htg complete grow tent kit 400w

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by 4Medical, Sep 2, 2013.

1. What size pots do you recommend for the 4 plants?

2. #42 rizzo30, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2013

Well, that one really depends.  I don't have experience with using a 1000 watt light quite yet, but I'm thinking about switching to them in the future.  Currently I grow four plants under a 600 watt light at the moment.  When I used Fox Farm Soil and their bottled nutes, I got away with 5 gallon pots which created a 4 oz plant per pot.  Since then I have switched to organic and noticed the hard way that I can no longer get away with a 5 gallon pot.  I am now using 10 gallon pots under my 600 watt light in hopes of pulling either 4 or 5 oz per plant.  If I was to use a 1000 watt light, then I would probably opt for at least a 15 gallon pot or probably even a 20 gallon pot considering that I don't plan on growing any other way besides organic.  The bigger the pot the bigger the plant.  On the other hand, too big of a pot takes too long to dry out.  I like my 10 gallon pots under my 600 since I can go a good 5 days without watering.  I would go with something at least that big or bigger.  If you use bottled nutes you can get buy with a smaller pot, but a bigger pot will allow for more root growth.

Please note that I am also referring to using four pots or plants per tent.  Meaning in example I use four 10 gallon pots under a 600 while I would use four pots of at least that size or bigger for a 1000 watt light. 

3. i have everything ready to go, tent is all set up.  so tomorrow i'll try to figure out how to hook it all up.  what has to go inside the tent besides the light?  i need to look at some set ups, lots of photos that help.

i was hoping to use 5 gallon pots, guess i need to rethink that.

4. Have you grown before? I use 15 gal pots. I only need to water every 5-7 days. I watched a video yesterday of a huge growing operation in Colorado. It explained everything about how they grow their crop. Since I had never even seen a cannabis plant before I started growing this summer, it was very informative. They suggested bigger pots.. 15-30 gal. Their water schedule is day 1 fertilize, day 2 plain water, day 3 nothing. It would seem to me that the plants never have time to dry out, which leads to root rot. They had a ton of fans going so maybe that dries the plants out. They also changed their light bulbs. One kind for veg & a different kind for flowering. There is so much to learn about growing this stuff. Thank God for forums like this one.
    Be careful putting your tent together. I read somewhere that a guy put a tent up & the connections buckled because they were not strong enough when he hung the light etc. He had to reinforce them. Squashed his plants.
    Were you successful growing tomato plants indoors? I live for tomatoes in the summer. In Mich the tomato season is short.

5. looking into the organic forum again, the 5 gallon pots seem to be big enough, right now i plan to get 6 and make my own soil mix.  i'm always around so i can water as needed.  thanks for the heads up on the tent crash, those rods aren't that strong.  so i hope i can put most of the equipment outside the tent. 
    i start tomatoes and other vegetables indoors during the winter, but then i transplant them outdoors.  i got carried away last winter and started all of my old seeds and some new heirlooms i bought.  i ended up with 300-400 tomato plants, didn't expect them to all germinate, lol.

6. Take a picture of your system when it's done.

7. oh yeah, definitely photos i think are required.  i want to make sure my hook up is right and i'm positive i'll be directed to a better set up or at least some great tips.  so i need to show my project.
    do you have photos?

8. Something else I read today from a grower with 35 years experience. Take the power cord from your light & anchor it down somehow so that if the chain that holds the light breaks the cord will stop the light from falling on your plants.
    I have only grown outdoors. Would like to try indoors as soon as my crop is done.

9. #50 4Medical, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013
    i have some questions on ventilation setup.  can i use the air inside the tent to cool the light or do i have to vent to the cool tube from outside the tent?  i'd like to leave one end open if possible.
    i have the filter and inline fan outside the tent.  right now the ducting runs from the cool tube inside, to outside the tent to the reducer for the inline fan.  i have reducers so the 8" fan fits the 6" filter.  right now i have the fan sitting on top of the filter using the reducers, no ducting except where it attaches to the top reducer.  can i leave it like that or is a problem?
    i'll try to attach a photo to show what i mean in case i'm not making sense.  if i can leave it like this i plan to anchor the fan to the wall or i'll attach a board to the desk to attach the fan to.
    fanfilter.jpg

10. It can work that way if you want to run multiple tents.  Thats how I am running mine right now.  Its not the best way since there is no prefilter this way and it does create a bit more resistance I think for the air going out the filter.  The other way is to hang the filter inside the tent at the top.  That way you pull through the filter with your prefilter on of course, then route your six inch duct from that filter to the cool tube, then connect the other end of the cool tube to duting and run it outside of the tent to the fan to suck air out.

11. i'll take another look later about hanging it inside.  good to know i can leave it like it is now though.  such a relief to finally be getting it all together, so much to learn, i had no idea.  so glad for the help.  thanks.

12. I am pushing air through my filter and it has been working fine like that for two years.  I think its more recommended that you pull the air through your filter though.  I think that way it would have less resistance and it can also have a prefilter which will prevent dust from setting into the pores of your carbon.  I will say that my fan has been running for two years also and there is a lot of dust inside of it.  Using a prefilter I think would also prevent dirt from getting into your fan.  I don't know if it can get into the bearings or not, but mine are on its way out since it should sound the smoothest  any more.  A prefilter will probably prevent that.

13. ok now that could be a real problem here as it's pretty dusty.  is the pre-filter the white stuff that wraps around the filter?  if so what about putting that on the open end of the cool tube so it filters the dust before it gets to the fan and inside the filter?
    might be easier to just put the filter inside like you said.  i need to do some more thinking.

14. It is pretty dusty where I am at also.  Dust collects fast.  The filter is that white cotton like material that wraps around the filter.  I thought about putting it on one end of the cool tube also.  The problem there is that you have a surface of about 6 inches in diameter compared to the total area of your filter.  The filter should have less resistance since it has more area.  If you are only running one tent, I would put it inside of that tent.  Thats what I plan on doing in the future when I can get more of these filters.

15. okay.  i can put the filter inside the tent.  i still have 2 poles that go across to hang stuff on and straps and stuff.  geez tho, what am i going to do with the fan.  just went back and read your post again, the fan can still go outside.  but i'm going to have to mount it somewhere.  i had it setting on the filter before.  but that does look like the best setup that you recommend from what i've seen.  for the dust situation here.  thanks again

16. I don't know what everyone else does with their fan, but mine is just outside of my tent and it actually sits up on its side so that the ducting would be parallel with the floor.  It just stays like that or you could mount it to a wall or something.  As far as any fans inside of the tent, I just use a 6 inch clip fan.  Just clip it to the metal frame by the door and leave it on 24/7.

17. I voted.  I don't really think this should be about a banks shady practices.  All banks commit acts from time to time that are illegal.  That is a fact.  It doesn't matter if they are big or small, they will commit illegal activities from time to time.  What this is about is getting a pro marijuana commercial to air during the super bowl.  Forget the fact that these guys may have done something wrong in the past.  They are going to air some type of commercial whether you vote or not.  I think that a pro marijuana commercial would look better to these millions of fans compared to the alternatives that they offer.

18. #60 rizzo30, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2013
    Nice!  I have been voting for that Norml marijuana commercial every day also.  That would be pretty neat to see a pro marijuana add during the half time of the superbowl.

I don't know if it will be during half time or not, but just the fact that it will probably air any time in a commercial during the superbowl is cool.