Do You Agree With Background Checks for Gun Purchases?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by lilro, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Let's see what the results are here on GC.

2. Hell to the no sir

3. Ehh. I feel like most people will seem so normal and pass the backround checks but be these corrupt and ill minded lunatics. So it really wouldnt matter.

4. I dont agree with the ones we have, much less new ones...

5. I'm still on the fence about all of this.

On one hand, I feel like expanding background checks to something like online purchases is fine, but when all this talk about "mentally ill" sparks up I completely begin to question what the government is going to classify as "mentally ill". Could it be something like depression or anxiety, which are very common illnesses and could limit law-abiding citizens from purchasing firearms? What if a young girl attempts suicide because she is bullied at school, then later on in her life isnt able to purchase a firearm because she has a blemish on her record from when she was much younger?

Then the issue with non-violent criminals not being able to purchase, and people with mmj on their records cant purchase I dont agree with. No where in the Constitution or the 2nd Amendment does it give the government the power to do any of these things I've mentioned.

But at the same time guns are such an easy way to kill and are so readily available to people, and are so prominent in society that some sort of regulation should be put into buying a firearm, but what?

Even if someone is stopped from purchasing a firearm because of a background check they surely will find other means to acquire one, or simply result to using something else to cause harm.

The whole thing seems FUBAR to me, and maybe I will just always be on the fence and never give a yes or no vote to any new legislation.

6. I understand exactly where you're coming from. It's a slippery slope with no clear cut answer. One thing I'd like to point out though is that background checks are already required for online purchases. The way online gun purchases work is this: buyer finds the gun they want, buyer gives address of FFL dealer to the seller, seller ships gun to dealer, and dealer runs the background check, buyer passes check, dealer gives gun to buyer after legal transfer.

7. [quote name='"goober0331"']I'm still on the fence about all of this.

On one hand, I feel like expanding background checks to something like online purchases is fine, but when all this talk about "mentally ill" sparks up I completely begin to question what the government is going to classify as "mentally ill". Could it be something like depression or anxiety, which are very common illnesses and could limit law-abiding citizens from purchasing firearms? What if a young girl attempts suicide because she is bullied at school, then later on in her life isnt able to purchase a firearm because she has a blemish on her record from when she was much younger?

Then the issue with non-violent criminals not being able to purchase, and people with mmj on their records cant purchase I dont agree with. No where in the Constitution or the 2nd Amendment does it give the government the power to do any of these things I've mentioned.

But at the same time guns are such an easy way to kill and are so readily available to people, and are so prominent in society that some sort of regulation should be put into buying a firearm, but what?

Even if someone is stopped from purchasing a firearm because of a background check they surely will find other means to acquire one, or simply result to using something else to cause harm.

The whole thing seems FUBAR to me, and maybe I will just always be on the fence and never give a yes or no vote to any new legislation.[/quote]

Wait, if you get a medical marijuana card, you can't own a firearm? Ever? Or is it a state by state thing? That is complete bullshit! For example, my grandma, she uses medical marijuana, she can't own a gun for her own safety? How else is a 75 year old cancer patient supposed to defend herself in the case of a home invasion? Complete BS!!!!

8. Not sure on the medical aspect, but I am fairly certain that if a person has a non-violent drug charge than they are prohibited from purchasing a firearm. I used mj as an example, and realized in my post that I wasnt quite clear on it.

9. once again...SCREW PUBLIC POLLS...

try again with a regular voting system.

10. #10 lilro, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2013
    It depends. She cannot legally purchase a firearm from a dealer, as buying from a dealer requires you to fill out a 4473 form, and one of the questions asks if you are a user or addicted to a controlled substance. The ATF released a memo stating that even if medical marijuana is legal in your state, answering "no" to that question is perjury, and answering "yes" disqualifies you from passing the NICS background check. The legal way (grey area) for your grandma to get a firearm would be through a private face to face sale. If she is in California, she cannot do this, as even private sales require you to fill out the 4473. Not sure about the other MMJ states. Another way to get around it is for your grandmother to take a t-break long enough to get the THC out of her system, and then make the purchase. It will make it harder for her to win a self-defense case in court though if she uses it whilst having THC in her system. And yes, it is complete BS, and it is a good thing it did not pass federally yesterday.

And goober is not correct. Your grandma can have a completely clean record with no drug charges and still be considered a "prohibited person".

11. Not worth having a government to enforce it.

12. I agree with them, I think anyone purchasing a handgun or other type of firearm should submit to a background check, what would an uptanding citizen really have to fear? I don't believe it's the start of a national gun registry or something of the like because of universal background checks. I do think if it can keep even a few people from being killed by some dick who shouldn't have a gun it's worth the check.

13. I only think you should forfeit your rights to arms after initiating violent force.

Other than that, no. We shouldn't take rights away from people because of any type of handicap, etc.

14. Who are you to put a background check between me and and my freedom to engage in commerce with others?

On a marijuana forum, of all places.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I believe there should be some sort of background check for someone who is buying a gun.

16. Hell the fuck NO!!! Mind your own damn business and let me mind mine.

17. Why are you asking the criminals on this forum, we are all criminals in the eyes of the law and the government. None of us should be allowed to own guns according to the feds. We all have reefer madness and can't be trusted.

So hypocritical if you are a stoner and vote yes.

18. Well if the "crazy right-wing gun nut extremists" of the NRA voted 74% in favor of background checks, surely the "peaceful left-wing hippie" marijuana smokers would be more in favor of background checks. :rolleyes:

19. I see guns are as much as a right as driving. Some people can't handle them properly, but I don't know if that makes government intervention necessary or if we should leave them to their own devices.

20. How so?