Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

First time Tincture

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by 1up23, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Hi guys, Im trying to make a glycerin based tincture and after days of research, i think I've decided on a method. I'm using it strictly as drops, not an e-cig and I'd love to hear feedback and predictions. I'm probably not making it for another few days to a week.
    Steps:
    1. Decarb 7 grams of marijuana for 20 minutes at 220 degrees
    2. Grind 7 grams of Marijuana and mix with 3.5 oz 99.7% Vegetable grade glycerin
    3. Heat mixture in double boiler for 8-10 hours, stirring twice an hour
    4. let it cool down
    5. strain marijuana from glycerin using cheesecloth
    6. Bottle remaining solution
    Questions:
    Will i have an effective solution?
    Should I freeze my marijuana first, like in PsychedelicSam's post? (If so, do I freeze before or after decarb?)
    Do you think .5ml (10 metric drops) would be effective in getting the average person medicated?
    Should I grind the marijuana before decarboxylating?

2. And does anyone know how lecithin makes THC more potent? Do i put it in my tincture directly or take it after?

Putting your reefer in the freezer can never hurt, no matter the solvent, and may even help by causing the trichomes to fall off and more easily be absorbed by the glycerin. Glycerin is a very slow solvent and can use all the help it can get. Your recipe sounds a lot like Wild Will's and hopefully it will work well for you but I wouldn't count on it having the potency you expect right out of the cheesecloth. You'll need to let the final product cure for about 2 weeks. Your ratio should be a mimimum of 1-3g per ounce of glycerin. Don't grind your pot too fine or it will be a real chore to get it strained well. If it's imported commercial weed then you won't need to decarb it, otherwise decarb first before freezing. 

I wouldn't use lecithin for glycerin, just oils and butter, unless you plan on ingesting it, and then only if you have digestive issues. Lecithin does not make the cannabis more potent. It encapsulates the THC molecules and that allows it to pass to the liver for metabolism. You'll be using mainly sublingually, I'd imagine and you don't need the lecithin for that.  :)

4. Psam is "The Tincture Man" so you'd be well advised to follow his advise. And his threads !
    H

5. @[member="PsychedelicSam"] First off, I'd like to express how honored I am to get advice from the man himself. Second off, I have another question. I'm using a thermometer to measure how hot the solution gets. What temperature do I want it to stay at? I've been reading that you should keep it below 180 F, I'd just like another opinion. And would that number change depending on what I use for the solution? Because the 180 degrees was for alcohol and I'm using glycerin.

6. #6 PsychedelicSam, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013

The honor is mine. 

I'm not an expert at using a heat method for glycerin, but I can provide you with some useful information. The basic rule is not to get your solution above 240-250F because you start degrading your cannabinoids at that range. Optimal temperatures would be 200-225F, no matter which solvent you use except alcohol, which boils around 180F. You don't have to worry about the glycerin getting so hot that it turns to acrolein because you can't get it that hot under normal circumstances. That's mainly a vapor concern. If you use butter, your temp should never get above 225F because your butter will begin to degrade. Oils you can get hotter but again, you don't want to have your cannabinoids start degrading. My preferred temperature for anything other than alcohol is 220F if using direct heat, but these days I mostly use a double boiler.  :)

7. @[member="PsychedelicSam"] Does the method of heating matter? I'm using a double boiler too. but you said 220F if direct heat. should i just try and keep my soluton at a constant 220F in the double boiler too?

8. If using a double boiler, your heat is already a constant at 212 if your water is boiling. That's as hot as it will go so you shouldn't have any worries about that.  :)

9. #9 1up23, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
    @[member="PsychedelicSam"] Thanks for the help. I think all the info I need now. I'm starting this at 1:30-2 eastern time, so it should be finished around 11.Marijuana is already Decarb'd and sitting in my freezer

10. Nice stuff, you plan on sampling little bit every week, or just let it cure.  Anyone done unheated tincture?

11. @[member="hatchbrew"] I plan on letting it cure in a dark spot for two weeks, then i'll enjoy

12. @[member="PsychedelicSam"] So as you suggested, I'm waiting for my tincture to cure. But what would happen if i put some on a bowl pack? Would it act similar as a hash oil? I know you mentioned earlier, something about glycerin turning into acrolein, whats that all about? Should I not smoke this stuff on a bowl?

Do NOT smoke it. You can vape it but no combustion. Sorry.  :)

14. @[member="PsychedelicSam"] Why can't you smoke it? what do the toxins do?

Here you go, 1up23. Here's why. 

Acrolein is mainly used as a contact herbicide to control submersed and floating weeds, as well as algae, in irrigation canals. It is used at a level of 10 ppm in irrigation and recirculating waters. In the oil and gas industry, it is used as a biocide in drilling waters, as well as a scavenger for hydrogen sulfide and mercaptans.

Acrolein is toxic and is a strong irritant for the skin, eyes, and nasal passages.

Connections exist between acrolein gas in the smoke from tobacco cigarettes and the risk of lung cancer In terms of the "noncarcinogenic health quotient" for components in cigarette smoke, acrolein dominates, contributing 40 times more than the next component, hydrogen cyanide.

So don't do it.  ;) 

16. I'm now setting one up as I had to harvest a plant early due to mold.
    I am using 7oz of glycerin.
    I am using 37.5 grams of slightly early harvested godberry and about a gram of bubblegum bho and a little bit of oil from some green poison trim.
    The godberry was water cured, decarbed and ground down to almost a powder.
    I plan to leave this in a draw turning it daily for approx 6 months.
    Hopefully it should be nice and strong when finished.
    I will keep you informed how it goes as I have never done one with no additional heating before. :)

Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. From what i understand, That'll be pretty potent. Well over 3 grams to an ounce of glycerin.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

That will be at least 5g/oz so it should be pretty good, just about perfect for glycerin and strong enough to vape.  :)

You can vaporize it, 1up23, just not smoke it, but it might gum up your vape a bit. 

19. The amount I am using is pretty much the most green material you can get in the glycerin, any more and it just ends up like a thick paste. If I turned it all the weed into oil or bho I could probably use less glycerin but I have found that you can use your weed for a second run of tincture (or at least you can use it as a base for your next run). :)

Never tried vaping it though. Might give it a go on my current batch. :)

Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. I dont have an e-cig or atomizer, just a regular vape for bud. If i put it on some bud and vape it in a vapir No2 (portable bud vape) think it'll work?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum