How-To : LST (Low Stress Training)

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by DierWolf, Nov 9, 2006.

1. My lst'd/fim'd c'99 so far.

Attached Files:

2. Top,Tie,Supercrop in coco under vero29s! 3wks left too pack it on! CottonCandyCane

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I have a question. Does LST work if the entire main stem is horizontal? I'll try to explain. I started to lst my Bubbleicious at about the 3rd node. I've noticed that there is no part of the main stem that gee vertical it's almost as if it piped through the ground at an angle and kept growing that way, if I'm making any sense. I have seen very little internodal growth since lst. The plant has been growing and I've continued to tie down but the secondary growth is maybe a quarter inch long if that. Plant is almost a month old (on the 18th) and I've been tying down for at least two weeks now

4. Has anyone had problems using cut up wire hangers in the soil as mentioned in direwolfs original post? I want to lst a plant and was wondering if the wire would maybe rust/impact the soil somehow

5. I'm using hangers to pin a couple of my branches at the moment. Most newer wire hangers are aluminium based so they shouldn't rust.
    I don't think rust would have too much of a negative impact anyway

6. I did a side pull yesterday and when I opened my cabinet after work today the growth had exploded lst is awesome love this thread and all the knowledge available

7. Here's a pic

Attached Files:

8. #1028 Olde School, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
    Lots of good info in this thread, but as I flew through some of it, seems most growers are starting their LST way too soon??? One grower a page or so back complained that the vertical growth at each node was only 1/4" long and weak. Now IMHO, in order for LST to be most effective, you need a good strong vegetative growth spurt to get the most out of it. Then continue it after you flip to 12/12, training through the stretch. Your job is pretty well done when the only vertical growth remaining is the bud(s) getting longer. [​IMG] Yes, LST is great for controlling height. But beyond that it's all about yield.
    Training can be most challenging when working with auto's because you really shouldn't top, FIM or super-crop these. Now LST applies to all plants, but when working AUTO's especially, LST is all the way to go.
    This is what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

To give you an idea of scale, this is a 2X2X5'3" tent with a 250W HID / cooltube reflector. One Kalashnikova-Auto, germinated in a rapid rooter on April 20th. Yes, really, 4/20, I did that on purpose. It was time, and the Ganja Gods respected my choice. The plant stayed in a Folgers bubbler under a 42W CFL until May 3rd. By that time it had several nodes and a healthy root start, and was transplanted to a 3 gallon ebb 'n Gro module under the 250W cool tube. Nutes were GH Flora plus RhinoSkin, DiamondNectar and liquid KoolBloom later. This shot was on August 1st, the day before harvest. 11.3 oz dried and cured in the stash jars[​IMG].

I know, this thread is all about LST and you can't see a single string in this shot[​IMG] so poke me with a stick...
    Or go to this thread for the full tutorial, start to finish. Starts on page 599, scroll down to post # 11974:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/73...

9. haz, I know your post is a month old, but doesn't appear anyone answered your question. Take a look at this thread again, I added some additional info that might help you in the future. I suspect you started too early and the plant wasn't ready for what you did. Wait 'till your plant is taking off then train the trunk horizontal, you'll get mucho better results.

10. Thanks for the reply bro, but it worked out great. I was just a little ancy waiting on results I suppose. But here's how she's looking!
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1442645882.063861.jpg

11. I bent my plant over but now it's drooping and doesn't need a string. I want to run it around the pot rim. Do I place stakes in soil to attach the plant to that to give support so it doesn't droop. It's not strong enough to hold itself up bent over.

12. hey guys. 2nd time grower, 1st time trying to LST a plant. any tips on my grow?? thanks in advance. IMG_20160326_182032.jpg IMG_20160326_182045.jpg
    IMG_20160326_182113.jpg

13. Here are some more recent ones.
    IMG_20160402_154352.jpg IMG_20160402_154328.jpg IMG_20160402_154306.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Love how early you are getting it trained. Those lower branches are going to start growing like crazy soon.
    This White Widow X Big Bud took to LST like no other! I will keep this strain around for that reason alone. The Blue shark strain in the background almost yielded a half lb. just for size comparison purposes.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thanks. Here are more recent ones IMG_20160420_143353.jpg IMG_20160420_143325.jpg IMG_20160420_143255.jpg

Those were taken on 4/20. Thinking of maybe transplanting to a bigger pot, but don't really know if needed. Any feedback is appreciated

Outdoor Afghan auto
    Southern California

16. Love LSTing. So simple, easy, and very effective. I LST when the plant has built a strong main stem but enough to bend it. Usually around the time the plant is about 1/2-3/4ft tall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. yo yos or trellising

18. Gotta love LST

19. Did some lst to my autos the past couple days. Older girl is 4ish weeks, other is 2-3. Jack Herer and Q1

Attached Files: