Lets share pics of our vegetable fruit harvests

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by doinYoda, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Let's share pics of our vegetable & fruit harvests! 

The other day I spent a couple hours tending to the garden, here is some of what I have harvested.

Jalapeno peppers and Cosmic Purple Carrots
    jalapeno & carrot harvest.jpg

Thai red chili's, green beans, Jupiter peppers, and a combination of paste, slicing, and early salad tom's. 
    peppers & toms harvest.jpg

Jericho Romaine lettuce. 
    romaine harvest.jpg

Now, what do ya say? Let's see pictures of your harvest, too. :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. From left to right.

1- Nice ass eggplant

2- Butterhead Lettuce

3- Stupice Tomato, salad cukes, Ladyfinger Eggplant

4- the Guarden Dog

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Today's tomato harvest. I also picked a few late cukes and some of the last of the corn for tonight's dinner.

With these nice fresh tomatoes I've been making nice thick tomato sandwiches every day for my lunch - some good bread, fresh tomatoes, Hellmans and a little celery salt and coarse ground pepper - yummy! image.jpg image.jpg

J

• Like Like x 1
  4. Excellent idea, Doin :)   :wave: I'll be happy to pitch in.

DSC02901.JPG

I learned how to harvest them right by hand without taking the butts off, took a season lol.

2013-06-08 14.29.31.jpg

I harvested about 6 of those popcorn bowls within June-July, and my family of 4 was fully covered with the berries for a season, and I even froze some. Those extras got washed and dried, sprinkled with sugar and frozen on sheets. I use them instead of ice-cubes in drinks, big hit anytime party or not.

Now, this is not a harvest picture per se, but the girl is very picture worthy imo, and she matures gradually so harvest gets eaten right there at the spot. The fruit is surprisingly sweet. Just like cherry toms, only meatier. She is grown from seed, self-sown, kind of, the heavy rain washed tops of my seedling pots'  in the drain path, and that's where she decided to get born and prosper :confused_2:  :laughing: Sorry about LSF spot in the middle, I try to catch up but it's really hard this summer. The weather is not great at all here for gardening outdoors this summer.

2013-09-07 17.07.01.jpg

And last but not least my mystery vine fruit. It sprouted in the pot of the plant which I mail-ordered from nursery in South US, and so far it's been very resistant to whatever fate brings it's way, just keeps chuggin' no matter what.  So I'd like to harvest it, eat it and have viable seeds for next year. I'm hoping that somebody knowledgeable on here tells me what it is and how I know that it's ripe for harvest.

2013-09-07 17.10.01.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for sharing Sam, Jerry & Pink Russian, :cool: Very nice! :hello:

Pink Russian, that looks like cantaloupe. The green on the rind will turn tan / yellow when its ripe, or nearly ripe. Look for a crack in the stem near where it attaches to the fruit, it should come off easily when it's ripe. Depending on the 'type', it could take 70 to 90 days for ripe fruit. Worth the wait either way, IMO. :yummy:

6. #7 Pink, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
    Thanks guys :D And thank you Doin for an input on a melon. You guys have so many varieties here, I'm blown away. I'm used to only one kind, smooth-skinned yellow cantaloupe with raw honey colored flesh :smoke:  That said, I'm not a big fan of that European kind, so I am excited to see who this one is going turn in to. Maybe it's my true chance to fall in love with the cantaloupe :p

Edit: The stem is pretty green and meaty looking all the way into the fruit, still, so I think it's going to be about month to harvest, at least. I'll post the pic :yummy:

7. I forgot to ask - what are you gonna do with your jalapenos, Doin? I have jalapeno plant myself, been cutting 3-4 peppers every week recently and making poppers out of them, but I see many more being ready soon, and I don't think I can eat that many poppers :eek:  :laughing:

Poppers :yummy: Now I want some poppers. LOL

I'll probably use most of the jalapenos for salsa. They make a good pizza topping, a good addition to pepper steak, chili, BBQ sauce and whatever else I think could use a little extra kick. If there is any left at the end of the season, I'll dehydrate them. :)

Here's my favorite dish with fresh jalapenos....... :yummy:

\tSouthwestern Grilled Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers 
    http://www.parade.com/53764/donnaelick/southwestern-grilled-bacon-wrapped-jalapeno-poppers/

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hey PR, I agree - canteloupe! Very sweet and yummy chilled for breakfast or anytime I guess. Love your gardens folks!

I love my veggie garden as much as my cannabis garden and sometimes even much more. Growing your own food, especially organically is such a thrill to watch it grow - there's always so many smiles from the family or anyone who sees it.

Yoda - great job and idea with this thread!

J

11. Hello all!! Good morning to ya. So heres a look at the garden sorry I don't have many harvest pics but i've been getting fruit for a while now. I had a run in with some GMO corn so i wasn't able to get it into the ground till 10 june. I got Black beans in with the corn for support/soil builder. Everything is from seed. Yoda- My cantaloupe is a volunteer as well, I got it in some of my potting soil from my local compost company. I love organic gardening it produces the best tasting fruit that mother nature has to offer. We must all come together and burn the GMO and stop the all of the pesticide,fungicide,herbicide use!! 

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hey Doin,

I can see that your family likes hot and spicy :hello:  :D Good for you, you might not have anything to dehydrate at the end of the season then. My guys wont ever touch any hot peppers, so more for me :) Definitely turkey bacon-wrapped poppers on my menu today, thanks for the recipe, Chunk!
    My pick of the day -

View attachment 2013-09-08 11.31.33.jpg

I forgot to mention, your chili's look like straight fire! And I am jealous about yours and Sam's pristine lettuce. You guys evidently have great pest management program in place. Guarden dog looks full of responsibilities :laughing:

Bma - awesome garden! What are those purple things? Never saw them before :confused:

Have a great Sunday everyone!

13. The lettuce fared well this year, not so with the kale. Next season it will be different. Ah well.

This winter I am going to attempt an indoor grow of lettuce -  I do like lettuce, a lot!

The guarden dog is partially responsible for pest management and yet in the same instant, holds no plant so sacred that she will not run through it! ah well.

Happy Harvest to all.

14. Thanks Pink! If you're referring to the big flower when you say purple things Its called Love Lies Bleeding. They are more of a crimson red than purple. If not then thats my eggplant poor picture quality/lighting. we have a lot of smoke right now from the Yosemite fire so the lighting is off till the sun comes outta the red. Ok so I do have a harvest picture I just had to pull a harvest to get it hahaha duh! :hello:  And although I don't have a garden dog I do have a garden Panther! and I can't leave out the 7 toed grasshopper catching wonder she does work on the pest control for my beans  

Attached Files:

15. I'm really open to any discussion as to folks favorite vegetables or specific varieties of vegetables - I'd really like to make next year a year that I add some really cool and fun (and yummy!) plants into my garden. Both this summer and last summer I've worked out of town and have only been home on the weekend so it's really been a "same old same old" due to time constraints - next summer I want to do things differently. I'd really enjoy any and all suggestions from you folks!

BMA, I'm not sure if we've met but it's nice to meet you - very interesting "flower"? :)

This year my youngest and I also installed a new raised bed out front. We (man, again - due to time constraints) just planted a "butterfly pack" of assorted flowers into it that we started indoors. I've honest to god never seen growth like this - ever ever ever. It was to the point of completely out of control and laughable. I had wanted 2-3' flowers and ended up with 7'-8' flowers towering Way over our heads. I'd really like any ideas from you guys (and gal!(s) about what I could plant in it different next year. It's right in front of my (our) house.

I kind of mixed this bed up Hugelkultr style. I filled it a little more than halfway with the most rotten logs I could find out in the woods and then I mixed up an organic soil on top of the logs - it's mostly composted horse manure/stall bedding with several big sacks of buckwheat hulls and the usual amendments. I just think it might be nice to do something different with it next season and would love some input! It was fun watching the hummingbirds around it though.

Don't mean to get off track but its kinda gardening related... ;)

J image.jpg

16. Our gardens never look this good! Between heat, drought, and the unholy-hoard of grasshoppers we are lucky to eat more than Mother Nature. I never get a real harvest but feel the need to garden every year. This next year we will do some raised beds and something smaller, maybe we can manage it better.

Peace :wave:

17. #18 bma1933, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2013
    Jerry- Nice to meet you as well. The flower is call Love Lies Bleeding It is a very beautiful flower my favorite actually the plant gets 4' on average but i think in better soil they would really take off. My flower beds are not as rich as i would like this is the first year here and my native soil is really bad so it only has a small amount of compost and garden soil mixed in next year will be better i'll amend the soil this fall and again in the spring. 
    I think you should add some of these flowers Jerry, I really love em cause of their cola like structure just in tasel form. The plant has one main flower stock and the tons of little ones. Its a neat plant to look at and watch grow. Lots of people have never seen it before so its fun in that way as well. Also an heirloom so you can save your seeds of the biggest and best   
    Edit- The hummingbirds really like them but I dont think they offer much.

Attached Files:

18. I'm always up for cool and unusual. I can see the hummingbirds being attracted just by the deep red color.

Hillbilly, I've really gotta recommend the style of raised bed I built this spring that I described above, half filled with very rotten wood. The wood acts as a sponge - drought-be-gone. I'm sure that because it also never totally dries (I didn't water it once all summer after the initial setup) that it works perfect in conjunction with a living soil.

Organics FTW!

J

19. Jerry, I think it's a great idea to discuss likes, dislikes, etc...of different varieties of fruits and veggies. Thanks for sharing your flower bed, beautiful! :cool: 

bma, very cool flowers! 

Sam, I'm with you on the lettuce. More than likely I'll be growing some indoors this winter as well. What's your favorite?

Pink, Very nice pick of the day. :yummy: So much color! :hello:
    You're so sweet, thank you. I've been fortunate not to have too many pest problems this season. Seb helps, he walks by and licks everything. (He's my block-head puppy) :p So far, he's eaten every bug he's come across, except for crickets and earwigs. :laughing:

Chunk, thanks for sharing the Southwestern Grilled Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers recipe, I'll have to make some. :)

Ok, I'll share the basket of tom's I picked, before making sauce last weekend. 

Preserving Tom's for sauce.jpg

How is everyone's harvest going?