3 days into germination

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jeebles1, May 6, 2013.

1. I've been germinating in a glass of water for nearly 3 days and the seeds have only just started to crack, with the taproots visible but not protruding. Is it safe to leave them submerged in the water until they extend 1/4 inch, or should I transfer them directly to soil? To be honest i'd rather keep them in the water so that I know they've fully germinated but not if this will damage them. How long can I keep them in the water before they start to rot? Btw, I will not be transferring to paper towel as I've had no success with it in the past.

2. The way I do it ,I wet a paper towel fold add seeds ,then I put the towel in a ziploc baggie fill with air and zip
    ..make sure its on top of something warm ,the warmth is what speeds up the prosess ...

3. don't leave them in the water. the purpose of the water is to soften up the outer shell. if they are cracked and still sitting in water. they are likely drowning. put them right into ur medium asap

4. Take it out the water and place in between EEG paper towels for the next day or two. The seed should only be soaked in a cup of water for 24hrs,

5. #5 jeebles1, May 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2013
    Okay even though I said I wouldn't use that method I've transferred them to paper towels. You mentioned that they're only supposed to stay in water for 24 hours, so how likely is it that the seeds are up the creek, i.e. fucked?

EDIT: The taproots in 2 of the seeds are now protruding 1mm....if these continue to grow surely that's a good sign...will the plants experience any negative effects further down the line after being germinated in the glass of water for too long? in which case maybe i should germinate another batch of seeds?

6. #6 JaNicPin, May 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013

7. #7 jeebles1, May 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2013
    Ok i'll wait until tonight then transfer them to soil.....my plan is to fully water the soil and let it drain before poking the hole in. Is this okay or should i plant in dry soil and water after.. how much should i use? Sorry for the stupid questions; this is obviously my first grow.

8. #8 JaNicPin, May 6, 2013

9. ok thanks for your help man

10. #10 JaNicPin, May 6, 2013

11. No success with paper towel? you must be doing it wrong. I've had 100% success rate with it from germinating about 30 seeds recently, all germinated.