The Noobs First Time - Indoor *Strawberry Dream*

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by CaptainKimura, Aug 30, 2013.

1. #1 CaptainKimura, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2013
    Hey GC,

So after months of research, mistakes, building and mistakes, I have official begun my first grow. Just wanted to give you guys a quick intro as I'm short on time; so here goes.

I was planning on starting up will a Blue Dream clone, but circumstance sent me home with a variant: Strawberry Dream. Leafly gave some positive reviews, but other than that, I'm at a loss. Luckily, GrassCity's own HBbum has a clone mid-flowering and provided a pretty awesome log.

If you check out my noob growbox design post in my sig, you'll see what I've put together. Ill be updating this thread tomorrow with additional pictures and rundown of the transplanting process and state of the union. In the meantime, here's my twig looking pretty happy (I think). Please - questions, critique, and suggestion are more than encouraged. Cheers!

Attached Files:

2. Labor Day weekend has kept me busy but I finally have some time to update.

Strain: Strawberry Dream (Strawberry Cough x Blue Dream)

As I mentioned in my previous post, I started off with a young Sativa-dominant clone with an approximated age of two weeks. I kept her in the solo cup for about three days under direct light (300w MH) until I could see what it needed and how it grew. 

For the transplant, I used a 5 gallon bucket layered, from the bottom up, with an 1" fir bark for drainage, a little over half a bag of FF Ocean Forest, and about a cup of Dr. Earth Transplant Mix immediately surrounding the youngin'. I should add that I also transplanted my project strawberry plant into a 5 gallon container as well alongside MJ. Contrary to the stigma, prepping and deciding to grow my own little MJ plant made me realize how much I enjoyed gardening. Plus, strawberries just taste good. 

View attachment 125004
    View attachment 125002
    View attachment 125003
    View attachment 125005
    View attachment 125006

The morning of Day 5 I was greeted with an unpleasant surprise. Overnight, which is when I run my lights due to heat, MJ started drooping and developed some yellowing on the bottom set of leaves. Needless to say, my first instinct was WATER, but fortunately, experiments with my other plants taught me to be patient. Anyway, I was panicking quite a bit by Day 5 and Day 6 as MJ was still drooping, appeared to have stopped growing, and was now showcasing full-blown yellow on the three bottom leaves. In my worry, I forgot to take any pictures and spent most of my free time researching her issue. Most experienced growers pointed to overwatering, which is why I waited two days to water, while others suggested Nitrogen or Calcium deficiency. Eventually I came upon an article that discussed transplant shock and the stressors that lead to it. After a little reading, I decided that this best explained my problems and decided to remove MJ from the 5 gallon and placed her in a 6" hydroponic basket with the FFOF I originally used. This time around, I made sure to WATER THOROUGHLY to ensure that the rootball had been packed nicely and making contact with the soil (Loose packing, poor contact between soil and roots, equals sad MJ). Another mistake I continued to make, though completely unintentional, was messing with the plant during its dark period. For example, if I had a modification I wanted to make to the setup or plant, I would just turn on the MH and work away, in the process completely fudging up MJ's schedule. DO NOT MESS WITH YOUR PLANTS DURING ITS DARK PERIOD. For any fellow noobs, these are two very important lessons I learned in the field. Once I had corrected those two factors, MJ greeted me the next day with her leaves completely upright and with some of the yellowing on the bottom leaves retreating. 

I have not taken recent pictures, but will do so once my lights kick in. I also decided on positioning my travel iPhone speakers inside the cab and running Spotify all day (currently playing some music by Hammock - very relaxing stuff). So far, things are looking good, but I gladly welcome an suggestions or comments you guys may have. Please check out my other thread, linked in my sig, detailing my DIY build of the cab I am using for this grow. This is the first time I have done any of this, but I must say that I am rather proud of myself so far. Might not last though; we shall see.