Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Do you think street prices in Colorado will change?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Kylerst, Jan 4, 2014.

1. I don't think the price will drop until it's 50 states legal. The number of "moonshiners" are pretty low because alcohol is a mass produced consumer product that is widely accepted. Weed right now is too specialized. When you are able to buy it at a supermarket, that's when prices will be lower.

Sorry, but no. In my country you can't buy alcohol in a supermarket. Never met a person who makes and sells moonshine.

Part of making it legal, the state will ensure that their prices are competitive and their product superior to what the black market can provide, so as to make that illegal disappear. That's why they legalise it in the first place.

3. #23 dubaba, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014
    If you know the right people Its better than a lot of store bought alcohol. When it comes to whiskey, I would rather drink moonshine than jack daniels or jim beam. There is some shitty ass moonshine out though.

But theres a moonshiner in probably every county across the south, a lot of counties have multiple moonshiners.

4. Thats not completely true. Illegal liqour is still sold quite often in some areas, and can cost more than purchasing legally.

5. #25 Wakeboard, Jan 4, 2014

Having a few people who make moonshine wouldn't really be considered a black market, really. It'd have to be larger scale.

Though your comment about it being more expensive kind of proves my point. Unless the person making it is a friend of yours and you already happen to know about it, it's unlikely you would choose this option over the legal one. What's the incentive?

6. How I see this "legalization" working

1st. State makes legal bud cheap.
    2nd. Dealers go out of business. Growers work for the state
    3rd. (if legalized on national level) This happens everywhere
    4th. (3rd if not legalized nationally)Federal Raids, nationally. All legal pot is now gone
    5th. Dealers come back, prices go through the roof cause all those "loyal" customers abandoned them.

I don't support legalization. I support decriminalization. 

7. Local prices will drop to compete with the store pricing. The big influx will be on the already booming market out of state distribution.

Right now is prime time for this. There is probably only 3 years left, max, to really cash in on the weed game in other states. Why? There are bills being pushed through right now in the Texas house talking about medical... and the inevitable legalization of marijuana. For those of you who do not know, texas has a different way of introducing bills. They must be created during legislation. Propositions (created by the voters) does not exist here. So this is a push by the politicians themselves. 

I have heard numbers, from a very reputable source (head of the NORML branch where i live) that Texas is expected to become medical in 2015, and legal by 2017. Most people say, Texas would only do this is it happened on a federal level. So there you go, go stack that bread while you still can.

8. Prices will drop if countries like Mexico legalize it, and export it to the U.S., but there will still be a market for some specialized products grown domestically.  

There is no way to accurately do this. The state authorities have their head shoved so far up their asses that they can't give accurate numbers. I've heard some of these dumb asses say that weed was $6k for a pound... I don't trust the state on any form of pricing (actually statistics in general, that shit's all rigged out the ass)

10. [quote name="Wakeboard" post="19279547" timestamp="1388854200"]Sorry, but no. In my country you can't buy alcohol in a supermarket. Never met a person who makes and sells moonshine.Part of making it legal, the state will ensure that their prices are competitive and their product superior to what the black market can provide, so as to make that illegal disappear. That's why they legalise it in the first place.[/quote]I'm going to disagree. States are legalizing it so they can get their grimy paws on more money. And I was referring to moonshiners as people that make and sell alcohol. Not specifically making white whiskey. But all alcohol. Wine, beer, liquor, etc. Supermarkets or specialized beer stores, their products are mostly created by a corporation. Which has a goal of making money. I feel small brewer( weed growers too) will always make a better product. And will be cheaper, Mostly because of state or federal taxes. But still a better product because they care about the individual more. Yes there will, one day, be far less individuals growing and selling weed but it will never go away. And still always be cheaper because of the risk of doing something illegal and getting caught.

11. Nah it won't dude. Think about Moonshiners. People are going to want stronger than the store can get and at a tax free price. 

12. #32 ChaliTuna, Jan 4, 2014
    You obviously have no clue what you're talking about, macroeconomics is on a way bigger scale there's too many variables in play to know what would actually happen. With legalization comes more usages, taxes can come into play and cause inflation and very well rise to street prices or being higher. Thus creating people to undermine the public. Without it, yes a black market is created but that just leaves the price scale to the producer and consumer, i can very well get it cheaper now than i would in Colorado. 

P.S. Yes moonshine is better than store-bought alcohol, it's a way higher proof than our limit here in California (151.) Personally i buy 94 proof gin but i have gotten some different flavor moonshine from a mid-west state and there is a HUGE difference.

Okay for starters, thanks for your patronizing tone. Though you chose your words quite wrongly. Single industry supply-demand models would be microeconomics not macroeconomics. Secondly, I have a degree in Economics, so I do know what I'm talking about. Though thanks for your concern. 

Taxes do not cause inflation. Inflation has nothing to do with what we are talking about. You don't know what inflation is if you think it can be observed in a single good. Inflation is an observable increase in the cost of goods economy-wide. An increase in price of a single good is not inflation, it is just a price increase.

It will take time for scale to set in, years really, but once it does, mass production will be cheaper. Once this happens, the price of the good after taxation will be comparable to the street market value at present.

However, with more people buying from state-legalised locations, both the demand and supply for and of illegal marijuana will decline. The industry will all but disappear, except for a few fringe people who are not concerned with profit maximization and cost minimization. It is likely however, that the the supply will decrease more than the demand for it, because of the legal consequences associated with producing it. Thus the price will increase as the market for illegal marijuana becomes less competitive. Marijuana operates in what we call a Perfect Competition market. Thousands of producers all making highly substitutable, near identical products. Once the legal market opens up, the cost of operating illegally increases. In such competitive markets, prices are determined by the value of its marginal cost. 

Today, I don't know a single person who makes alcohol in their homes for purpose of sale. Yes some people make moonshine, though 9 times out of 10 they are not selling it, but simply providing it for their friends and family. As said before, they are not making it to earn a profit, as it is no longer a profitable industry. Today, I have no fucking clue who to ask or where to go in order to get moonshine, and I don't know anyone who does. This is proof of a lack of a supply. Which, as stated before forces prices upwards.

14. [quote name="dubaba" post="19279497" timestamp="1388853432"]You ever heard of moonshine? There will always be someone looking to sell a better and cheaper product. I could easily see people growing there own, avoiding all of the government shit and taxes, and sell their shit for cheaper.[/quote]Moonshine is largely a novelty. Don't get me wrong, the moonshine business isn't going anywhere now that it is stabilized. But can you say moonshine is as big as it was in the prohibition age? No not even close. Moonshine is no longer a huge money making business like it was in the prohibition age. Like I said, mostly it's a novelty. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Well, retail weed seems to be more expensive than street prices in Colorado, I think that's probably because its in such high demand there right now, give it a couple months and the retail prices will drop, making street prices drop.

16. You really do not realize why it's illegal in our country then do you? It's due to the money, yes looking at that aspect is considered microeconomics. The thing you're not taking into thought is macroeconomics. Legalizing marijuana changes up a lot of variables, i was just hoping you were knowledgeable to at least understand that with your 'degree'. Inflation would very well happen with it because of how diverse the market would be. Marijuana isn't just used for consumption buddy. Not only are people hired to grow, but they need construction workers to make buildings for it, people to harvest it, people to sell it and so many more different jobs are created. Hemp is one of the most versatile products, it's used in practically everything if you want to try.
    It's a huge step for America, but you just can't judge truly whether it would help or hurt our current situation. As much as i preach medicinal marijuana, there's just TOO many variables that come into play.

You have not visited the Southern or Eastern part of our country I imagine then. Moonshine will always be desired, and with that there will always be a market. It might be hard for someone as ignorant as you, but that's as you see it.

Once again, your logic makes no sense...if business for Marijuana became 'mainstream,' I can guarantee you that it would be just as regulated as mass produced alcohol is made these days. People who are ACTUALLY in that business and have SEEN that business know how much of a nuisance it is. There will ALWAYS be people doing it at home and undermining those businesses. I know for a damn fact you wouldn't see me buying from a store where I get taxed for that. I'd be growing it myself just as a lot of others would. Mass production IS cheap and always will be cheap regardless of legality, hell it could be even more expensive AFTER just due to regulations from the government.

When you think about it too, if it's really legal, then most people wouldn't ever go to a store because a huge percentage would have it growing. In the rare case people wanted to buy it, it could be just as expensive if not more just due to those circumstances.

It's not clear, but you can't just jump to conclusions...we have to see how things play out