Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Do you have to decarb to make edibles or Tinctures?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by snoopdog902003, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Hi I just made some honey oil with the mason jar in the pan on the stove method at about 160 for 10 hours and my stuff is golden honey but not really vaping and not strong. I didnt decarb before I made it and it was medical bud I used so Im trying to find out if thats the reason its not working? Also what is the easiet way to decarb some bud and how long and what temp for about 7 grams

Also the oil seems to be way stronger when I lace it ina blunt. This is my first time doing this and dont know what im doing any help would be greatly apprecaited thank you

2. If you're using it for smoking/vaping it does not need to be decarbed.  :)

3. #3 snoopdog902003, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2014
    Do you think you can take a few minutes of your time to watch this youtube I followed to make this and tell me If I did anything wrong or the person on the video did anything wrong? The only thing I did different was used regular glycerin instead of vegatable glycerin. But I heard and read many forums where people used regular glycerin anyways with no problems.

Any help would be appreciated and thank you for responding

Heres the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njp7aynB4tw

4. #4 PsychedelicSam, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014

It looks as good as any other glycerin guide but you should be aware that it will get much better after a 2 week cure. Also, you should always use food grade glycerin. You may get away with it once or twice but don't make a habit of it.  :)

5. How do you cure it once its already made? thanks for your help bro. And this shit is potent on a blunt but not in a vape dont know why

Wait! You said you made honey oil. Are you smoking glycerin in a blunt or honey oil? Those are 2 very different products and smoking glycerin is dangerous to your health.

Curing the glycerin means letting it sit a while, like curing a ham, so the glycerin bonds with the THC. You can get lipid pneumonia from smoking it.  :eek:

7. No No not just glycerin the honey oil I made with the glycerin. You know the final product? In the video the guy made the oil then used it he didnt cure first, but i noticed the longer i let it sit the stronger it hits in the vape. Are you saying you cant put honey oil on a blunt?

I think I understand. You infused your glycerin with your honey oil (hash oil) and used the method in the video or you made your glycerin tincture like the video and call it honey oil. Either way, even though you get off on smoking it in the blunt, smoking glycerin is bad for your lungs. You can smoke honey oil, which is normally a hash oil in my experience. Calling your glycerin tincture "honey oil" is what threw me off. As for the cure, it's a step that most people overlook and may be the reason so many give up on it. It just needs to be aged, like a fine wine.  :)

9. I call it honey oil because it looks just like honey oil my bad. And people smoke glycerin oil all the time thats what it is used for. My mom using the same kind I do on her e-cigs so I dont know what your talking about

Vaporizing is cool, combustion is not. E-cig is vapor, blunt is combustion (burning). Burning glycerin produces acrolein which is a carcinogenic poison. You can go ahead and burn it if you want without dying on the spot but in a few years when you need a respiratory therapist, remember what may have caused it.  :)

11. This is the test performed by OSHA and the FDA.Chemical Sampling Information: Glycerin Mist (Total Dust)Notes: 1) Inhalation studies in rats with smoke from cigarettes without and with glycerin added as a humectant (5%) indicated no significant biological effect of the addition of glycerin. 2) Glycerin is listed by the FDA as a generally recognized as safe food additive when used in accordance with good manufacturing practice (21 CFR 182.1320). 3) In one study, adult plasma glycerol levels after a 12-hour fast averaged 0.1 mmol/liter. Men with an X-linked inherited mutation in glycerol kinase had an average 40-fold higher glycerol level, a higher body-mass index and waist circumference, and impaired glucose tolerance, but were otherwise reported to be apparently healthy.

12. The FDA and other people forums and post for smoking glycerin seems to have a different view then you

13. \tHealth risks[SIZE=small][[/SIZE]edit<span>]</span>Acrolein is toxic and is a strong irritant for the skin, eyes, and nasal passages.<sup>[1]</sup> The main metabolic pathway for acrolein is the alkylation of glutathione. The WHO suggests a "tolerable oral acrolein intake" of 7.5 Î¼g/day per kilogram of body weight. Although acrolein occurs in French fries, the levels are only a few micrograms per kilogram.<sup>[5]</sup> In response to occupational exposures to acrolein, the US Occupational Safety and Health Administration has set a permissible exposure limit at 0.1 ppm (0.25 mg/m<sup>3</sup>) at an eight-hour time-weighted average.<sup>[6]</sup>
    \tCigarette smoke[SIZE=small][[/SIZE]edit<span>]</span>Connections exist between acrolein gas in the smoke from tobacco cigarettes and the risk of lung cancer.<sup>[7]</sup> In terms of the "noncarcinogenic health quotient" for components in cigarette smoke, acrolein dominates, contributing 40 times more than the next component, hydrogen cyanide.<sup>[8]</sup>
    \n<sup>Ok so it seems like the same stuff that is found in glycerin is in tobacco smoke. I smoke alot of toabacoo and im not saying its not bad for you but I kinda already am intaking acrolein by smoking cigs. It says they reccommend a daily maximum of 7.5 ug/day I dont know if i am intaking more or less. All i do is put a layer on the blunt then roll up. It even says in the video at the end you can either put it in your vape or on a joint.</sup>
    \n<sup>So even If I let it cure for a week in my closet I could still never smoke it just vape it?</sup>
    \n<sup>And how long should I let it sit in my closet to get potent, its in a mason jar. The only reason I am even lacing blunts with it is because in the vape pen it sucks and is not strong at all. Is there reason its not strong in the vape is because its not cured yet?</sup>

14. Could Of that of been the reason the blunt was so strong and not working in the vape? 

Thanks bro for letting us know and making me do the research im just confused as to why so many people put it on their blunts and joints and even in the video it said you could do that

Well. if you smoke cigarettes already, what's a little extra going to hurt? I'm an old guy with a lot of issues who doesn't need any more so I'll refrain, thank you. Glycerin (glycerol) is a waste product of fuel production and there are two types, bio and petro, and that's the reason you want vegetable glycerin. It's made from the biodiesel industry and it's from corn.

2 weeks should do it,but it will get better. If you don't have at least 1-3 grams per ounce of glycerin you'll probably have a weak potion. It works differently as a vapor and it's hard to explain. The stuff I have can be felt well on the first puff but I usually do 7-8 quickly to get the results I want.  :)

Not everybody thinks in the long term, just the present. It changes as you get older and wiser. As you've seen, it does work without dropping dead but a good example of that is trans fat. It was approved by the FDA and was in nearly everything, but it causes blocked arteries, obesity, strokes and heart attacks. Just don't be afraid to question popular belief, especially if there is any doubt.

You did good with the research and didn't stop at the first one that agreed with your thoughts. You did good, snoop.  ;)

17. Thank you and so if made it with vegetable glycerin then there would be no problem smoking it? And it not being cured is why its not potent? I made the glycerin oil with 7 grams of high quality bud. The 7 grams broke down to 1/3 cup so i mixed it with 1/3 glycerin to cook it.

So just to be clear even after its cured i still cant directly smoke it on a blunt or joint i have to vaporize it?

And from my research 7 grams of bud to equal amount of glycerin should be potent right?

And since i hardly feel anything when I vape in about 2 weeks it should be good right?

Vegetable glycerin is organic and is better than glycerin made from crude oil but neither is natural. Neither should be smoked for reasons of long term health. It's your choice and you may not detect anything for 20 years or until your cigarette smoking causes issues. Curing will have no effect on the long term health issues. You should vaporize but that's all I'll say.

7g should be a decent potency, but I'm not going to guarantee it will knock you on your butt after 2 weeks from the vaporizer. If you have a table model vaporizer, place some of your tincture on a bowl of weed instead of a blunt. The higher heat will get you better result from what I hear. :)

19. but if you put it on weed in a bowl its still combusting and not vaping right? That chemical toxin is activated at 536 F 

If it's a pipe bowl and you use fire to smoke it, it's combustion. If it's a bowl on the vaporizer, it's not combustion. The heat from the lighter and the ember on the end of a blunt get hotter than that.  :)