Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dragon Lite.....another Tincture Thread

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, May 15, 2013.

1. #781 PsychedelicSam, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    I'm glad that it worked so well for you, Sylvatican, and you deserve credit for sticking with it and not giving up. . I'm afraid that I don't know anything about purging but you've come to the right place about post-extraction decarb of oils. I do have some tests but haven't entered them in that thread yet. They are located in my main thread in this area: Starting here and over the course of the next few pages there are three examples of decarbing infused coconut oil after the extraction.

As strange as it may seem, the more you evaporate, the less burn sublingually. The reason for that is that you have less alcohol to burn for the same dosage.

I'm so glad you had success. :)

2. I am really excited that I just found a big container of ABV. I had it stashed in an end table cabinet and found it while I was looking for my extra computer cord . It's vaped really lightly so should work well. I thought I had thrown it away.

It won't matter that it's a little old, will it? It's been sitting in the dark for a probably a couple of years.

3. #783 sickmanfraud, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2015
    On my iPad it seems to say that the emoticons are inside the quotes?

Hopefully the GC bosses will get the whole site usable by everyone after the holidays.

4. #784 PsychedelicSam, Dec 31, 2015
    The age isn't going to affect it much. [​IMG] Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

5. The container may creak and moan some when you open it.
    LOL
    [​IMG]

6. Yay! I'll be making tincture with probably 2 cups of avb. I'll have to weigh it to know exactly how many grams it is .

7. For my ABV batches I've been reusing the reduction and making triple strength batches.

Basically, I use about a half oz at a time, pouring just enough Everclear to cover it and let it set for a day. Then I'll strain it and reduce it by half, then use that to make a new batch and add just enough fresh alcohol to cover it again.

You can do it as many times as you want really, I did it 5 times and made some killer cookies I took to a Grateful Dead show and had a blast.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

8. Unless I misunderstood your post you are reducing ethanol tincture, then adding that reduced GD to more fresh ethanol and running the material over again.

Where I live the prices of ethanol have varied over the last year and a half or so, but currently I pay $40 per liter.

I would use the same ethanol several times and then reduce at the end.

You can always pour a little bit of ethanol into the filter containing the cannabis to kind of rinse out the cannabinoids.

9. I am new to all of this. What is ethanol? I am going to use everclear. I was just wondering if I have enough ever clear.
    You don't put it in the freezer at all? I am going to use Sam's directions on the first couple pages of this thread.

10. Ethanol is "drinking alcohol". If your everclear is 190 proof, then its 95% ethanol. If it's 151 then its 75.5% ethanol.

11. Sorry for the confusion. I say ethanol because where I live there is 96% ethanol, but nothing called everclear.

I was trying to avoid confusion, but did the opposite.

Sorry

12. oh yeah, We get warned here when you buy it that it's really strong, stronger than 151. I threw the bottle away, so I don't know whether it's 190 proof. I might have to buy some more looking at how much ABV I have.

Oregon has state liquor stores. You can't buy hard liquor in the grocery store the way you can in other states. There are 2 of these stores in my town.

13. Sam is there another recipe for ABV? I was planning to just follow your guide on the first few pages but then I thought there might be some sort of difference for vaped bud. I am going to stick it in the freezer. The everclear is already in the freezer.

I wasn't even sure if I still needed to put it in the freezer. I know you said it's not necessary to decarb.

why do you have to decarb if you're making edibles? I know there has to be heat to make it work, but doesn't it get heated when you bake something?

14. #794 PsychedelicSam, Jan 6, 2016
    The ABV guide is Jojo's because I don't vape but you would still use the freezer like the other guides. Recent tests indicate that it does not decarb from the vaporizer but enough experienced people have said otherwise that I'll leave that up to you. The main thing is to use lots of the material since it's not a strong anymore.

Nate's method is a good one and is similar to what I use for my leftover batches. I don't reduce first before I reuse the alcohol, just strain it and use it in the next jar. I split my material in several jars and do one at a time using the same alcohol but it will need topping off each time. Then you reduce it.

You decarb for edibles in order to activate the cannabinoids that are ordinarily activated by the heat from the joint/pipe ember or a vaporizer. The heat causes a chemical reaction that loses part of it's original composition which then allows the the THC and other cannabinoids to link directly to the receptors in your body. If that piece stays attached the molecule will not fit into the receptor, like a square peg in a round hole. Since there is no live fire in our bodies to make that conversion, it has to be done in a different fashion in order to work. Thus, decarboxylation. [​IMG] magiciendisparait (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

15. Sam,

I thought of something that may reconcile your testing and other folks' anecdotal evidence regarding AVB and whether it needs further decarbing.

You tested AVB within a couple of days of use, correct?

I can't speak for others, but it takes me a long long long time to accumulate enough AVB to do something with.

Could it be that the material finished decarbing while waiting to be used?

I wonder if we took a control sample and an AVB sample to see how long each takes to decarb fully would we find that partially decarbed (AVB) material may finish decarbing faster than fresh green herbs?

16. The AVB I tested was about a week old but I get your point. There is the possibility that it could decarb over time but so far in the testing that time is about 3 years minimum for anything close to a full decarb and I'm not sure I have the time to wait. That's why I'm not making any definitive statement about AVB. Nearly everybody says they have good results without decarbing and in this case I'm not going to argue. It may be that decarbing the small amount of THCA would increase the strength a bit more but I don't plan to do more with AVB than toss it in the ashtray

It's a good idea, though, smf and maybe someone with the time and the material will follow through with tests. [​IMG]

17. Thanks for your reply.

I am typing on the new GC app for iPad
    Hopefully now that this is done the GC bosses will get the IT guys on the windows app.

18. What if one was to collect their AVB in a container of Everclear and just keep adding to it as more becomes avail?
    The only problem would still be decarb or would it occur naturally ?

19. I am about to make my first ever batch of ABV Tincture following JoJo's recipe (post #69). I think I understand everything except for one part. After you do the first 4 hour freeze and

"shake for 15 minutes then filter. I filter through cheescloth straight out of the jar. I leave the ABV wet with alcohol through the second 24 hour chill, basically I just put a couple layers of cheescloth over the jar and pour off most of the alcohol"

...where does this filtered alcohol go? I'm assuming it goes in its own container that you will then add to on the subsequent filter the next day, but does the first batch of filtered everclear go into the freezer or just in the closet or what? Also, when it says leave the ABV wet with alcohol, that basically means just strain off all the alcohol and then put it back in its jar moist for the next freeze right?

Thanks for any help guys, I just recently got my vaporizer and it's blowing my mind how many uses there are for the AVB.

20. It would occur naturally within 3 months. I'm getting ready to post a 1 month test and that may be enough for AVB but that would be from the time you added the freshest. [​IMG]