Coffee Grounds

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by ChucklesT, Apr 9, 2013.

1. I was wondering if coffee grounds were any good as a fertilizer / growing medium. I know people, my mom included, use coffee grounds on flowers and other plants. I drink a LOT of coffee, and not old, processed Folgers crap. Fresh, home roasted, organic coffee. I've read that pH has a lot to do with the overall health and development of the plant, and I was also wondering if coffee grounds were too acidic.

2. Best used in compost, pretty acidic if just made or whatever

3. I read on a vermicomposting forum that used coffee grounds are only slightly acidic and can be used directly on the soil. However, if you topdress too many it'll form like a water resistant crust.

4. ^this

compost that shit :D it is high in nitrogen, if that is the nutrient you are looking for.

5. Yes it is acidic, I add very little to my planters. I advize you make a huge pot of coffee and just run more water through it, like extra spent coffee grounds. Luckily where I am, I have virtually no parasites to worry about.

6. Edit-

I use Folgers and it works fine. I am sure the organic beans just adds to the beneficial fertilizer. :smoking:

7. Thanks for the info guys! I don't think reusing the coffee grounds is necessary. I use a moka pot, which pretty much saps the grounds of all their oils and acids. I'll try using them in small amounts and compost the rest.