Doins Garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by doinYoda, Aug 17, 2013.

1. #21 AugustWest, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2014

i will be waiting.. torch and pitchfork in hand! :devious:

hey..

when you water your garden on a hot day, do you usually wait till it's in the shade?

think i'm gonna run the sprinkler today.. it was mid 90's out all day.

PS: how's yoda? haven't seen him in a bit :(

:eek: Not the torch and pitchfork :hide:
    :laughing:

Yes, if I'm using the sprinkler I wait until the garden is shaded (or mid-evening), leave enough time for leaves / plants to dry off before it gets dark. If it can't wait, then I'll go around from plant to plant, and water around the base of the plants with the hose. 

Hot there! Is it humid too?
    It's 90 and humid here today, I'm really glad it's windier than usual. The temp swings we've had lately are crazy! It went down to the mid 30's one night last week. WTH?! :confused: It's June FFS! :laughing:

Yoda's good, thanks for asking. :) He took some vacation time from work, and worked around here. Things have been extremely busy for him at work the past couple months, he hasn't had much time to spend on the City. Hopefully, things will calm down for him soon.

3. I like to wait until the sun is at least on its way down as well. The plants really seem to enjoy it a lot more and you don't lose as much to evaporation.

J

4. @[member="doinYODA"] yeah really humid today.. but feels damn good! Not ready to be sick of it just yet :p

still really humid, so i think i'll run the sprinkler early in the AM.. supposed to be hot all day again.

kinda worried about watering them late today.. i'm seeing a little white mildew on the melons already.

tell Yoda hi.. i miss that little green dude..

You're sitting in air conditioning, aren't you? :poke: :p :laughing:

Powdery mildew - 1 tsp baking soda to 1 quart of water, 1 tsp liquid castile soap (optional). Mix the water and baking soda, until baking soda is dissolved, then add the castile soap if using. 

Spray all the leaves on the melon plant with it. Spray again in 4 to 5 days, then once a week after that, spraying again after it rains. If you have any other plants susceptible to PM, I'd spray those even if they're not showing signs of PM.

PM affects Beans, melons, squash, cucumber, grapes, and some others.  

I've heard that some people use milk & water. I've had good results with the baking soda mixture so that's my go-to for issues with PM. The baking soda changes the PH on the leaf surface, making it inhospitable for PM. :devious:

6. cool advice!

i'll hit them tomorrow.. i'm guessing a little neem oil in there won't hurt anything?

7. #27 doinYoda, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014

Thanks! 

Won't hurt anything to add some neem to the mix, IMO. :)

ETA: If you are adding neem, make sure you use castile soap in the mix.

8. #28 doinYoda, Jun 18, 2014
    2014 Garden:
    \nPeppers / Chili's (20 total): Thai Bangkok & Red, Anaheim, Sweet Red, Paprika, Habanero, Serrano, and Cayenne
    \nTomato - Sauce & Slicing (12 total): Big Boy, San Marzano, Beaverlodge, Nova, and Oroma
    \nBeans - Kentucky Wonder and Scarlet Runner
    \nCarrot - Cosmic purple, baby finger, Napoli
    \nCelery - Tango, self-blanching
    \nCorn - Golden Bantam Cross (Three sisters planting with Kentucky pole beans, golden midget watermelon, cantaloupe and triple threat pumpkin. Still need to plant bean, pumpkin and melon seeds). 
    \nCucumber - burpless and pickling
    \nLettuce - Romaine
    \nOnion - Red Wing, Pontiac, Evergreen Bunching, Dakota Tears
    Shallot - Conservor (Gray shallot ordered for this fall)
    Garlic - Susanville, Duganski (early italian variety ordered for this fall)
    \nMelons - Cantaloupe and Golden Midget Watermelon.
    \nHerbs - Bouquet Dill, Genovese Basil, spearmint, chocolate mint, peppermint, common & Italian oregano, Moss curled and Italian flat parsley, Arp Rosemary, White & Common Sage, Thyme, Garlic & regular chives, Cutting Celery
    \nPerennial additions (current): 
    Raspberries (Heritage, Meeker & Latham), Victoria Rhubarb, Peppermint, Garlic Chives, White Sage, Ostrich Fern (fiddle head fern), Italian Oregano, Rosemary Arp, Pyrethrum daisy, Evergreen Bunching Onion.
    \nI was able to get a cool shot of my raised beds, so I thought I'd share it with you.
    Beds group shot.jpg
    \nOne of our resident Hummingbirds in the Cherry tree.
    Hummingbird.jpg
    \nPollinator working on the Chive blossoms
    Chives.jpg
    \nA barrel planter that I've been using as a 'nursery', Evergreen bunching onion, White and Purple Echinacea 
    Nursery pot.jpg
    \nI still have more planting to do for the summer garden, and I have already started thinking about the fall & winter garden. A couple weeks ago I ordered some Purple of Sicily Cauliflower, Halblange Parsley, and Gladiator Parsnip seeds, as well as Gray Shallot, and Early Red Italian garlic. 
    \nNext up, raised beds 1 through 4. 

Thanks AW :love: :) :cool: 

Yes, the Dr. Bronners is definitely what you want, IMO. It's what I use. Sorry AW, I should have given you that info yesterday.

10. #31 AugustWest, Jun 18, 2014

no worries lady.. that's what google is for! :p

so i should go w/ that unscented baby one over the peppermint or scented ones? was thinking maybe the peppermint or something would help repel pests? :confused:

thanks for all the tips doin.. really appreciate it.

11. Bed #1 - Garlic, Paprika peppers, onion, shallot. Perimeter - Marigold, baby finger carrot, thyme, oregano. I planted baby finger carrot in the squares around the outside of the bed.
    Why not, right? One of my garden experiments this season. 

bed 1.jpg

Bed #2 - Beaverlodge, Nova, and Oroma tomato. Serrano and Thai reds. Basil, parsley, celery. The perimeter of the bed is planted with marigold, thyme, oregano, and cosmic purple carrot.

bed 2.jpg

Bed #3 - San Marzano tomato, Thai Bangkok chili, Cayenne, Anaheim, & Sweet Reds. Celery, Basil, Parsley, Over wintered onion and dakota tears onion bulbs that I stored the end of last season. The perimeter of the bed is planted with Marigold, thyme, oregano, and Napoli Carrot. 
    \n bed 3.jpg

Bed #4 - Pickling cucumber, dill, and romaine lettuce. Perimeter is seeded with marigold, thyme, oregano & I planted an italian oregano. 
    \n bed 4.jpg
    \nI still need to mulch this bed. I'll seed more lettuce, probably some carrots, and not sure what else I'll throw in there.
    Decisions, decisions!  You should see the container of seeds that I have to choose from. Maybe I'll get a picture of that the next time I pull it out of the fridge. :p

Next up, various vegetable, herbs and fruit in other areas around the yard.

12. #33 doinYoda, Jun 18, 2014

You could go with the peppermint if that's what you want. I prefer to use the unscented baby castile soap, it gives you the option of adding essential oils, for a specific purpose. So if you want the benefits of peppermint, lavender, etc...you add some essential oil. I use organic, food grade essential oils incase you were wondering.

I should note that I try to avoid buying things that aren't multi-purpose, especially when it comes to something that you don't use much of at one time. That bottle of castile soap will probably last you quite a while if you're just using it in the garden.

There's always the option of brewing peppermint tea, and spraying with that. Just thought I'd mention it since we're on the subject. 

You're very welcome AW! Always happy to help, whenever I can. :)

13. #34 AugustWest, Jun 18, 2014
    my goodness!

love the variety!! beds so nice and neat too.. you done good Lady! :hello:
    great idea w/ the carrots in the holes.. may as well use every inch of space. can't imagine why they wouldn't work in there.. smooth move! :cool:

gonna start making use of all this lemon balm i think.. i'll figure a way to incorporate it into this whole deal maybe.

14. Three sisters garden area, along with Raspberry planters
    three sisters bed & raspberries.jpg

In the bottom of the raspberry pots - wood (various sizes) & leaves
    Raspberry pot.jpg

baby corn
    baby corn.jpg

Victoria Rhubarb
    Victoria Rhubarb.jpg

Native Prickly Pear
    prickly pear.jpg

Ostrich Fern
    Ostrich Fern.jpg

Grape vine
    grapes.jpg

Part of my herb bed.
    some herbs.jpg

Mulberry
    mulberry.jpg

15. Thai Red Chili mom @[member="augustwest"]
    Thai red chili mom.jpg

Kentucky Wonder Pole bean, we'll see how it does growing up the downspout.
    Kentucky wonder.jpg

Tango Celery in a self watering pot.
    The res (bottom of the pot) holds 1 gallon of water. Last season I added cotton wicking along the bottom of the insert that goes into the res. I left a 6 inch length of wicking that lays on the bottom. 
    celery pot.jpg

Thought I would show you a comparison of the native soil (sand) that we have been working with the past few years. We dug out an area roughly 2'x4'x18". The 'soil' (sand) that you see in the picture is what was just below the sod (top soil). 
    Native soil comparison.jpg

I planted some cucumber and dill there.
    cuke and dill fence.jpg

Let's talk a little bit about seed viability and seed storage. The average 'life span' of cantaloupe seed is said to be 5 years, IF stored properly. Here are some cantaloupe seeds that were packaged for the 2007 growing season.
    canteloupe seed check.jpg

The first few years that I had them, they were stored in a basket on top of a kitchen cabinet. I finally put them in my seed container, in the fridge, that has rice in the bottom for moisture absorption. So, I'd say I got pretty lucky here.

That's enough updating for me today. :p

Hope everyone's gardens are thriving. 

16. man o man!

you're rocking it! :hello:

hey.. any tips on the dill and cilantro bolting so early?
    every year they go to seed so quickly it seems. i was told it was because i was buyout plants and transplanting.. but even from seed it seems to happen.

everything is looking great.. i can tell you love what you do in there, it shows. :)

17. Freaking WOW! I so love your garden Doin! I love all gardens but boy - you've got a good one! Those cinderblocks arent going anywhere soon, huh? Lol - Are they actually mortared into place?

I was thinking that it would be neat to plant all different herbs in the holes in the actual cinderblocks at the border... :)

Hey, AW, good idea on adding the neem for the PM - it is also a fungicide and should really help. Doin's advice for the baking soda is spot on. Between the two Id have to think that the PM wouldnt have a chance - especially with that monster sprayer you've got...:) 

gonna start making use of all this lemon balm i think.. - Yep - soak some in water for just 36-48 hours. You dont want it to actually start breaking down, you just want the good stuff to saturate the water.

Thanks alot for the pictures Doin.

j

18. yeah man.. was thinking the baking soda, castile soap, neem and lemon balm spray?

sounds good anyway..

PS: @[member="doinYODA"] mulberries FTW! :yummy:
    had them in the old neighborhood as a kid.. i miss having them around to munch on. good memories lol..

Thanks bro! :cool: I do love gardening, it's relaxing for me.

Cilantro, like a lot of lettuce varieties, will bolt when the heat hits. I'd grow it spring and fall. If you let it go to seed, don't forget to collect the seeds as they're coriander.

Dill doesn't like to be transplanted, and once it flowers / seeds, it's done. I think the bouquet is 60 days. You could keep cutting it back to try to keep it from flowering and see how that goes, or succession plant dill, so you have it when you want it. I'll probably be seeding dill every few weeks to make sure I have enough to make pickles at the very least. :yummy: