what kind of intake fan i need?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by growkings, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Hey GC I was Wondering what kind of intake fan i need as my temps are getting hot i got a 4'w * 3 1/2' h * 2' depth box 400w hps with cool tube 5000 cfm fan 6" fan on tubebut only a computer fan intake for fresh airtemps are 32c - 34c and i got a a/c in room bu not cooling any help would be nice....i know the intake fan has to have a tube going to the floor of the room but dont know what size ????

Attached Files:

2. Hey GK, hope I can help. You don't need an intake AND exhaust fan for your cooltube, the 500CFM (? you said 5000, whoa, Nelly :) ) should be just fine. Remove the PC fan and extend another section of duct work to that hole in your grow cabinet. The idea is to pull cool air from outside the box, through the cool tube to cool the light, and exhaust heat from the light outside the box. Seal all the connections thoroughly, and you won't have to worry. The only time you need dual fans for intake and exhaust is when you're dealing with large grow areas, multiple light and long duct runs with lots of bends.
    Relocate your PC fan to the bottom side of the cabinet for fresh air intake. Might not hurt to have a second one on the other side of the cabinet, one sucks, one blows, to get a good fresh air turnover.

Hope this helps & bestaluck to ya.

3. thanks bro

will pick up the extra stuff today and try it out

4. oh and congrats on your 40th anniversary of your 1st grow

5. hey man I did it what u think of upgrades?

got my lst plants in there.

will let u know how the heat is doing the temps should be around what in flower room?

Attached Files:

6. #6 Olde School, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
    Hey Pothead, the upgrade looks well done.
    Let's see, 30C = 86F; that's still too warm. Mid to high 70's (23-27C) is ideal, low 80's (28-29C) is OK. I start worrying if I can't consistently keep temps below the mid 80's / 30C. Is your room A/C running?
    Without extreme measures, it's very difficult to grow with HID lights with anything less than 5 feet of interior height. Even more is better. I always figure 18" lost on the top for the light and clearance to top of plant canopy; and another 12" lost at the bottom for container height.
    I'm afraid you're going to have your hands full when you switch to 12/12 lighting and the stretch starts. One option that will help is to add a SCROG screen to keep plant height at minimum, but still plan on the plants stretching AT LEAST 8-12" above the screen when bloomed.
    Another option - can you dim your ballast to 250W? Would not be my first choice if I had more headroom, but it's better than "cooking" your plants with too much heat.
    Or probably the best alternative, can you increase the height of your cabinet?
    The addition of CO2 will help the plants tolerate the higher heat, but that adds to the complexity of your cabinet with tanks, and timer / controllers, etc. Not the best option for a beginning grow in a new cabinet.

Let us know what you decide, will check back in a day or so.

7. ya ok top of plants right now is 28c -29c so far so good but still worryed like you said i am still lsting them down to controle hight but i am thinking about adding the hight but could only add 9" i have the veg room underneath the grow box hummmmm lol just thinking

8. Hey GK,
    If I had to make your choices, I would remove the partition between the veg and bloom chambers, ending up with one taller chamber. It's easy enough to veg and bloom in the same box, just change the bulbs for the appropriate cycle. Yeah, you can't start vegg'ing another round while the current round is finishing, which can add time to your crop rotation. But if it gives you the room to grow more weed by growing taller plants, I personally think it's worth it. You'll be amazed at what an extra 6" in vegetative height will do to your final yield.
    In the end, WHATEVER IT TAKES to get more height in your grow chamber, it's worth it!!!