Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Should I Decarboxylate When Making Cannabis Lotion?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by skinny ninja, Feb 17, 2014.

1. #1 skinny ninja, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
    I'm going to be making some cannabis infused lotion for my grandmother who is suffering from arthritis. She has never used marijuana in any form before, and she doesn't want to get an actual buzz from the medicine. I've been reading some mixed opinions on whether or not to decarboxylate the cannabis before infusing it with the oil. It seems to make the cannabinoids turn to active THC, does this just facilitate pain relief or induce a high as well?
    Mostly wondering because I know that it's import to decarb before making oil for edibles to strength potency. I have some experience in edibles, but none in lotions and creams. Some people seem to agree that not decarboxylating retain the CBD and CBN that gives major pain relief, while others disagree.
    On a side note, could I use a large amount of vaped buds in an attempt to achieve a mostly CBD therapeutic lotion?

2. #2 Honokiol, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014

My experience is it works about as well either way.  My personal taste is to blend both and dose when I'm ready to go to bed at night.  A little Δ9-THC helps me slide away on a cloud.  Why don't you look through this thread and see what you think.

http://forum.grasscity.com/blog/8289/entry-10121-sam%E2%80%99s-tincture-and-edible-index/

Sam and the folks on his thread have a bunch of experience as a group.

3. Awesome thanks for the link dude there's tons of useful information in there

4. I make topicals with vaped bud. FYI CBN is broken down THC. Heat is one cause if it

5. hmm..the decarb is to change thca to thc so it shouldn't effect cbd/cbn content

a coin toss really. :confused_2:

6. Yes, thats why its left in for 20 mins. Any longer and you start to break it down

7. In my experience working with patients, it's near impossible to get a buzz from topically applied THC unless you really overdo it. 

THC-a has some promising research showing its a powerful anti-inflammatory, but d9-THC has more information confirming its pain relieving potential. 

Personally I would stick to d9-THC and go ahead and decarboxylate. It's a more proven pain killer, and if shes just using it topically she should not experience psychoactivity.

8. thank you guys for letting my in on your conversation although a little late I am

• Like Like x 1
  9. This thread is a bit dated and just to clarify Yes if you decarb a topical can produce a stone if it's strong enough.
    I made the mistake of squeezing alcohol tincture cheesecloth bare handed and got one hell of a stone on.
    Hash Master 5000 - Dry Ice Method, Hash Oil Capsules, Everclear Tincture
    This one is mine and active and watched.
    BNW

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. #10 WeedCat, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    I always have. I have people who swear by my canna-pain relief salve so I don't dare change anything. And when you think about it, at least my coconut based salve acts like a butter to cook with as well. And since our skin is an organ (our biggest), The coconut oil acts like a carrier in helping the skin to absorb the thc. I would think you would have to cover much of your body to get a high though. I always wonder if it would show up on a drug test.