Lets share pics of our vegetable fruit harvests

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by doinYoda, Sep 7, 2013.

The hungarian pepper looks very happy!

Are your tomatoes growing in buckets too?
    If so, how many gallons does the bucket hold?
    How often are you watering?

The most common factor in blossom end rot, is fluctuation in soil moisture, IMO and IME. Even when there's plenty of calcium available, if there is a big enough fluctuation in moisture levels, calcium uptake is limited and fruit development suffers. 

I'd keep an eye on soil moisture, supplement watering as needed, and move forward from there if / when it's necessary.

Hope this helps, and the blossom end rot issue straightens out for you. :)

2. #42 Nate489, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014
    5gal buckets, soil level is 4-6in below top. I water at least once a day if there is no rain in the forecast, twice if its above 90. We've had some pretty fluctuant weather here this year, 95 one day, with a low of 55 the next with long periods of rain thrown in. May and June were very wet months here.

The weather i feel is playing a role because I've lost some buds before they even bloomed

3. How many tomato plants can grow well in a 5-gal smartie?

Temp swings like that definitely play a role in tomato blossom drop, it stresses them.

Sounds like you're dealing with crazy weather like we have been.

I'd go with one plant, and move up to a 10-gal smartie if you can. If not, experiment and see how one does in a 5 gal. :)

5. I've got 3 in this one smartie, was hoping to maximize yield per container. I was also planning on experimenting w/ LST and topping the mater plants.

6. Yeah I get end rot when it rains heavy but it usually goes away if the rain stops

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Try it, see how it goes with the 3 plants in one container. Let us know how it works out.

8. Eh...already culled it to just 2.. :hide:

Nothing wrong with that. Happy experimenting steve! :)

10. Putting my peppers to use! My first attempt at a fermented sauce

Attached Files:

11. Not bad for 2 volunteer butternut squash plants. And these are just the ones that were ripe.

IMG_0708.JPG

12. From vine to belly in a matter of hours, not bad. Just cubed it up, tossed w/ some olive oil, salt, pepper, and ginger (I usually like to add cinnamon but it seems I'm all out), and bake @400F for 40 mins, the crispier peices are my favorite.
    IMG_0709.jpg

Also dug up some taters whose greens the potato beetles had killed off.
    IMG_0710.jpg

I was going to grab some garlic, but the bugs were pissed after my IPM and kept biting me so, tomorrow.

13. @[member="Nate489"] Let us know how your pepper sauce turns out. :yummy:

@[member="stevebomb"] Butternut squash :yummy:

Dill heads that I'll use to make pickles.
    dill heads.jpg

Some of my basil haul the other day. I ended up with 15 cups of packed basil leaves after sorting through all of it (pic taken before sorting), made enough pesto for 9 meals. :hello:
    Basil.jpg

14. Harvest yesterday:

Duganski garlic - I'm very happy with the harvest of this variety. Although I haven't tasted it yet, the smell of this garlic is wonderful!
    duganski.jpg

The first of the Kentucky Wonder Pole beans that were ready. Not much, but enough for a taste. Might have these with dinner tonight.
    kentucky pole.jpg

:yummy: :yummy: :yummy:

15. #55 Anatman, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    Nice! Thanks for putting up the picture of dill, it looks like mine's ready to be picked too :smoke:
    I wish more people used this thread, I love looking at harvests.

edit: That damn 'Organic Vegetable Gardening' thread over at the organics section keeps people from even venturing over here.

Thanks, and you're welcome! Happy to share pics whenever I can. :) 

Same here! I love looking at harvest pics. I get a kick out of what I harvest, and I really enjoy getting to see what others harvest too. 

Maybe they'll start wandering over. :confused_2: I enjoy the 'Organic Vegetable Gardening' thread whenever I have a chance to read in there, it's really cool that so many people are sharing their gardens.

17. Yeah, I like to get ideas and learn from other peoples' gardens and harvests. The organic thread is nice b/c I get to see how people grow and organize, and this thread is nice b/c I get to see at what point people harvest.

I really need to start frequenting my farmers' markets. That's the ultimate venue to check out harvests...

Couldn't agree with you more! :D It is really nice to see how others do things, the different fruits and veggies that can be grown in other zones, ideas, etc...love it! :cool:

Farmers markets rock! :metal: Another thing that's great is talking to farmers about varieties of fruits and vegetables that do well in your area. Huge plus! Same with local orchards. 

19. Left my garlic in the ground a little too long, only 3 still had tops and what they had was pretty brown and grody. It was my first year growing, so, now I know.
    IMG_0712.JPG

20. Pickling cukes, the variety that I'm growing can be harvested up to 7 inches long. This harvest (first one) I got just under 8 pounds.

picklers.jpg

Fresh garlic...YUM! :yummy: Thanks for sharing! :cool:

That's ok, like you said now you know. :)

Did you mention that you were growing garlic?
    If so, I apologize. I should have mentioned to harvest garlic when there are 3 or 4 green leaves left on the plant. There is a layer of papery skin for each green leaf, which is needed if you're going to cure and store the garlic heads for later use as well as replanting.

You have options for any of them that won't store well - use fresh (soon), dehydrate, or you could mince the garlic and cover with olive oil and freeze or refrigerate it (depending on how quickly you'll use it). As long as it tastes good, nothing lost IMO.