Colorado Brahs, What do you think of this legal weed

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by weedude5, Feb 21, 2014.

1. i went and got some edibles the other day, looked all the the weed prices, 'oh man this is pretty legit, reasonably low'

check out with 4 things which would come out to 50-60$ w/o tax, clerk presses some button and the monitor changes from 50-60$ to 97$

i think ill stick to my street weed :] 

2. yea the tax is absurd. Especially in Boulder, its like 38%

With growing your own, or a med card (to avoid the tax, its much cheaper if you want to shop for weed), or the plentiful amount of black market bud, i really dont get the massive hype going on with the stores lol

3. #3 bobsrevenge420, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2014
    Didn't mean to post nothing. But that's bullshit free the weed

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. 40%? holyshit.

"Go easy on that shit, its HYDROponic"

5. Well everyone said that was the only way it would become legal( if it was exploited). Kinda predictable if you ask me but thats an insanly high tax rate.

Should make a meme of obama fucking a pot head in the ass with taxes...

its a state tax.... lol

• Like Like x 2
  7. The prices are a bit stiff but local reports show the rec prices will be dropping over the spring. I can't remember the details off hand on this one - there was some weird restrictions enforced on the med dispensaries that switched over to recreational. It was regarding their inventory... such as having to rob their own med inventory to supply the rec side and had to wait until certain dates before being able to legally increase/diversify their cultivation/inventories.

I support the process though and would rather pay taxes than support the cartels. Also, I'm a huge fan of the testing requirements being put into regulation here for retail sales. Potency, microbial, residual solvents, pesticides/PGRs testing will be mandatory. IMO given the low cost of tests per batch (1-10lbs?) of cannabis, it's a small price to pay to avoid microbe contamination, toxic consumption of solvents that weren't purged entirely, etc.

I have the opportunity to get my med card for a legit cancer history but I've held off because the rec vote happened right after I moved here in 2012. Am currently renting but in the near future when I swoop up some property, you better believe I'll be growing my own. 6 flowering plants per my 2 person household will be more herbs than we'd need. As far as those who "need it" for legit reasons of concentrates/edibles , lots of people out here do receive high # recommendations for plant counts.

My favorite part about the scene here is that people have options. You can get your med card and get a SMOKING deal on high quality meds, you can walk into any rec store as a citizen and buy meds... or you can grow your own at home. Of course within all 3 options the people have the ability to "trade" amongst eachother. So no one is forced into one limited option - there is something for all to make it work.

Of course, the best scenario will be when the rules regarding plant count/# of ounces kept on hand get completely abolished. Or at least raise them to the "federal limit" of 99 plants/person - until THAT rule gets abolished too :hello:

After all... if I owned a farm with a grape vinyard, is there a limit to how many barrels of wine I can produce on my property? Nope! It's not until the individual tries to sell that "unregulated" alcohol product, that any laws are broken. IMO this is where cannabis needs to be pushed to, as far as regulations are concerned. Cultivate 80 plants if you want, make enough concentrate to fill a pool with! As long as you're not selling!

8. Lol ik but still

9. Damn that's a bummer tax is so high for the herb over in CO. Everyone always used that as the argument though to make it legal. Can't tell you how many times I heard "If it was legal we could tax the shit out of it so it would help the economy too"

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

lol coincidentally i read this on RT today

http://rt.com/usa/colorado-tax-pot-exceeds-expectations-985/

Recreational pot sales were always expected to give Colorado some sort of economic boost, but the latest budget proposal by state Governor John Hickenlooper suggests the returns are going to be even higher than originally estimated.
    Released on Wednesday, the proposal expects the marijuana market in Colorado to bring the state around $98 million in taxes off of $610 million in sales, significantly more than the $70 million projected back when voters first voted to legalize recreational pot.
    Since pot use became legal on January 1, Colorado has levied a 12.9 percent sales tax on all transactions, with medical marijuana taxed at 2.9 percent.
    According to the Associated Press, Hickenlooper's budget proposes spending the incoming cash on substance abuse programs and youth marijuana prevention. Specifically, $45.5 million would be set aside for youth prevention purposes, $40.4 million for substance abuse treatment, and $12.4 million for public health. Additional proposals were made for campaigns that spread the word regarding marijuana's health risks.
    "We view our top priority as creating an environment where negative impacts on children from marijuana legalization are avoided completely," Hickenlooper wrote in a letter to legislative budget writers, the AP noted.
    On top of the sales tax, though, Colorado has also implemented a 15 percent excise tax on the drug. The state intends to spend the earnings from this tax on school construction, and Hickenlooper expects to reach the $40 million level originally projected.
    Pot sales have been strong in Colorado ever since shops began selling the drug, which is moving at even higher prices than predicted. As RT reported in January, sales exceeded $5 million in the month's first week, and the state is even attracting visitors from other states interested in experiencing “pot tours.”
    Meanwhile, the only other state that's legalized recreational marijuana has also released its own projections regarding tax proceeds. As reported by the Yakima Herald, Washington is expected to rake in $190 million in pot taxes over a four-year period beginning in 2015. As in Colorado, those numbers are subject to revision once consumers can actually get their hands on the product.
    "Voters and state lawmakers around the country are watching how this system unfolds in Colorado, and the prospect of generating significant revenue while eliminating the underground marijuana market is increasingly appealing," Mason Tvert, of the Marijuana Policy Project advocacy group, told the AP.
    While other states continue to forge their own path on pot – Alaska will vote on legalization this August, as may Oregon and Washington, DC – 18 congressional members recently petitioned the White House in an attempt to reclassify marijuana or simply remove it from the illegal substances list. President Barack Obama had previously ruled out unilateral action on the matter, though these members believe it's within his power to have the Justice Department take action.