Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is weed a gateway drug?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by TimeIsIllmatic, Apr 17, 2013.

1. I know this probably differs for everyone, whether or not they decide to move on to bigger and badder drugs, but in general, would you consider pot to be a gateway drug?

I don't really know why it would be...Me and my dad were discussing this the other day (more like the other month, actually haha) and he says it will usually happen in one of two ways:

1) You're dealer will be out of bud, but will have some other drug for you try.

2) You're tolerance is too high, so you'll try something stronger to get the feeling back.

My rebuttals:

1) It's not 1978 Dad, I have a cellphone now and I'm obviously going to use it and call my guy beforehand to see if he has any bud. If he says no, yet has something else to offer, I'll just politely, yet firmly, deny. I don't hang out with those people anyway (I get my weed from a 40 year old chick who runs a day-care, I doubt she's holding anything harder than weed).

2) Then I'll take a fucking T-break haha.

****Please avoid using specific names for other drugs, as it will get the thread deleted. Thank you : )

2. You may get a few more talking points from these articles from my List (see bottom of my sig for your free copy)

The Myth of Marijuana's Gateway Effect (news - undated)
    [FONT=&quot]The Myth of Marijuana's Gateway Effect

[/FONT] Reassessing the gateway effect (full - 2002)
    http://www.ukcia.org/research/ReassessingGatewayEffect.pdf

Twin study fails to prove 'gateway' hypothesis (letter - 2003)
    http://www.ukcia.org/research/EscalationOfDrugUse/TwinStudyFailsToProveGateway.html

Study Questions Marijuana As Gateway Drug (news - 2006)
    http://www.drugfree.org/join-together/drugs/study-says-marijuana-is-no

No 'Smoking' Gun: Research Indicates Teen Marijuana Use Does Not Predict Drug, Alcohol Abuse (news - 2006) No 'Smoking' Gun: Research Indicates Teen Marijuana Use Does Not Predict Drug, Alcohol Abuse

Gateway To Nowhere? The Evidence That Pot Doesn't Lead To Heroin (news - 2006)
    Gateway To Nowhere? The Evidence That Pot Doesn't Lead To Heroin: The Hempire - [cannabis, london]

Study of 4000 indicates marijuana discourages use of hard drugs. (news – 2008)
    Study of 4000 indicates marijuana discourages use of hard drugs.

The Surprising Effect Of Marijuana On Morphine Dependence (news - 2009)
    The surprising effect of cannabis on morphine dependence

Active Ingredient In Cannabis Eliminates Morphine Dependence In Rats
    (news - 2009) Active Ingredient In Cannabis Eliminates Morphine Dependence In Rats

Evaluating the drug use "gateway" theory using cross-national data: Consistency and associations of the order of initiation of drug use among participants in the WHO World Mental Health Surveys. (full - 2010) Evaluating the drug use

3. 1. If my dealer is out of bud, I smoke resin or not smoke at all. If you are a daily smoker, just a day or two t-break can make a very noticeable difference.
    2. Your tolerance should never get so high that you still don't get high from weed, unless you go from dabs back to flower, you will notice that dabs got you much higher.

4. Its a gateway to the snack cabinet :)

5. yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

6. It's a gateway drug for stupid people. My choices I have made to do or not do a certain drug have all been mine and have no been affected by my choice to smoke weed.

7. #7 iLikeOreos69, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2013
    If I had to choose between it being or not being a gateway drug then I'd say it is a gateway drug. Maybe not to hard drugs but a gateway to other lesser drugs like spice or something.

8. If it leads to anything I would say it would be more pshycadelic drugs than anything. And speed is not a lesser drug it is there with coke anf heroin

9. [​IMG]

10. Last edited by iLikeOreos69; Today at 10:24 PM. \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\tReason: I study and clean my room on speed...didn't think that was bad. lol sry

wat

11. Son, spice(or speed) is worse than weed.

12. I can't always go out and fuck shit up....might as well be a productive member of society and do good in school.

13. I'm just gonna stop talking.

14. huh? Either you're high, or I am.

15. What am i saying wrong?

16. It's not as much of a gateway drug as say, tobacco or alcohol. It's still a gateway drug though considering you have to get it illegally through a dealer in most cases that might have some other drugs to choose from.

17. I'd say it's a gateway drug in the sense that it might change your attitude toward drugs in general, and make you a lot more open minded and ready to try different things. That's what happened to me anyway...lol

18. I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists[​IMG]

19. Wtf is going on?

20. Weed is only a gateway drug if you one lack the will power to say no to hardcore drugs in the first place or B have wanted to try them in the first place.
    Cigarettes can be more of a "gateway drug"