Preserving the fruits of your labor

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by doinYoda, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Canning season was good to us, especially considering the late start due to weather.

We ate a lot of fresh veggies, salsa, jam, sauces, etc... and I froze some things too. The following is what actually made it thru the canner:

9 pints Salsa
    15 pints roasted garlic pasta sauce
    10 pints ketchup
    7, 4oz jars bruschetta
    7 pints pizza sauce
    5 pints green tomatoes for frying
    10 pints pickled green tomatoes
    5 pints green beans
    3 pints pomegranate syrup
    3 pints apple butter
    3 pints honey lemon apple jam
    12 pints apple sauce
    14 quarts apple pie filling

Canned goods 1.jpg

canned goods 2.jpg

We dehydrated lots of herbs, and peppers. Some of the apples I cored, sliced and dried for dog treats.

This is just a small portion of what was dried.
    Herbs and pepper mix.jpg

Thai red chili's
    thai red chili's.jpg

This was one of my canning buddies. :laughing:
    canning buddy.jpg

And I'm happy to report that my ACV turned out well :hello: I ended up making quite a few batches. ACV with mother. 
    ACV with mother.jpg

I hope that ya'll are enjoying the fruits of your labor, as much as we have, ours. 

2. Hey Sir Yoda..  :wave:
    :smoke:'s on the porch...i'm getting my spot ready for the upcoming season. I have yet to cann anything, but figured why not get in the spirit before I get to the task. Kinda build up the anxiety of it all :laughing:, I'm ready too. 

Type ya later and thanks in advance :hello: .
    :smoke:

3. Good thread :hello:  I need to buy a pressure canner for this year!

:laughing:

Welcome aboard Smokes! Hope you have a great season. :cool:

Hey Cereal :wave:

Definitely get a pressure canner, if you're able to. Sometimes I wonder why it took me so long to get one. Not sure that I'd allow myself to be without one now. 

5. #25 AugustWest, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
    doin..

you've been busy as hell!
    really nice..

i need to start drying my own chilis.. i buy/use a lot of them and they're expensive and not nearly as good.

also cool to see mason jars being used for legal stuff! :D

Hey AW! :wave: :love:

I agree, store bought dried chili's are definitely lacking. If you do start drying your own chili's, I should warn you...best chili's ever! :hello:

I'm probably going to need a new dehydrator soon, I think I've already warn out the one I got last summer. :hide: :laughing:

7. #27 dlsmokes, Feb 25, 2014
    Yeah I'm hoping to have something to preserve. Especially chilli's. I eat a lot of thai food, and this lady makes this green sauce from fermented fish, and pickled chilli's. Its so gooooooooooood, but she won't teach me to make it unless I will picle my own chilli's. Damnit, but I'm game.

Haaaa, just realized your a damn Lady...my bad.
    I apologize, and I do because I have CAH, and people mistake me for a guy (in real life, of course) all the time. I hate it...so this is why the long explanation. Touches home is all.
    :smoke: y

You're so lucky, I'd pickle my own chili's for sure! Here's to an awesome growing season *clink*
    You'll have to let me know how it goes when she teaches you how to make the green sauce. :) 

No worries, it's all good! :)
    I'm sorry to hear that you have to deal with that all the time. *kicks people* 

9. I'm hoping (and betting) that I'll feel the same! I can tomatoes and pickles without it, but I'd like to be able to save other things for rest of the year. Think it'd pay off pretty quick.

Done a little of that fermentation stuff as well. I won't talk more on that, as I'm unsure if discussion of that's good by GC rules or not :eek:

My moonshine empire plans haven't exactly come through :p

10. #30 dlsmokes, Feb 25, 2014
    well I don't necessarily blame them its not like I will ball read some skirts and shit...lmao. I just get kinda pissed when I tell people and they still call me a guy that's kinda irritating.

I'm going to start laying out bags for my plot next weekend so I'll definitely post some photos for y'all.

EDIT: I'm also seeing that there are a lot of things that we are missing out on being as though we eat all natural or try to eat organic. All the shit y'all talking about it so damn expensive, we don't buy it all the time, but I guess if I was making one big batch a year of beef jerky and hella hot it would be exactly how I wanted it. I'm so glad I subscribe to this thread!

11. Dried chilies are the fucking bomb :smoke: nice and hot too!

Do you use your dehydrator for jerky as well? Think that's still my favorite use for it :yummy: my girlfriend dries fruit with it all the time. We have a big ass container still half full of homemade trail mix :laughing:

I agree, it'll pay for itself quickly. :smoke:

If it has to do with alcohol, marijuana, tobacco, caffeine or food, I'd say you're safe to talk about it. ;) As long as it's nothing that has to do with 'other drugs'. :smoke:

Well, hurry up and come through moonshine empire! :poke: ;) :laughing:

That's extremely disrespectful and inconsiderate of them (amongst other things), especially after being corrected. I can definitely see how that would be irritating! 

Very cool! Can't wait to hear / see how your plot progresses. :hello: 

Yep, we have used the dehydrator for jerky, probably not nearly as much as Yoda would like to. :p LOL

The trail mix adds up fast, doesn't it? :laughing: 

13. Haaaaaaaaa! I see now.... I thought you were Yoda...but your doinYoda. Ahhhhhh I get. I have not smoked since 8:30am....please excuse me.

14. We've made some homemade wine this year that's actually pretty damn good! And strong :laughing: I've made it plenty over the years but I've just now gotten the hang of making some that's actually, ya know, good :p we made grape, mulberry, strawberry, and peach this year.

Now for the backyard still! Though, the weed might be enough illegal stuff for one house....

It does! And my little brother would always add more types of cereal and whatever else is in the cabinets. It gets replenished before it's even gone.

It makes a huge difference in cost, clean /organic eating when you make things like jerky, instead of buying it. You get to hand pick the cut of meat, and all of the ingredients that you put into the marinade. :hello: The best part is that it's so much more enjoyable, because you can make it to suit your taste. :yummy:

:laughing: No worries! :cool: :bongin: 

It's really cool that you've made your own wine, and that it's good to boot! :cool: If you end up with open bottles that you don't think you're going to use, you could use them to make your own wine vinegar if you wanted too. :) 

17. Ugh huh, you can type that again....
    I'm ready!

18. Best screen name to date btw! :wave:

19. Your post about apple cider vinegar kinda led me in that direction! I might try that, either with apples or some of the leftover wine, don't know how good that'd be though. Surprisingly still have quite a bit left :laughing: I don't drink very often myself, so it's lasted a bit. Still have some of all but the mulberry, it went quick! :p

20. #40 doinYoda, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
    Thursday I picked up some whole chickens at a price that I could NOT pass up. I spent the afternoon processing chicken, and set aside the backs, necks and wing tips to make stock. That evening, Yoda and I roasted the chicken pieces, with onion, carrot, celery, & garlic. Yesterday we made stock, and pressure canned it. It smelled so good, my mouth was watering! :yummy: It was two days of mouthwatering torture I tell you! 
    We ended up with 7 pints of stock to put up, and a little left over that I popped in the fridge. :hello:
    chicken stock.jpg

Since I'm here, I'll do an update on my ACV experiment.
    The first batch takes the longest, waiting for mother to develop. Once the mother has established, you add some to your next batch, and the ACV finishes faster. 

When the vinegar is ready to lid & store, the color is still pretty light compared to the color of store bought. Once it has aged for a while, the color deepens. The jar on the left is from the first batch of ACV I made last fall, the jar on the right is from a recent batch. 

ACV comp.jpg

As you can see, there's mother floating in the jars, which is exactly what you want. :)