What am i looking at as far as start up cost? And what should i buy

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by FatSlob, Jul 29, 2013.

1. I decided i'm gonna do an indoor grow. I can grow 15 plants. I'm trying to get the most off these plants possible. Keep them at like 4 feet and average a qp. And i have my moms whole basement. Shes cool with me growing as long as i pay the light bill.

The basement is probably like 30feet long. High ceilings.  I don't feel like measuring it lol but its huge. And there is also another room maybe a third the size of that first room.

I was thinking i could veg in the smaller room. Then flower in the bigger room? I can put up like a makeshift tent to make the basement smaller if need be.

I already know how much seeds/medium/nutes will cost. What i really need to know is how much light will i need? And how much will a good ventilation system cost? Smell isn't a huge problem since my moms cool with it but i don't want to be stinking up the block. I already know an electrician and a more experienced grower who will definetly help me set things up, but i wanna have an idea of exactly how many light and how much cash i will need before i start making calls.

2. And how big of a light bill jump am i looking at here? I could do like 500 a month anything more and idk.

3. You could grow a bush and put each under their own 1000 watt hps light in an air cooled hood. You will need a big a/c to cool the room(s) with that many lights though. So you have to figure out how many lights you want to run and then go from that.

4. a 3-5gl ona bucket will do wonders for odor, but you'll need plenty of fans for a large area too (I would say at least 2 box fans would be o.k., but height adjustable stand fans would be better)

5. I would suggest you start with a small grow see how that goes.

6. Sounds like you got the perfect spot. Jealous haha. But to answer your question, yes vegging in the small room than moving them to a flowering room would be a sick setup. For that many plants I'd say at least 600w systems for each room. You could find them on amazon for about 150 each. One hps, one mh. To be honest a fan in each room would probably be fine. I'd guess itd add like 15-20 a month to the bill at the most when both were.
    Sent from my HTCONE using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. As usual, Usandthem said it!   Start with a smaller grow, and learn what works for you, then try scaling the size of your grow.  It sounds like you have great space available.  The expense of a large grow is a significant investment.  Most things you buy for your small grow can be used going forward as you scale up, too. 

I would suggest flowering under a 1k HPS light, and vegging under a 400w, or 600w MH light.   The best way to deal with smell is the use a carbon filter.  Get a larger fan and filter than you think you need, just to be safe.  Don't skimp on brand of filter either.  I use Phresh, and they work great.  I prefer this brand to Can brand, because they are much lighter weight, and can be purchased/shipped for a better price. 

Later, as you expand, you'll probably be adding 1k lights.

You will need vent fans, at minimum to cool your space.  If you can't vent, you'll need to hook up AC, so consider this in planning your electric circuits. 

8. I would do a 1200w (2 600w HPS) for your first indoor

Then on your next grow find another medical patient and get their grow rights and now you can grow 30 plants add a 600w MH and a T5 8bulb fluorescent light for veg.... 

of course you need fans, carbon filter(if you have close neighbors),

Have 15 in veg and 15 in flowering.