Quinn signs Illinois medical marijuana bill into law

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Storm Crow, Aug 1, 2013.

1. #1 Storm Crow, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2013
    MMJ STATE NUMBER 20!  We have 40% of the states- Just 5 more until the government is FORCED to legalize medical use, or tell us "government by the people" is a lie and risk a revolution! :eek:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/clout/chi-quinn-to-sign-medical-marijuana-bill-thursday-20130731,0,6053984.story

Quinn signs Illinois medical marijuana bill into law

<span>By Monique Garcia and Ray Long Tribune reporters </span><span>12:09 p.m. CDT, August 1, 2013</span>

Gov. Pat Quinn today signed a bill legalizing the use of marijuana for medical purposes in Illinois that supporters say is the strictest in the nation.

The law takes effect Jan. 1, but state regulators are likely to need months to come up with the rules. That means it could be until next summer before those suffering from 42 illnesses including cancer, AIDS and multiple sclerosis can legally seek relief through marijuana.

Under the new law, a person could be prescribed no more than 2.5 ounces of marijuana over two weeks. That's enough to fill two small sandwich bags. In addition, the prescribing doctor must have a prior and ongoing medical relationship with the patient. And a doctor must find that the patient has one of a few dozen serious or chronic conditions for the marijuana to be prescribed.

Patients would have to buy the marijuana from one of 60 dispensing centers throughout the state and would not be allowed to legally grow their own. Workers at dispensing centers would undergo criminal background checks, the stores would be under round-the-clock camera surveillance and users would carry cards that indicate how much they had bought to prevent stockpiling.

Marijuana would be grown inside 22 cultivation centers registered with the state.

The state agriculture, professional regulation and public health agencies need to figure out a way to determine who gets permits to open marijuana growing centers and dispensaries and to determine rules for physicians giving out cards allowing patients to obtain the marijuana.

For years, the measure had failed to gain traction at the Capitol, particularly in the House. But this spring sponsoring Rep. Lou Lang, D-Skokie, was able to cobble together the votes needed to send the bill to the Senate, where a similar but less restrictive bill had passed in previous years.

Quinn had said he'd keep an open mind on the issue and indicated that military veterans who suffered pain might get relief.

:hello:     :yay:    :smoke:    :yay:    :hello:   

Granny

2. Good to hear! Unfortunately it sounds like it's going to be almost as restrictive as New Jersey's medical program, but it's progress nonetheless.

3. We got our foot in the door!   :yay: It is easier to amend a law, than to create one. Now all that has to be done is to liberalize the law one ailment at a time!  It's a drag having to do it the slow way, but it will get done!

I think all of you in Illinois should send Gov. Pat Quinn a Thank You note! I already did, but I'm in California, so I don't count!

http://www2.illinois.gov/gov/Pages/ContacttheGovernor.aspx

Granny

great great news. so if we get those next 5 states, every state will be forced to have MMJ? 

5. 2,5 ounces every two weeks?  That's a lot of weed, 5 grams a day.  At least they didn't skimp in the amount that is allowed.   

6. "so if we get those next 5 states, every state will be forced to have MMJ?"

I think they will make it a state's rights deal. Each state voting whether to be a MMJ state or not. Just like some states have "dry" counties where liquor is not sold, there will be some states that resist even medical legalization.  As the "smokeless states" see their tourism drop, and other states start making money on hemp products*, they will eventually come around to the idea of legalizing cannabis.

Getting 50% of the states forces the government to make a decision. This country is supposed to be  "of the people, by the people, for the people"! When 50%+ of the states have medical marijuana, the government must either say our democracy is a lie and keep cannabis illegal, or give in to the will of the majority of the American public!

Granny

* Several "industrial strains" have a good levels of CBD and will have medical uses as well as being fiber and/or seed producers)

7. guess St Louis will be vacant real soon...as the population migrates eastward...

8. Used to live in IL until 3 months ago when I moved to CO. Still glad to hear IL is making a step in the right direction on this issue. If you are near/in Bloomingon, light one up for me!

9. I'm about 30 min north of Bloomington, haven't smoked for about a month so I can get a job out of state.

10. I'm 55, with advanced degenerative joints, Fibromyalgia and legally disabled. What should I do first? My rheumatologist prescribes all the usual Rx, Vicodin, Lyrica, Celebrex, etc. I guess he shouldn't balk at MMJ, so I'll start with him, but what do I do after that?

11. And a little update!   http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/23039075/chicago-prepares-for-the-arrival-of-medicinal-marijuana

\tChicago prepares for the introduction of medicinal marijuana 
    CHICAGO (FOX 32 News) - "Medical marijuana may be right for you," said a sign posted on the window of what may be Chicago's first medical marijuana clinic.
    "We're actually going to open the clinic to patients next week Wednesday, the 7th of August," said Tammy Jacobi, President of Good Intentions LLC.

In a phone interview with Fox 32's Tisha Lewis, Jacobi says pre-registering patients and providing them with information will start this week. Jacobi operates a similar clinic in Michigan.

She says the Wicker Park location will not house any pot but will provide qualified patients with recommendations and the certification needed to apply for a medicinal marijuana card.

"It's been our experience in Michigan that patients who don't have a physician or haven't seen a physician in years because they don't have medical insurance end up kind of being left out of the medical marijuana programs in each state," said Jacobi.

This past week, Governor Pat Quinn signed legislation to legalize marijuana for medicinal purposes - the passage creating passionate debate on both sides.

"People driving under the influence of marijuana, people losing track of their goals, it's kind of a dependency that sneaks up on people… I think when we look at the majority of our culture and the cost it is going to be to healthcare, I think the risks far outweigh the benefits," said Kate Mahoney, Executive Director of PEER Services.

"We're very happy that the patients in Illinois will be protected from arrest for using this medicine if their doctor recommends it and they're going to have safe and legal access to this medicine," said Dan Linn, Executive Director of the Illinois Chapter of the National Organization to Reform Marijuana Laws.

But don't expect marijuana clinics on every corner. Linn expects a slow rollout of the new law.

"They're going to be allowed to grant up to 82 licenses for cultivation centers and dispensaries. I would be surprised if in the four years this is a pilot program that all of those licenses are issued," said Linn.

12. That's a big difference in how it is here.

We would All be in trouble here if we had to depend on our family doctors to prescribe for us.  But like Granny said, it's easier to change a law after awhile.

13. oh well..and Missouri has Roy Blunt still standing steady against that demon weed that turns people into insane commie homosexual murderous lazy disease infested disrespectful to whitey and lusting after white women, sinning heathens! Good thing we have Roy Blunt protecting the 'show me state'.. :bongin:

14. Splendid idea. And I followed suite.

15. Hey I know this is really late but if you haven't done anything yet to get your MMJ card heres what you do. Go to https://www.marijuanadoctors.com/ once you get there you can request an appointment on the right side of the screen or call them @ (888) 392-9772 to setup an appointment. They'll ask you what your medical condition is. Then you just setup a time that convenient for you. and bring your medical records to your appointment. I got my appointment on the 20th, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Hope this helps  :smoke:
    PS if anyone else wants to see if you qualify go here https://www.marijuanadoctors.com/medical-marijuana/IL/qualification

16. How long till recreational useSent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. Went to my first appointment yesterday and they couldn't have been nicer. My chances for a card are very good, they thought it would be September before the first applications are approved, another month before I'd be able to go into a dispensary. But, the state of Michigan accepts out of state licenses, so that is a possibility, as I have friends there. Thank you for the link, I really had a great experience at this clinic and would HIGHLY recommend them. (pun intended :c)