How Do I Clean my Acrylic Bong?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Nipples, Sep 22, 2013.

1. #1 Nipples, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2013
    I recently bought an acrylic bong, and I don't really know how to clean it properly. I've heard salt + ISO ruins the bong, and can remove the seal at the bottom of the bong and makes it leak. Formula 420 says not to use it on acrylic right on the bottle... What do I doooo D:

2. buy glass.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I didn't ask for you to tell me that glass is better... I have a glass bong, I use the acrylic when I'm going somewhere to smoke, too many broken glass pipes/bongs to risk it anymore.

So any ideas? This thing is starting to taste like shit

• Like Like x 2
  4. hahahaha

i mean...glass will solve the problem ultimately. smh

anyway. i always found that jus cleaning it out with some water and hot water will be the least damaging methods.

chems on plastic is no bueno amigo.

but still.
    small glass piece/bubbler > anything acrylic.

5. No experience on this, but would simple green work?

6. Take the bottom off. I remember this bongs, they have a lid on the bottom. That way you can clean the dirty shit from below. Dn't use alcohol and salt nor simple green or any other chemical shit.

Most you should do is scrub the inside. Loose it up with warm water.

Bowls are always metal. Take out the bowl and stem and DO sink em in alcohol and salt, those won't matter.

7. I use hot water and dish soap with a bottle brush. Since it's acrylic, it cleans off the surface resin but smears the rest of it all over the acrylic making it look even nastier. I can get glass clean, but acrylic is a pain in the ass.

8. True.
    Back in the day when I had one of em I never cleaned it. It was black anyway so you couldn't notice.
    It's just not worth the trouble.

9. Acrylic pieces are a waste of money, they're in no way close to glass. I'd toss the piece out, or give it to a friend and invest in glass on glass. Will last longer, clean easier, smell better, and filter smoke better.

10. I use to fill it with hot water and dish soap and just shake the shit out of it and than drain it a couple times that always worked

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. I cleaned my acrylic bong once with alcohol and salt. It did not harm at all. Anyway they usualy cost no more than 20$ so you really have nothing to loose.

12. You can use distilled vinegar and soak it then pick up a 2$ toilet brush from wallyword and scrub er up!

Toke On!

13. by throwing it away and buying another, you only clean glass, an acrylic if lucky will last 6-9 months

there so cheap 

14. Note: Grease, oil and tar may be removed with a good grade of hexane, naptha or kerosene. Be sure to wash these solvents off quickly to prevent damage to the acrylic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ive got a long brush that i use for cleaning the necks on my glass and acrylic, but usually some hot water and soap for acryl. some acids or harsher chemicals may mess with the plastic. if it gets really grimy well....it is acrylic...

16. Thanks to those who responded with suggestions on how to actually clean a plastic / acrylic bong. Shame on those "Know It Alls" who just say imperiously "Dude jut buy glass"  Do you take your $200 Glass bong on road trips? Do you share your $350 bong with drunk friends? Share your $100 bong in your Hot Tub? Good for you. Now Go Away. We don't care.

I only use 420 Plastic-Acrylic cleaner for MY PLASTIC/ACRYLIC BONGS. Hard to find these days at most head shops (they mostly carry the glass / metal cleaner). I spent 2 hours trying to find the Plastic-Acrylic cleaner today with no luck. Guess I hafta buy online.

For those of you who understand plastic / acrylic, this recommendation is for you. For the Glass-holes on this forum, don't bother responding. We know what you think. We don't care.

I will say to those old farts like me, do you remember bamboo bongs with a wax/pinesap coating inside? Best damned bong I ever used. Bought one in 1974 at the Oregon Country Fair. It used a tiny bell turned upside down for the bowl. You cleaned it by rinising the insides in hot water which removed the very outside of the coating, cleaning it nicely. It ran out of coating in the 1990s and split open. I miss it so much. Because of the small bowl we had a 3 hit requirement before passing it on, because the purpose of a Bong is to have the lit pot hit the water and steam up in your lungs. Sweet times...

• Like Like x 1
  17. You can get a cheap glass bong too.

18. #18 Grendelking, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
    Wait...you own a hot tub ? There is a product called No.1 Bong Cleaner. You could try vegetable oil, hot water, and a scrub pad. This last bit of advice may or may not work with acrylics. Use at your own risk. I would do a little research first...(the part about the lemon juice)...
    By taking some preventive maintenance techniques you can keep your bong almost purchase clean for a long while, you just have to make sure you take care of it, it doesn't mean cleaning and soaking your bong everyday, but simply by changing your bong water and keeping that fresh you can make sure your bong stays cleaner for awhile to come.
    Also, you can add around 10 drops of lemon juice to your bong water before a smoking session and it helps prevent residue buildup and effectively keeps your bong cleaner than without it. By adding the lemon juice you can easily lower the amount of times you need to clean your bong.
         Brillianize is another product you might want to try for acrylics. It's non-toxic. Another product for acrylic is Novus No. 1. I don't know if Novus No. 1 is non-toxic though. I don't think it is and I think you need to wear some kind of gloves when using it. If I were to choose one for myself, I would choose Brillianize.

19. Dun kno where yur from but around here convenience stores sell little glass on glass for 12-15$ some r delicate some are pretty solid and indestructible.

20. Smart blade!!!