GD HERMIEWhat to do with seedy bud?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by AngryWiseman, Nov 6, 2013.

1. So, I popped these KC 45 seeds a while back as a quick/easy production option when my first garden/hydro project got infected with pythium.  These are a Rudy/Sativa auto strain.  They have been an interesting grow.  Whoever said autos don't get big should check these out.  The biggest female I kept is pushing five feet easy, and I've been folding the shit out of her to try to slow her ascent down.  In three and a half gallon pots  no less.  The smallest of her two sisters is holding at three feet.
    IMG_0437.JPG IMG_0438.JPG

Now, autos are not supposed to be known for potency either; however, the breeder's description, which defied conventions and (truthfully) said their auto's would get big, also said this bud would "hit like a locomotive".  I've been monitoring these girls pretty closely and noticed a nice frost developing; and this is at four weeks after showing female sex and having lights flipped, about 8 weeks from seeds poppin': 
    IMG_0424.JPG IMG_0425.JPG IMG_0426.JPG IMG_0427.JPG IMG_0428.JPG

I noticed something amiss when I was snapping those pics; the buds were looking kind of like they were growing nodules.  My first thought was seeds, but since I had culled all males immediately upon being ID'd, and always long before they had gotten anywhere near maturity, I thought it must be an odd bud shape.  I did a quick scan through the girls looking for hermie sex and found none.  Last night I did another closer scan and found the culprit: 
    IMG_0431.JPG
     Like little used condoms left at the scene of the crime, my little girls have lost their innocence. 

So the question is, with the decent bud and trichome production up to this point, and what can only be described as moderate to heavy seed content,  do I push them through to harvest or cull and start over?  The seeds will be hermie, so no real value there, and there's too many to want to pick out to smoke the bud.  I'm thinking harvest for budder/oil/wax, but I'm wondering if the seed development is going to rob too many resources from THC production.  Don't want to waste this though:
    IMG_0432.JPG IMG_0433.JPG IMG_0434.JPG IMG_0435.JPG IMG_0436.JPG

Opinions?

2. let it finish, you put this much time in, just make concentrates/edibles and destroy/dispose of the seeds. 

3. let it go and get some more frost before you hack them down for concentrates.

4. Like they said, let it finish now, you've already came this far. Once the bud is dried, just roll it in your hands and all the seeds will fall out.

My very first grow got seeded (more than a year ago) I admit i still have some of it saved somewhere, but when we were out, i was happy to pick thru seeds and the high wasn't so bad, but i think if you smoke too much of the seed casings it gives you a bit of a headache.

5. MJ that is mass grown and used to make real rubbed hash sure as shit doesn't seem weak. I'd like to see some samples taken of seeded vs. Non seeded to see the actual levels of various cannabinoids before i declare there is a loss of potency or not.

i harvested a seed crop early this summer, of the bud it was 65%seed by weight. I doubt its potency was as good as a sinsemilla but was very stoney for sure. Much of the plants energy was put into the seed production.

Im with you, a few seeds don't make that big a difference, they are heavy.

Lots of myths about pot that people take as gospel. Even high times magazine will publish things I know are total bullshit.

7. The plant certainly does put energy into seed production, but we also have to consider the role of cannabinoids to the plant. If the terpenes and cannabinoids are there as a sort of defense mechanism, then one might conclude that it wojkdnt cut down in that department as its programmed to reproduce and protect its seeds.

horrible advice....

if there is seed production THC production is curbed. The plant makes the shift in energy to produce seeds (off spring) so bud will get worse....in terms of potency and more seeds ....

takem down!

9. Do you have any literature to support this?

10. thats fucking stupid. The buds will not lose potency, and even if it is seeded the buds will continue to grow. Better to have fat, seedy bud for concentrates than small seedy bud.

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. This. Lose weight? Sure....potency? Doubt it. Trichs are there as a protectant, can't imagine the plant would say "fuck it, I got laid its time to get lazy...who cares if I live until the seeds mature"

12. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.  I kinda dipped out for a couple days. I'm still letting the plants grow at this point.  I have to say, after spotting the hermie pollen sacs, my eyes know how to spot them and I found several more.  This bud is heavily seeded.   I think there's no denying the plant will be shifting energy to seed production, and from what I understand of the trichome's purpose, once the plant is pollinated, the plant "knows" it is at the end of its life cycle will not expect to survive past seed development, so the decrease, or lack of further increase in potency due to trichome production makes some sense.  Trichomes protect the plant, the plant protects the seeds within the calyx, so trichomes aren't doing much for the seeds themselves.  The plant sacrifices its own protection, putting all of its energy into seed production.  By the time the plant is on its last legs, the seeds should be mature and ready to pass on DNA.  At least that's how I've interpreted what I"ve read.

Has anyone ever extracted resin from heavily seeded bud or bud which has not achieved full maturity to give first hand experience with its potency, taste, consistency compared to prime bud/sweetleaf?  I'm not set up to extract at this point in time, so even to accomplish that would mean harvesting and putting it in a CVault until I get set up.  I've got some WW/Skunk 1 going in the other tent and some seeds (LSD and GSC)ready to get started if I cull this, so I'm not exactly going to be hurting for smoke. Also, I think I'd rather use the space to work on something that I can sample at the end and know one way or the other if I was on point or not.  With this, if it turns out shitty/weak/nasty, I wont know if it was because of the seeds or because of my black thumb.

13. Your theory sounds contradictory. The plants life cycle isn't over until seeds are mature. If the trichs are there to protectb the plant so it can reproduce, which is its one and only mission, then why stop when they firstbget knocked up?

I want to see some lab tests before declaring THC production, along with other numerous cannabinoids are put on hold once pollination occurs.

14. What I'm saying is, an unpollinated female is in a tizzy because she hasn't bred yet, and so dedicates her energies to self preservation to maintain maximum health to wait out her "dry spell" and also be able to live long enough to support seed maturation.  Once she is pollinated, she only has to out last seed maturation, so she shifts trichome energy to seed production, sacrificing herself to continue the lineage.
    I'm not an expert on this shit by the way, just making a logical guess.

15. I just figure that if trichs are a defense mechanism that shell keep her defenses up the whole way. Energy from further flower production diverts to seeds, but that doesn't take away from keeping them safe. Would like to see some comparisons though.