Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Prices of recreational MJ in Colorado

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Cadejo, Jan 2, 2014.

1. So I live in beautiful Denver CO (oh yeah) and I haven't bought any recreational from a dispensary but I heard prices are expected to be around $50-$60 for an eight!! (and expected to go up) Dont know if that's true, but those are the prices you would pay 2 or 3 years ago. Here you can get an eighth of basically any strain for $20-$25 just about from anybody.

Just wondering if any of you bought any of it yet and how much it was, and also how is this going to turn out for thedipensaries when you can buy it so cheap elsewhere.

2. #3 Hypoxic, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
    I read an 1/8 was going for 50-60 to rec users since the tax rate on it is like 25%. Med card holders do not have to pay the tax so it's cheaper if you have a recommendation. I think CO is in for a shock when they see what supply and DEMAND does to their precious low prices (I say precious genuinely as I'd hate to lose the kind of prices seen out west). But there will be such a big short term rush that dispensaries will hike the price up for rec to protect the med patients interests in obtaining medication. I think this will change once more people exercise their new right to grow on their home.

3. #4 ReturnFire333, Jan 2, 2014
    Prices will go down as the hype goes down. Just like videos games on release you pay $60, a year later you pick the same game out of the bargain bin.

4. #5 Bamboobam, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    I think as time goes on, prices will eventually drop. It's the first time anyone is buying like that so it's expected to be a bit more expensive away from the black market.

5. #6 BrendanTen, Jan 2, 2014
    you have to remember that it is different from that because it's still marijuana they are not selling any other drug,games go on sale because new and better ones usually come out and it is not like were getting a new and better substance

6. Still the same principal, once the supply meets up and overlaps the demand the prices will drop.

7. #8 Cadejo, Jan 2, 2014
    It was like that when dispensaries started to appear like Starbucks on every city block, competition was so much that in a few months the prices dropped about $30.

It just seems crazy that people are paying that much just because it's the new thing when they can get the same quality for half the price from a different source. But I guess buying from them is about supporting the initiative.

8. I had a friend check out pueblo it's a bust. Then she tried to buy from me o_O

9. #10 OneOfTheGoodOnes, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    "A cheer from about 100 fellow customers as Phillips made his purchase, an eighth-ounce sampler pack containing four strains of weed - labeled with names such as "King Tut Kush" and "Gypsy Girl" - that sold for $45 including tax."
    http://news.yahoo.com/colorado-girds-first-ever-retail-marijuana-sales-39-010521900.html

"They are selling per gram, Hunchar said. A gram ranges from roughly $11 to $22, depending on the quantity in stock. That means an ounce, the legal amount that can be purchased at once by a person at least 21 years of age, could go for more than $600. And people are paying."
    http://news.yahoo.com/colorado-pot-buyers-high-spirits-lining-legalized-sales-193741558--abc-news-topstories.html

"The price for high-quality weed at some shops was around $400 an ounce. That's about four times what smokers are paying on the black market in Colorado, according to crowd-sourced Internet surveys. Much of the extra cost was attributed to state and local taxes in excess of 25 percent."

"Just on the first day, prices in some places rose to more than $500 an ounce, and some shops announced midafternoon they would close early because of short supply. It's too soon to say whether the price spikes and long lines will persist."
    "http://news.yahoo.com/legal-recreational-pot-industry-opens-colorado-150209553.html?bcmt=1388589784966-2ac4ab52-f39c-4793-ad89-e55de5801dc9_0001cg000000000000000000000000-f1d7847f-ee8f-42cf-9af1-2d179325a05b&bcmt_s=e#mediacommentsugc_container

10. Prices are always going to be that high, the tax isn't going to change

11. Personally I wouldn't even care to pay a bit more for weed from a dispensary, saves the hassle of picking up off dodgy dealers and at least you can be pretty sure of the strain you are getting.

12. In my area 50-60$ for an eight and I don't get to buy my weed legally from a regulated market. Be glad that you can buy weed legally now and that the prices will eventually go down.

13. Stay getting from the dealers for now until prices drop

14. Give it time, they will go down.

15. What I am most surprised by is the variation.

The paper is full of adds for $100 ounces (CL too) but the top dispensaries are still getting $40+ for an eighth (plus tax). 

I think the price has settled at $150 for quality and $200 for fire on the street. In the stores its pretty close but still lots more variability. 

16. Unless it's Call of Duty aka OG Kush

17. Ability to pick strain for desired flavor and effect..

..sign me up, tax me up, and send me on my merry way.

:D

18. I got 1/4 of Grape Stomper for $83.95.  And holy crap is it the strongest stuff I have ever smoked.  I've been getting dispensary stuff for a while now, but this stuff knocked my socks right off.  I stopped smoking at 10 last night and was STILL wrecked at 7 am.  And just a tiny amount does it, too!  

I also got some candy bars.  100 mgs of TCH in each bar for $13.95.  

I think recreational prices are going to spike initially due to demand, but once the growers catch up in a few months I bet prices will start bottoming out for a while.  I've heard that owners know they may have to slash prices to make up for the taxes.  Who knows?

19. This is my thoughts exactly. U don't have to bug a guy and keep asking him if he's still coming to drop off or if he can meet u. You aren't gonna get shorted. U know exactly what you are getting everytime and can choose between all the"flavors". Sounds like a dream come true to me especially with these prices still being cheaper than some east coast prices.