Sourcing Organic Soil Mix Components

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, Jan 23, 2014.

1. #42 thevines2, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2014
    ya i posted stuff for my area

but i been on GC from with no vpn for years. your ip address gives away location already lol

im no commerical grower

i dont even keep up with my head(id need to doing 600w 2 month cycle to keep up for my cannabis ingestion for my self alone and prob still run out getting near g per w which i wont) and i just dont have the room nor money for it.

not like i live at those stores =p

i drive short or long distances there lol

2. #43 MrTea, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2014
    Well as much as I have heard about Coast of Maine products, living in Colorado it is impossible to find that shit anywhere.  I finally found a site that will ship me Coast of Maine products for less than 5x market value, sick!!!   Only downside is the 2-4 week shipping turnover, bleh.   http://www.lifeandhome.com   

3. Great thread Jerry! Thanks so much for all your work my friend.

4. http://eurekaspringsorganics.com

Any1 check this out before?  They have all kinds of varietal shit.  Turkey compost, cow compost, horse compost, ewc, mushroom compost, dried molasses, oyster shells, crab shells, cottonseed hulls, yarrow, comfrey, horsetail, etc etc ETC SO MUCH STUFF.

5. #46 jerry111165, Feb 8, 2014
    I wouldn't even think of using Coast of Maine products if I lived in Colorado. There MUST be other options for either local or quality bagged compost? Coast of Maine is good but it's not 5X good!

Yet another reason to simply make your own.

I was glad to see a little action here this morning - I thought my thread had been forgotten lol

Edit: by the way Mr Tea, thank you for the Eureka Springs Organics link - they seem to have a fine selection of organic soil amendments. I will post this in the appropriate location on the first page right now.

J

6. Thank you Mike. I sincerely hope it can help some folks out.

J

7. 20% off EWC at Agrowinn until March 3rd - use code DRTSLE at checkout.

8. #49 MrTea, Feb 8, 2014

Unfortunately all we have is Montrose ewc, Buffaloam, Eureka Springs Organics (which I guess is only several miles from where I live).  I live in a studio apartment so unfortunately composting my own is impossible atm.  Colorado is not an organic powerhouse like Maine, Oregon or Norcal.....yet.  People here love their Hydro and Coco.

9. I've noticed that things like ewc and compost are way overpriced in CO. I can't find a cubic foot of ewc for less than $80.... ridiculous! I'm thinkin about trying to produce enough to sell. Good compost like buffaloam aint cheap either. Bout the same price as CoM from amazon. Pretty sad.

10. That IS sad - it's compost for crying out loud.

Start collecting and heaping that OM...

J

11. #52 jerry111165, Feb 8, 2014
    Mr Tea, you also have 3 places right in or around Denver that retail some of the finest commercial vermicompost in the country - Worm Power!

http://www.wormpower.net/worm-castings/location.php

J

12. #53 MrTea, Feb 8, 2014

Wow I had NEVER heard of them.  I was looking everywhere for quality EWC here.  I did pick up a 3 lb. bag from Eureka Organics  (also local) yesterday to see how it tests out.  Might as well get some Worm Power as well!  Thanks for the hookup, Jerry.

EDIT:  Upon looking it doesn't seem as if WormPower sells locally in Denver, ugh!  I'd have to drive 30 minutes to Boulder....which I might.  They seem to ship almost entirely to theupper Midwest and Northwest part of the country.  Damn.  Websites are saying $10 for 1 lb?  What?!?!

13. #54 Gandalf_the_Green, Feb 8, 2014

You're in Denver area, right?  https://denver.craigslist.org/grd/4265580504.html I found this craigslist ad.... dude is selling vermicompost for $6 a gallon and says if you want larger quantities you can call and work out a deal.  I'm sure he'd sell a cubic foot for $35.  Still a bit expensive, but way better than $80 lol.  Dunno how quality they are....  Might wanna ask him what he feeds them, and what size he screens them down to

Edit: Just saw Jerry's post about Worm Power too!

14. You cannot order directly from the Worm Power website the prices are ridiculous. Generally what they do is to sell in bulk to local retailers who then break it down into smaller amounts for resale.

I did see that there was a bunch of retailers in Colorado and I thought that they were closer to Denver but I guess that they are not as close as I thought - sorry. it still might be worth looking into some of the places in Colorado though, at least for pricing.

It is a high-quality product but if you can find something good on craigslist for those prices I'd probably go with that.

J

15. www.freecycle.org is another 'craigslist' style website to look into. You sign in with a yahoo email acct.

16. I've seen and used it TJ - we've actually given some stuff away on it. Last summer I gave away a big fat rabbit hutch we weren't using anymore. I've also gotten free perennials and cacti on Freecycle before too.

Good reminder. I bet folks could find free compost on there here and there...

J

17. #58 patriofarmer, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    Jerry,

Where were you 4 years ago with this.  I got some of the strangest looks trying to find some ingredients when I was putting together LD's mix.  I love Agway, but I asked if they carried worm castings a few years ago, and after 10 minutes I was handed a small bag of meal worms for feeding reptiles.  Figured it was the simplest ingredient to start with.  Scanned the list and Rapeseed meal was next on the list, I did not bother even asking that one, as I didn't want to spend the night in jail.

I agree with Chunk, this needs to be stuck once we reorganize this section a bit.  Great thread, thanks man!

Sorry for all the 'Likes' I stopped a few posts after AugustWest did.

18. #59 jerry111165, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014
    The cool thing is that it's still and will be ever changing - I am adding more great sources still as I come across them or as folks remind me or send them to me - just as an example, this morning I'm adding The Fertrell Company; "PRODUCER OF ORGANIC AND NATURAL PRODUCTS FOR YOUR SOIL AND ANIMALS". They manufacture and sell all kinds of excellent organic fertilizers, soil amendments, livestock feed etc all over the country at different retailers. Fertrell is "pre-fad" organics - started in 1946, they are the oldest producer of organic fertilizers and soil amendments in the country.

Trust me, I wish this thread was around when I started too lol

Thanks PF!

J

19. #60 HOWHIGHISTOHIGH, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2014
    I'm truly on the hunt for the best price/quality worm castings. It is not an easy task. Besides starting a bin that is. Amazon I got 15 ponds for 20. OR you can get 10 pounds for 20 dollars on Agrowin. The 15 pounds didn't even fill up a 5 gallon bucket. I had forgot I got a 30 pound the previous time, I was severely disappointed. So yea, I'd like closer to 50 pounds for an ok price. I shall keep searchin'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vocJgxcUQYQ&feature=kp