Building an indoor scrog box. Tips??

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Abusofnuns, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Okay, so I've decided I'd like to build and indoor scrog box.
    Ideally something slender enough to fit in any house closet, but tall enough to adjust lights and have plenty of room for flower growth.

Rough size: 4.5ft x 2ft x 5ft

What should I use for a screen? I was thinking of using plastic can holders and tying a few of those together? Chicken Wire?

As for lights. I had something like this in mind.
    [​IMG]

I would maybe put a 3rd set of bulbs in, and use 2 fixtures with 3 sets of bulbs. Mix of Soft White and Daylight CFLs.

For pots, I start in small plastic cups, transplant to small plastic potting bag. From the bag to 3 gallon pot. 5 gallon hopefully if I have the space.

Water is a mix of tap and rain water. I have a Foxfarm Grow Big 6-4-4 liquid plant food. It says for lush vegetative growth. I use a small amount of this for vegetative growth spurt, then slowly ween them off before flower. Unless thats a bad idea and someone knows a nice flowering supplement they could recommend. 

Soil Recipe: Peat Moss, Forest Humus, Coconut Coir, Perlite, Compost, Worm Castings. In that order. I'm assuming the compost is just local tree leaves collected from around the city and local farm scraps.
    It's a local mix I picked up at Costco. Should I add anything to it?

For fans/ventilation, I was going to use computer fans. Or basically any sort of fan I could just fit into the side wall of the box. I'm not sure if computer fans would be enough though.. Do they make gardening fans/exhausts for small setups?

What do you guys think? I'd love for this box to work out and be re-usable. So any input and ideas are welcome before I decide to go out and buy the materials and start making it. Thanks guys!! 

2. Bump. Anyone??

3. I can maybe help with the venting and lighting, others will be able to chime in on notes and such,

For vents you could use computer fans, at a minimum the air needs to be completely changed every 5 minutes although faster is better, my box recycles air 10 times a minute, for your box size my recommendation is to go 4x5x2 so you would have 40cubic feet. The average 120mm computer fan flows anywhere from 40-80cfm usually closer the ones I have flow 43 cfm a minute, meaning your air would recycle 1 time a minute, you may however need more airflow to keep temps down, amazon sells duct fans in 4" 6" and 8" from $20-30 the 4" flows 100cfm the 6" flows 240 and the 8" flows 400
    I would use a 240 6" its $25, and will flow plenty for what you need 240/40 is 6. So your box would completely refresh the air 6 times a minute.

For lighting, your on the right track but you will need more light, for the size you are talking, I'd use 6 23watt per plant.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. You should have plenty of space to go up to a 5 gallon.

5. Badass! Thanks! I'm looking at the fans on amazon now. Not bad prices at all! I'll also be going and buying the lights today as well. I'm going to spend most of the day trying to develop some sort of adjustable pully system for them lol.

6. Amazon and grow/hydro shops have these retractable cable hangers for lights, you can find them on amazon for a few bucks, locally for $5-$15

7. Post pics of your box! I'd love to see how's its turning out

8. I would suggest a small grow tent from amazon. Can be had for 60-80 dollars for a slim one. I have a 36x20x62 tall I got for 65 I think. I tried making a "box" like you and ended up wasting 250 dollars on a piece of crap that achieved 90f within 15 mins. Also, scrap the computer fans for anything other than air circulation inside the tent. I would recommend a cheap inline fan and a fan controller too. You're looking at like 150 for all 3 items(tent, fan, controller) that you for sure will do the job. Just my advice based on personal experience of trying to assemble a grow box

9. Ditch the box all together. line the walls with mylar hang a light and grow.

The plants will grow fine without a box.