Zenpen Portable Vaporizer

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by zenpen, Jun 18, 2013.

Over in the FC thread, they said that they hope to get products to reviewers by the middle of the campaign (which would be around Nov 30/Dec1). If the reviews are pretty good, I would expect it to spark up like the launch.

That's the one major piece they're missing from the campaign: 3rd party comparisons. I'm sure the launch could have been even more explosive if they had some reviews up there.

2. So lwien, based on your post at FC, the guy who posted a bunch of spam was NOT affiliated with Grasshopper/ZenPen after all? If that's the case, you should consider editing or removing your post here to avoid spreading any more unwarranted ill will.

I'm not totally convinced of that.

4. So you don't know, but you're going to error on the side of damaging the manufacturer's reputation, just in case you're right? That's fucked up.

I'm going to error on the side of either 1) it was the manufacturer or 2) it was someone who was encouraged by the manufacture to do this.   Either way, THAT is what is fucked up.

Over at FC, ZenPen encouraged us (the FC community)  to go out and spread the word on the GrassHopper.    I strongly suggested to him that he better lay down the rules as to HOW he wants this done before he proceeds.

6. lwien, there is a third option that you're apparently ignoring: that it was just a random person who wants one of these vapes, was excited that they were finally beginning to make progress, and simply wanted to make sure they met their crowd funding goal so that they'll be able to get one.  I think that describes most of the people who signed on for the crowd funding effort.  If one of those people was a little over-enthusiastic, I don't believe it's fair to blame the manufacturer. 

And it's definitely UNFAIR to expect the manufacturer to have some sort of controlling power over everyone who wants their product.  Do you expect them to tell potential customers "It's a great product, but whatever you do, don't spread the word!"?  That's the thing with crowd funding - it's based on the concept of word-of-mouth, viral messaging, and to some extent, yes, the dreaded "guerilla marketing."

Look, I just want the vape.  I have no stake in the company, but if I could help make that vape available by taking ten minutes and spending no money, just making some posts to make people aware of it to drum up support among the potential customers for the vape, where's the harm?  If spamming is against the rules of this or any other forum, then report it or ignore it.  But posting negative things about the company that you don't even know are true is really cynical, bordering on malicious. 

Bottom line, I want one.  If you don't, then don't buy it.  But please don't try to prevent me from getting one because you don't want one, OK?

Let's stop speculating on someone that got banned and talk about this convection vape eh?!?!?!?!?! This is the Grasshopper thread, not the "let's talk about banned people." It's even against the rules to do so. It's up to the mods who to ban and who not to ban.

I'm pretty excited for reviews to start popping up on this vape! I wonder if it's more convection/conduction or more conduction/convection. REVEAL YOUR PATENT because no one is gonna steal a patent pending :)

8. #128 lwien, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
    juke, this conversation would have died awhile ago, but you keep bringing this up.........so, I will respond.

The person that came in here spamming had absolutely no previous posts whatsoever.   He/she spammed 12 different threads here with the exact same post that directed people to the GH site.    I've been around these boards, both here and at FC for almost 5 years now.    The ONLY time that I have ever seen this happen this way is when a company rep or a paid shill comes onto a site to do this.    Apparently,  the mods here felt the same, and deleted all of his posts as well as banned him.

When a fanboy comes in express to his/her delight about a specific vape, they do not come in here, with no history whatsoever and spam 12 different threads with the exact same post.

Your assumption that this was just some random person, while possible, is really a stretch.

Now if you're REALLY concerned about the bad rep that this is producing, I suggest that you quite challenging me on this and just let it die rather than continually bringing this up, and therefore, keeping this conversation alive.

You will not hear anymore from me on this as long as you don't keep bringing this subject up.

9. #129 James Corcoran, Nov 17, 2013

Yeah honestly, I second this.  Iwien, you seem like a great guy and your concern is completely understandable.  However, for those of us who are really excited about getting this vaporizer and seeing the project come to completion, all your comment does is damage the reputation of the company who is trying to get this started, despite its good intentions.

Who cares who posted it, if it gets more people to contribute to the campaign, then its all good :)

Now just hopefully it lives up to expectations, I contributed the $99 and hopefully others will too cuz if it works thats a steal for a great product!

10. Like I said James, no more from me on this.

11. #131 James Corcoran, Nov 17, 2013

Yup, both sides do have valid points.  I think someone was just a little excited :p

Iwien, I've read that you seem into getting the most bang for your buck outta herbs, have your experiences given you any kind of insight as to how well these types of vapes do at conserving herbs?  (I'm in a similar situation, except I'd say my limit is 0.05-0.1g/day).

(This is all assuming of course that this vape can actually pull off no combustion, which I believe is definitely possible, but of course yet to be confirmed).

My experience is, is that the log-style vapes such as the Purple Days, AromaZaps and UnderDogs tend to be the most efficient.    Having a very small bowl, which encourages small loads,  along with a short vapor path to keep condensation under control is key.

Vapes that can produce huge vapor clouds are counter-intuitive for weed conservation.   Vapes that use bags and therefore have a very large surface area for condensation to take place are also not very efficient as far as conservation goes.

If weed conservation is a priority, I would check out the UnderDog, the Solo and the Vapolution.

Well the heating chamber holds about .2-.3 so it might need a larger pack in order to work properly. With that being said, lots of vapes (specifically convection vapes) work well with smaller packs. I can load in â…› of the full bowl in my Solo and still get a few satisfying hits. Like Iwien said, log vapes are the best in conservation. If I recall correctly, the vapor path in the grasshopper is very VERY short.

Very good points, thanks for helping me out!  I'm really looking for a pocket portable tho, so hopefully the grasshopper will be completed and conserve well enough!  I am strongly considering a solo tho, it looks amazing, its just that having a big old glass stem sticking out of the top, while cool enough, makes the vape not pocketable.

True, so you are saying that the short vapor path may be a plus for conservation?  Is this just because less condensation gets stuck on the side like you see on the walls of whips, etc? Thanks!

15. #135 lwien, Nov 17, 2013
    One other thing that I forgot to mention is that in general, vapes that work purely on conduction are not very efficient, such as the Pax and the Ascent.   The exception to this rule is the MFLB simply because the only time any heat is applied to the herb is when you are actively hitting it with the batt fully inserted.

The GrassHopper, I believe is said to work primarily on convection, which is a very hard thing to do in a portable being that the power required to heat up a convection based vape is very hard to accomplish in a small portable.    The Ascent was billed as a hybrid, but after many reviews, it became obvious that this was not the case and that it was primarily conduction based.    We'll have to see about the GrassHopper, once it's released.

Yes that exactly, less stainless steel in the vapor path means less condensation. It also means less reclaim, but I think that the reclaim doesn't taste good. Just expect that the vapor might be harsh and/or hot. If not, that's a plus!

Agreed.  A short vapor path is a mixed bag.   While it does lessen condensation, it can also provide a hit that is very hot and dry and irritating to the throat and lungs.   While I did not have this problem with the Purple Days, I had a major issue with this with the MFLB.

18. is there a order page? Or a klickstarter? I want to buy or order one. This will be my first vape. 

Here you go.

20. Someone really contributed $1 😂[​IMG]