solo vs pax thread, need to decide.

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by Yummybud20, Aug 10, 2013.

1. i'm going back to university and need a portable vape. the pax is 300 here and solo 200. the solo looks great but I can't vape indoors and need to cary it with me and I'm not sure if I can put the pax in arizer in my pocket. I go out and go for walks and usually smoke a joint but I want to quit smoking.

few things i'm worried about are.

1.)  i've read that the pax breaks. quite a few said they mouthpiece breaks fairly easiiy
    2.) everyone says pax is hard to clean.
    3.) also the pax has a small aa size recharchable battery built init that is not replacable.  i'm pretty worried about how long this will last, and the unit is not cheap at 300 to be disposable.

also i'm wondering of course if the pax will get you high without wasting all your weed.

i'm thinking I should jus save 100 bucks and get a solo and get some kind of carrying back for it and take it with me when I go for walks. pax just seems way more convenient I can put it in my pocket and not worry about attracting attention.

2. I cannot talk about the solo as I've never actually tried one. As an avid pax user. It has changed the ease of "smoking". You can whip it out almost anywhere without anyone giving you shameful faces. Any new toke buddy I've used it with has always been blown away as well.
    There are other vapes to check out. Last night I just picked up The Pinnacle. And I have to say. I really like it. It does seem slightly less portable than the pax. But it seems to be better in most other senses.
    The one thing we want with a portable vape though. Is portability.
    Pax has yet to fail me. Just make sure you buy the lube for it. And clean it AT LEAST every week. You'll start to catch onto when it's cleaning time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. you can't go wrong with either. The PAX is easier to carry in your pocket, and the solo has a glass stem that some have concerns about breakage etc,. I like them both. I truly prefer the overall experience of the solo (better taste, better rips..on less herb), but the true convenience of the PAX has it finding its way into my pocket more often. Both are good, but if I could only have one...I'd probably reach for the solo. It just feels more durable and I enjoy it more when I use it. It's cheaper and uses less weed, which are both positives for dorm life.

4. #4 mr lahey, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2013
    The Solo is better and more effective, the Pax is stealthier. If you can wait a few weeks to a month, I'd suggest getting the Davinci Ascent over both of them.

5. #5 HBGBUB, Aug 10, 2013
    The pax requires a lot of cleaning too. If you don't the mouth piece will get stuck and it'll be a pain to turn on. I've never used the solo but if you're main concern is dorm room toking I'd say solo. If you want a more stealthy on the go vape I'd say paxHaha I need to read. The pax isn't hard to clean really, just some alcohol and qtips, it takes maybe 5 min if you're really anal. I've also never heard of the mouth piece breaking but I really don't look up reviews on things very often

6. #6 Yosh139, Aug 10, 2013
    Yes thank you HBGBUB, I was just about to say that you have to clean your Pax weekly depending on how often you use it. The Solo requires absolutely no cleaning to keep working, but it's nice to have a clean glass stem. The Solo is cheaper, more effective, and it saves more weed. What's not to like about that?

Edit: I also throw it in skinny jeans pockets, and although it might look a bit silly inside skinny jeans pockets it fits.

7. hmm. well I won't be able to use a tape indoors because they still smell and I don't want to risk that.  So I want a tape to take with me for a walk at night.  

I don't know if I can be walking around with the solo in my hand.....  it is also 100 cheaper I can put that 100 towards more weed and it looks like the solo also uses less weed.

maybe I should just get the solo and just buy some kind of bag for it to carry it with me outside.

the pax with the tiny battery just seems like it won't last more than a year before it won't hold a charge anymore.

i think i'm going with solo.....

8. also a concern, is the solo air path really just glass and ceramic?  I have read some reviews about plastic taste and smell from the solo and health concerns.

9. My experience is just the opposite. I still get a funny "plastic" taste from my PAX, but pure herb flavor with the solo.

10. oh interesting..... i've heard the earlier model solos had electric smell issues ...... maybe I should make sure I get a newer model.  I think i'm going with solo.....

pax just seems like it's more of a cool gadget than a proper vaporizer.  going with solo...... I just hope I don't get one with electric/ plastic fumes.

is the vapour path from the solo just ceramic / glass?  I think that's what the website says but some people claim there are electronic fumes.....

11. #11 Yosh139, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2013
    There aren't any electronic fumes from my Solo at all, I'm getting two more because my girlfriend wants one and I'll have one as a backup. It's actually Stainless Steel and glass, but still tastes pure. :D

12. cool. i'm going to pick one up soon. I can get one locally for 200 which is pretty reasonable for a good tape. looks like the solo is the best portable tape available right now.  

i'm going to pick up an oz too soon, can't wait to test it out. 

thanks guys..... will let you know how I like it.

Where do you live? You could probably order it for cheaper unless you're not into that kind of a thing.

14. I don't want to order it online. locally best price i've found is 200 which isn't too much more than online.  I think you can get it on ebay for 150-160 with shipping.

Whatever floats your boat, but at least you're getting a quality vaporizer. :D

16. nahh on ebay their going for like $120, i've even seen them as low as $100, and they come with grinders or extra peices...its a way bigger difference...

17. but yo have to pay for shipping..... and it's easier to go return it if you get a broken unit if you buy local. The one i'm getting also comes with a grinder and bag.

I just took a quick look down the ebay isle, everything is under $130 with free shipping...Why you so worried about paying for shipping? :p

19. If youre not from the US shipping can become costly

20. I'm getting a pax soon so I'll tell you how I like it.