger 2 plants are growing in have been full of worms for the past year. I've grown two plants in each pot of this soil from start to finish (going to swap out soil next run and use this soil to mix in with some new soil), and even when I didn't have plants going I still kept feeding the worms. The worms like cornmeal and bread lol They let me know that my soil is healthy because harsh chemical ferts will kill them quickly and I've managed to keep them alive a whole year in my basement.  They don't crawl out of my pots or anything, and I haven't spotted any dead bodies around my buckets either. The worms don't harm the plants, and they leave castings all over the place plus aerate my soil so it is a beneficial relationship for all involved! Their numbers haven't got crazy or anything, but when I stick my finger down in the dirt to feel for moisture I can 9 times out of 10 scoop out a bit and there is a worm. Well, that was before I added that last black rich soil dressing to the top of the buckets and now there are thick layers of roots just under the surface. Its kind of hard to stick a finger in to check moisture now because the plants both took advantage of the good dirt and made TONS of roots.

I like having a living soil. If the worms are healthy then the plants should be too.

Blue Mystic has a little thing going on with a few big fan leaves in the middle of the plant. There are yellow edges and they are crisping up turning brown while the rest of the leaf stays a nice dark green. If it isn't a heat issue (which I don't think it is bc the plants are a good 20+ inches away from the light), then it might be a calcium/magnesium deficiency.

I did two things that should help solve my issue. First off my lime is getting pretty old so I was thinking maybe it would be a good time to add a little bit more to keep the Ph in check, so I sprinkled some on top of both buckets of soil and down in the gaps between the bucket walls and the soil so that it gets down in there and starts going to work. Then I went ahead and got some epsom salts today. I don't want to harm the plants at this critical stage of life, so I only went with one heaping tablespoon for each plant and mixed it into the top layer of dirt then gave the plants a small sip of water. I'm trying not to water the girls all that much right now, only when they show signs that they need a drink, but I'm trying to stop this problem in its tracks before it has a negative effect on harvest. I treated the NL plant as a precaution so that it doesn't happen to her next, because both plants are in the same kind of dirt. I know each strain might use different amounts of each nutrient, but epsom salts are really good for plants, I should have had some laying around but I was out.

19. Flowering Day 40

Plants are looking good, had some big trouble with the seedlings and only one NL is alive. The Blue Mystic seed popped out of the ground and couldn't escape its shell. It fell over dead today, and one of the NL seedlings stretched really far and fell over dead too. Rough day to be a seedling. So I got two clones and one NL seedling alive now.

The big girls are still rolling along at day 40 of Flowering. They look good, and the last time I put some epsom salts in the soil has really perked them both up nicely. Both plants really enjoy the epsom salts. Blue Mystic is getting dark and healthy looking again, and the NL is turning a darker green than it has been for a while. The buds are lime green on the NL, they look really bright for the NL strain. Usually they are darker.

Here is the BM plant:

BM40.jpg

BM buds 40.jpg

Here is the NL plant:

NL40.jpg

NL buds 40.jpg

NL frosty 40.jpg

NL closeup buds 40.jpg

NL frost 40.jpg

20. I was just looking at some pics of when I started growing NL and Hindu Kush from Nirvana, and this is the kind of Northern Lights that I was used to:

NirvanaNL2007.jpg

This stuff now barely looks like it at all. I have been thinking about this NL plant, and I don't think this is a phenotype I want to keep just based on how much less bud it is making compared to the Blue Mystic. The Blue Mystic has a nice cola, the NL has a little ball of bud on a stick at the end. The NL i had outside last summer had the same structure, tall/thin/branchy but very few buds. The buds I had were A+++ but still, it just seemed like I should be getting more out of it and that was even outdoors with great light all day.

I hope I can find a pheno that produces better with these last 2 seedlings. I almost had a terrible tragedy with one of them, she stretched really far and broke in the middle. I dipped the stem in rooting hormone and re-planted the seedling right away and she hasn't missed a beat. She's almost good enough to go outside with the one that didn't get chopped, I'm going to veg a few plants outside and then flower them inside once these two are done.

I'm just keeping my veg chamber for sick and tender plants for now, taking advantage of the sun seems like a better choice to veg them up real fast.

I sprouted a Blue Mystic seed that couldn't break the shell after it sprung out of the ground, I really didn't want to mess with it and make things worse so I just watched it. One morning I looked and it was laying down on the dirt and I thought it was dead so I popped the shell off and just set it aside. A few days later I just happened to look at it and I was really amazed to see two green little pod buster leaves looking at me. She made it, but now she looks all kinds of messed up...It looks like she's got one leaf and a stump in between her pod buster leaves. I can't wait to see how this Blue Mystic turns out, I hope she survives.