Lets share pics of our vegetable fruit harvests

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by doinYoda, Sep 7, 2013.

1. DoinYoda,  the Renee's Garden Garden Babies Butterhead is what performed well outside this year so that is going to be my choice for the indoor season. First time for me growing lettuce inside.

My autumn run of lettuce is up and going so as soon as I have picture worthy plants I will post and then follow up with my indoor crop in a couple months.

I have a container full of celery that appears to be nearing ready to harvest. Home grown celery is so superior to the average grocery variety. Last year it did fair and had a nutty flavor that we both liked a lot. Same variety this year and it looks to be better.

Best to all you kitchen gardeners.

2. Hi all, I am an aspiring gardener and enjoyed all your post, here is a picture of some green onions I grow in my kitchen window.

DSC00567.JPG

I bought a package of green onions at Walmart and as I was cutting one in to my eggs I thought to my self, What would happen if I planted the unused white part (the bulb?), so I tried it and I haven't had to buy green onions again. I also have some sad tomato's outside that I refuse to show you pictures of as I neglected to support my plants and as a result they look like crap and take forever to give me something useable. Well... loved all your pics!

3. #23 Pink, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2013
    @[member="albuquerquegrowcfl"] - way to go with the revegging the onions! I do the same with the celery when the mood strikes, just cut the butt and set it floating in the dish of water. It roots in a week or two in a warm place, and then you can plant it and wait for those celery stalks :) Takes forever though, celery growers will forever have my respect just for patience :D

Doin - I'm in suburban NY, we started getting really cold nights lately (around 40s), so I'm prepping for a winter. Got my strawberry field in order, and harvesting herbs and seeds as of late mostly. Here's the borage seeds I got out of garden refuse this morning, planted them in my hopefully no-till 15 gal soil pot indoors, I have a 1,5 month old ganja plant growing in it. It's said to be a great companion plant and it is also a very healthy green thing to eat (omega fatty acids). Comes to worst I'll just use its leaves as a nice nutritious mulch for my soil-bound indoor pot girls :D

View attachment borage.jpg

This is my soon-to-be-harvest (probably tonight or tomorrow). I just planted the tree this spring, I know they say to pick all the blossoms for the first year of the tree in the ground, I just couldn't help myself and left 3 apples to get ripe. My canine has been eye-balling those 3 apples all summer long. He loves apples and eats all apple cores we ever have. Other then that he is a terrible helper :p Destroyed half of the lawn trying to catch a mole, and never got lucky, only got yelled at :laughing:  So I say you got lucky with Seb :D
    Apple.jpg

And the last I wanted to share a very very simplified jalapeno recipe. I've been playing with those jalapenos for whole summer this way and that way. Cooking for a family every day I really don't want to put the oven, or grill, or even a toaster oven on for myself only, ever. Especially when I only have one or two peppers I'd like to eat for lunch. So...I stuff them with cooked rice (almost always on hand) mixed with cream cheese and whatever you want in between (bacon, olive bits etc), set them on 1 inch thick bed of rice, splash of chicken broth in there, small flame. 5 minutes of monitored cooking in a covered pot, and voila! - lunch is all ready :)  I know it doesn't look terribly appetizing but it is as yummy as it gets. And easy, and very healthy, and light.
    jalapeno lunch.jpg

I'm gonna bring my jalapeno plant in my grow room and continue to grow and enjoy it in a winter. I really grew to love it. Gotta spray it with Spinosad a few times before I actually put it in the room, but I feel it's well worth it. She's been a very prolific good girl.

Have a good week Doin and all :D  :wave:

4. Hey Pink!

I read somewhere that it is not good to let your dogs eat many apple cores because the seeds contain aresenic. Just Saying!!

Spiritsmoke.

By the way thanks for the advise on the lights and scrog for my future grow ( in organics lounge)!!

5. Hey Spiritsmoke :) Thanks for mentioning the apple cores and my pleasure with any tidbits of advise I can offer. I really was super impressed with my newbie scrog outcome, so I can not keep my mouth shut ever when it comes to keeping the plants contained and a max yield out of a small space.

Didn't know about the arsenic, but I do know the apple seeds contain cyanide, so I don't give him the cores all that often. Took my kids apple picking today and the dog was not allowed in the orchard, he looked completely heartbroken haha. Well, he got a nice juicy bone when we got home and "dropped dead" shortly after finishing it, being overloaded with new experiences :p No coming to sleep in my bed tonight I guess :)

6. Hello!!  :wave: So today was the first day of snow!! got some cool pictures of the garden flowers 'Love Lies Bleeding' with snow on them.. Pretty neat I thought I'd share it with you all. I ended up getting a 16oz jar full of black beans and a bunch of red and black (bloody butcher ~ black aztec) corn for decoration cause I got in the ground late due to I originally ordered GMO corn  :eek:  :mad:  :mad:   :eek:
    And the last one to remember spring is now on its way

Attached Files:

7. Wow!!! Not much in the garden!!
    Guess i will have to give it a bump!

My strawberry plants i planted last year. They were left in a cars truck for close to a week before i was given them!! Practically dead. I plantef them and at least kept them alive through last summer. No fruit :( but they lived :D

They have been blossoming strong and growing incredibly!!! I have been feeding them with Nectar for the Gods nutrients at the same levels as my "indoor" plants and they LOVE it. 1400307629949.jpg

There are 3 plants in all, that one is the largest. Once the berries really come in i will toss up another!
    ;)

8. Wow that all looks awesome I've planted about four rows of peaches and cream
    About two rows of a variety of tomatoes including better boys
    Celebrities
    Early girls
    And about five hills of Clemson spineless okra
    And two rows of Shelly beans
    And two green bell pepper plants
    But have had issues with groundhogs

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. Just harvested my first round of herbs and lettuce today...

Attached Files:

Great salad jonny :D I bet it tasted heavenly :yummy:

11. Our first harvest of Oregano this season.
    Oregano 1st harvest.jpg

Garlic Scapes, that I used to make pesto with some EVOO, basil, asiago cheese, pine nuts and walnuts. :yummy:
    Garlic scape.jpg

I've been picking grape leaves to make stuffed grape leaves, and for making pickles. @[member="augustwest"]
    grape leaves.jpg

We're really looking forward to tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, beans, corn, etc....:hello:

*fingers crossed that we all have a very fruitful gardening season*

12. What's kind of herbs do you got going?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. oregano, chives, sweet basil, dill, cilantro, rosemary, and thyme are my outside herbs.

14. @[member="jonny.blaze/420"] Nice selection of herbs! :)

The other day I harvested some Romaine lettuce, and green onion to make a salad. The extras were thoroughly dried and put in the crisper.
    Romaine leaf harvest.jpg
    Evergreen bunching onion harvest.jpg

15. Just a few diff fruits and vegetables picked today some better boy and celebrity tomatoes two green bell peppers and about a dozen peaches and cream ears of corn the corn did awful this year

And a cucumber I forgot to mention

Attached Files:

16. @[member="aspliffaday"] Nice veg! :yummy: Thanks for sharing. :cool:

Italian flat leaf parsley
    It flat leaf parsley harvest.jpg

Mulberries
    Mulberry harvest.jpg

Cutting celery - smells and tastes just like stalk celery, looks like more like parsley.
    cutting celery harvest.jpg

Susanville garlic - not impressed with the production of this particular garlic, atm. However, it could be 'gardener error', planted a month late last fall. I'll keep it around a few more years and see if it improves.
    Susanville garlic harvest.jpg

17. Picked all of these today. I have 2 Cayennes, 1 jalapeño and 1 Hungarian Hot plant. I had no clue how big the Hungarians got! So massive.

I have a pony express tomato plant as well, plant is super healthy and has lots of tomatoes on it but I'll be damned if every one of em ain't rotting. I've fed them with a kelp and crab meal tea, topped dressed with EWC, kelp, crab, bone meal and watered and foliar sprayed with Protekt and Epsom salt. Soil is a homemade mix of petemoss and compost as a base. It drains super well, my peppers are rocking which is why im lost. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

18. #38 doinYoda, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014

Nice peppers Nate! :yummy:

Will you post a pic of the tomato rot that you're talking about, please?

eta: Is it the first round of tomatoes on the plant?

19. Its end rot mostly. The first rounds have all rotted yes, the 2nds are coming in and i see a few of them starting too as well. I've been pulling them off as i spot it. The few that didnt rot early are developing flat spots :/

Ill try to get some pics in the morning

20. Heres what im dealing with.

And a shot of my hungarian plant as well

Attached Files: