The Official Anti-Monsanto Thread... Memes, Discussions, Whatever...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tripace, May 26, 2013.

1. ^^^ YEAH !!! That's great guys
    Be careful growing veggies in your front yard
    The city code enforcement tried to prosecute a women for growing in her front yard

Here's the video

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3keUTEwev-o

I still fully support you guys
    Just don't wanna see some bull crap charges from the supposed law enforcers

2. #22 ConkysSweater, May 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2013

I'm pretty sure we have no such ordinances, I looked it up and couldn't find anything. But, I'd be ready for a fight if they tried to come after me. And I'd have no trouble getting public support to push back on them. Our city, luckily, is pretty good on sustainability and stuff like that.

3. That's awesome bro
    I just want my fellow home growers to be safe And informed
    They fine my grandma monthly for having a bare patch of dirt in the front yard
    Even though the patch is not bare it's full of agave plants

4. #24 Woodlock420, May 30, 2013
    Support your local farmers markets

5. #25 Woodlock420, May 30, 2013
    Sorry double post

6. That's awesome bro

I just want my fellow home growers to be safe And informed

They fine my grandma monthly for having a bare patch of dirt in the front yard

Even though the patch is not bare it's full of agave plants
    </blockquote>
    Is that a city thing or an hoa thing?

I hate hoas. I will never buy a house in an hoa and if one was established in my neighborhood it tell them to fuck off

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. From my understanding in my grandmothers case
    It's a city complaint driven ordinance

Basically one of her neighbors keeps calling the city on my grandma saying she is neglecting her yard and it makes his house look bad
    My grandmother is 73 and still works cleaning houses 4 days a week because her pension and ssi doesn't even cover the 700$ mortgage

She doesn't have the time nor energy to keep her property up to a stupid unjust city code

It's so stupid haha the street in question was labeled as the worst street in the city a couple years back because of the gang activity
    Who wants to be out doing yard work when drive bys are going on every other day haha

8. #28 Johnny Cash, May 30, 2013

I didn't say it was hard. Stick some seeds in the ground and wait. Problem is, you need to have lots of ground if you're going to grow all of your own food. Basically if you live in an apartment you can't be self-sufficient in terms of food. But of course any plant you do grow yourself is taking away from their profits. However small, it's something.

9. Very nice. So are you going to attempt growing a plant or two of the good stuff in your greenhouse? or are you too nervous you'd get caught? I've been planning on building a greenhouse of my own soon, we have a 1 acre lot, which is nice. Not sure if I'll be able to grow the herb in there or not yet though.

10. Illegal gmo wheat randomly starts growing in Oregon

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VG8RxB-dwAE&feature=g-subs-u

A genetically modified strain of wheat that was never approved by the United States Department of Agriculture as been discovered growing in Oregon, triggering a federal probe that is now spanning several states. The GMO wheat was made by biotech company Monsanto and was tested in parts of the US until 2006, at which point Monsanto stopped pursuing the USDA's approval. Investigators are now trying to figure out why the pesticide-resistant crop was still growing years later, and it couldn't come at a worst time for Monsanto. Backlash against the company continues to grow, and over the weekend millions of people around the world participated in anti-Monsanto demonstrations. Meanwhile, a so-called "ag-gag" law being proposed in North Carolina would make it illegal to expose any wrongdoings committed by Monsanto and other agriculture companies. Andy Stepanian of Sparrow Media joins Meghan Lopez to discuss
    Find RT America in your area: http://rt.com/where-to-watch/
    Or watch us online: http://rt.com/on-air/rt-america-air/

Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/RTAmerica
    Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/RT_America

11. #31 ConkysSweater, May 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2013

If I didn't live across the street from a school I probably would but my wife wasn't comfortable with it. When we move out of the city, hopefully in the next 3-5 years, we are heading to the country and I will absolutely start growing the good stuff.

I'd love to have an acre at this point, you're lucky. Our backyard is about 30' x 25' and, as you can see from the two smaller frames of the picture, our front yard is essentially non-existant. I'm not willing to move to a new place with less than 10 acres as I'd like to have some livestock as well. Ideally I can find a nice partly wooded 25-50 acre property that we can build on or that has a nice old farmhouse with a couple barns.

12. The best part about growing your veggies is that it's GREAT practice for when you're ready to take the leap and start growing your own of the sacred herb as well. I started off by growing a few peppers and a couple tomato plants in my backyard garden. Truly rewarding work.

13. #34 Johnny Cash, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2013
    To the libertarians here: what would you think is the solution to this? I'm talking about a large-scale solution, so grow your own food doesn't count. However admirable I think that is, not everybody has the means to do so.

14. #35 halcyone, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2013
    I've grown a good portion of what I eat for many years.  My parents were hippy-type doomsday preppers who were big on self reliance.  Thanks Mom and Dad!!

15. Will definitely keep myself updated on this thread and the upcoming events involving Monsanto.. I knew right away that they were ultimately trying to pull a monopoly, but I wasn't fully informed on the facts about GMOS. I have heard that they are harmless and I have heard they have serious health risks in the long run. Overall I am pretty much against the idea of Monsanto wanting to be the only people to provide our food...

Maybe I can have my own little patch of tomatoes and strawberries, and life will be good again.  ^_^

16. Shop farmers markets. Get everything you can find locally produced. I'm guessing in Europe that's not difficult to do.

17. I highly suggest peppers too, I love growing a mild, sweet variety and throwing one or two on the grill when I'm cooking out, they are so tasty once you let the skin start to blister up and blacken a little, then I love throwing that on a burger with a little BBQ sauce!

I think the food in the supermarket is mostly locally produced too, non-GMO. But what I'm really wondering is this. What is to stop farmers from using the worst kinds of GMOs and pesticides and such in a purely libertarian society?

19. What would that do for them ?
    They would be just hurting them selves.

Courtesy to the next person is a must
    Do on to others as you want done to you

We've lost respect for one another and it sucks

Local produce means within 400 miles .