How-To : Fimming and Topping made Easy

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by DierWolf, Nov 7, 2006.

1. HIGH All, remember this...

But hey I knew this Already..glad to see you come around.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ROFLMAO!!

Boy you have some time on your hands and the memory of an elephant, i couldnt even remember the thread that was in LOL.

Well actually it is different :)

Topping cuts off actually 2 new growth nodes completely (just they so tiny at the time looks like just one and fimming cuts off only 1 and part of the fanleaf of the 2nd :)

Anywhooo ..... were both right, think if i remember right the debate was really about the number of new tops created, which topping is 2 and fimming is 4 :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. (dierwolf/unoit) you guys should be applauded! i've seen posts like the last couple, erupt into flame wars. it's great to see people being able to communicate with each other without freaking out. hats off to you's!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hope this large close up view (which you cant really make out with the naked eye) helps everyone see what exactly takes place when Fimming or Topping...

[​IMG]

5. DierWolf, props again. This makes it so much clearer to me. I was going to skip it for my first grow but with this thread I think I'll try it.

6. Why is topping an option if femming produces double the results? And is there any way to mess up femming or is it pretty much foolproof if you cut in the right area?

• Like Like x 1
  7. because topping is guaranteed a Y branch and Fimming if not done properly not work.

I myself do not do fimming for 4 tops.... i use the techique and only cut 50% of the new growth instead of 80%, I do this just to slow down growth at that point to force more branches from the nodes below it.

so usually i just top the plant at 3rd leaf set, and then fim 50% to force branching.

8. Hey, I just tried topping my plant. This was done 9 days into flowering. Can you tell me if I did it right?

Attached Files:

9. First pic looks fine, second doesnt look like you did anything maybe its a
    AFTER/BEFORE pic instead of a BEFORE/AFTER pic :)

10. Yeah I posted em backwards, I smoke weed. Thanks for the help, I'm interested to see how it affects yield so I'm growing another clone right next to her without topping.

• Like Like x 1
  11. High wolf! nice thread. yeah it explained a lot. Would you say that this method eliminates the need for a screen? or would a screen be used as well? Thanks and peace, TBug

12. Thanks again Dierwolf.....nice explanation! im doing it

13. no screen needed the way i do it but yes you could use a screen if you like.

14. High wolf! and thanks again. You and west have really helped me out. Almost like being there for a personal lesson:D . What do you know about "Veg boom +" ? Just wondering. Peace, TBug

15. After first topping a plant, when is it best to start fimming - how many nodes of new growth should there be?

16. It's my third year growing now, never fimmed or topped before, mostly because I actually feel bad when I cut them during their growth cycle, less its for clone purposes. Just started fimming tonight, will have to see how the next few days turn out :). Good n easy guide to understand :D

17. LordSoth,

If your a cloner, Fimming is a MUST becaue you get that many more branches to clone from.

Sibannac, you can fimm at any time at any new growth if you have topped already.

18. Yeah i didn't like the feeling of cutting the top off my plant.
    It's all good, within a day you will see new growth...topping fimming may slow the growth for a dayor two. But, believe me the outcome is worth it.:smoking:

19. Have yet to do much of any cloning, but I do know fimming would be key to do so, thanks again for the guide though hehe.

Sure hope so hehe, I think I may have taken a little bit more then 80 percent though from the top... Can't really tell, I don't think I cut it all the way, just to the stem top so heh... Cutting anything when you have a nifty perception disorder from dropping so much acid for years without much for breaks don't help me none ;) Everything tends to shift down and to the right a little bit it seems.. anyway though, next few days should be good :D

20. Dire, you think this is old enough to top?
    [​IMG]
    My only concern is that the leaves are packed so tight.