PRUNING to increase upper bud yield??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Parkoursome, Apr 3, 2013.

1. You anthropomorphizing a plant lol. That's not how it works buddy you ain't gonna find "plant sympathy" here. Plant fingers? Lol.

2. #42 Rezerg, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2013
    You think that's crazy, wait till he gets going on plant circumcisions

The plant isn't going to try to regroup anything if you cut the entire fan off. It's going to fight back by upping the production of other elements, but if you have enough light to penetrate everything then you wouldn't need to trim at all IMO. I only tie leaves together now but when I did trim, I would always see a day of recoup in the plant then the energy seemed to be redirected to the plant that was still there since there's no fan to collect and give energy, it bypasses the cut branch after its healed. This could be beneficial if it was blocking small nugs BUT

you would have to do this during vegetation to see any real gains. Otherwise, ur just taking away energy.

IMO spend 400 bucks on a good light and some cheap CFLs for the side. It'll be way less hassle.

3. Why do people get so upset when others disagree with them.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions

Anyway I have recently starting trimming my plants more aggressively
    I way always afraid to cause shock or slowed growth.
    During my last grow i decided to pull up my skirt abit and go for it.
    I run a scrog and I prune to get light to more budsites.
    If a leaf is in the way its got to go and if not it stays.
    I stayed clear from the newest leaves at the top and
    left enough foliage for it to recover.
    Every 2 days it needs to be trim and my girls show no signs of slowed production.
    If you think it doesnt work give it a try for yourself.

4. All I know is I get more when I use the tie down than pruning. It looks like my can leaves are all clapping when I tie em down

5. Every time I come into this thread there is another person trying to say trimming fan leaves hurts the plant and your yield. I will continue to respond to you until you understand that its just not true. I am going to REPOST this since so many people seem to think this way and continue to reply. Trimming has always been a hot debate but in practice it has been show to increase yield, it does don't believe it? then you haven't tried it.

Fingers aren't leaves, I have 10 fingers, they don't give me energy and I don't have 500 fingers like a plant has leaves.

If someone here would like to post evidence, or PROOF, or someone more credible than, I grew a plant, didn't trim and it was nice... Bold are some main points you should understand, and yes this guy knows more than you about growing and I am not going to argue whether the cannabis growing legend, who opened Oaksterdam and taught this subject for a living, researched cannabis for 30 years, knows his stuff or not. Ed Rosenthal is one of only a handful that gives out such great advice.

Ed Rosenthal: Most of the yield of buds is going to be harvested from the top of the canopy, where the light is most intense. This should be the main area of the plant that is pampered.
    Once light hits a bud, leaf or any non-reflective surface, its energy is absorbed. For this reason light can penetrate only 10-12 inches into the canopy. If the canopy is filled with vegetation, any vegetation beneath that area is in shadow and is not expected to yield very much.

There are techniques to increase yield in this situation: first, remove any fan leaves that are blocking light getting to buds. Don't pick fan leaves that are not blocking light because they are factories converting light to sugars, which the plants use for energy and growth.
    If there is open space in the canopy, tie, bend, or stake branches so that they occupy the area.

Remove understory underdeveloped branches, leaves and small flowers. They are wasting the plant's energy that will be better used in the action areas.
    Another technique is to supply side lighting to the understory using either fluorescents or HPS lamps. Fluorescent tubes or compact fluorescents (CFLs) can be placed around or even inside the garden, and sometimes between the plants to light the lower buds.

Harvest the garden in stages. Sometimes only the top portion of the bud is mature. Harvest the ripe part, but let the lower portion stay on the plant for a few more days. As the lower portion of the bud matures, the top portion of the understory, below the bud where the medium sized but immature buds are, starts to receive more light and responds with additional growth and maturation. Within three to five days the lower bud matures and is harvested. This leaves the understory completely exposed to light. It will mature in another five to seven days.

6. No matter what you say man people are going to disagree with you, just let those ignorant people keep thinking what they want. You can show them proof after proof and they will deny it. they are suffering with their yields and popcorn buds not you. Just hope that the OP takes your advice and not theirs.

7. Damn people get trips about the smallest things. Let em do whatever he wants. Give advice but no need to go crazy if they don't take it.

8. I don't think strawberrywidow is getting mad cause the OP isn't taking his advice. I think he is getting mad cause there is people in the post saying your hurting your plant slowing growth and effecting yield when that is not the case at all. I even cut a lot off last night measured the ladies today they grew two inches in 24 hours, doesn't seem like it slowed up the growth for me. I'm use to an Inch a day but not a pails two inches in 24 hours

9. Yeah I already pruned it like 2 weeks ago lol

Attached Files:

10. Good decision man!!! just try to do it earlier in flower before the end of 2nd week of flower cause then it will start effecting yield or even better veg. Don't be afraid to cut off SOME fan leafs covering bud sites in the canopy if possible just bend them out of the way. my understanding is that the canopy can only get as big as the root systems and vise versus basically. So by cutting plants lower branches your promoting growth cause the canopy is gonna try to catch up with the root system and there is only one place for the new growth to come out and that's the top. I had this explained to me by multiple growers with 10 plus years under their belt. Like I said I cut my lower branches and the lowest bud sites on the lower branches I kept. grew 2 inches one night. seems to me the theory is true since the girls have been only increasing an inch/24 hours constantly then all of a sudden 2 inches in 24 hours.

11. Saying you don't need to trim to get a good yield is one thing, saying that trimming leaves will hurt your plant and your yield is another. Not mad simply making an argument in response to someone else who basically said trimming (or something I practice) is wrong or bad.

I actually didn't realize so many had replied at the time meant to just repost the first thing I had already put up since people kept rehashing the same thing that was already discussed.

12. #52 Rezerg, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013
    Fan leaves provide sugars and energy to the plant, this we can agree on yes? It would only make sense that tieing leaves together would be more beneficial since you're getting twice the energy since you Keats the leaves plus the lower foliage is now getting light as well, so the popcorns won't be so popcorn like and harvesting in stages gets you even better product.

Lol

13. Yes we both agree, did you read the post? lol it indeed says to tie down what leaves/branches you can. You should still cut out all the lower growth though... The light only penetrates so far because leaves absorb it. More leaves is not better necessarily, read the post. Its important to recognize that once the energy is hits the canopy it will never make it down south very far as the leaves at the top take all the energy leaving the bottom with almost none.

The post also address harvesting the plant in stages to let the plant fully mature.

14. Totally agree with you, same here - pruned and after 24/48 hours, they OBVIOUSLY grow much bigger

15. Yup, I'm just saying the lower growth can get nice and frosty too if you can max out your light coverage. If you can't do that is the only time I'd advise to prune.

16. #56 porrista, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013
    I wish I ask for advice in this thread yesterday.

Last night I cut about 30 leaves from my plant, including almost all big fan leaves.

Lower fan leaves were turning light green already, not sure if because they were not getting light or because there were being consumed already, I'm finishing week 2 into flowering.

The plant currently has about 60-90 more leaves, medium size, I just cut the ones that were shading smaller tops.

Do you guys think I'm safe, or did I messed up?

Attached Files:

17. I created a thread somewhere and in it I took pics of the plant I had where the leaf was removed and no branch grew there. Probably in my list of threads. Just INCASE you wanna check it for yourself broski

18. You are more than safe buddy, infact, please could you keep posting pics of this plant in this thread so we can finally put this to bed. Your buds will benefit what you have done.
    I am running 2 large scrogs atm, feel free to have a look in my sig, and I remove some leaves almost daily.

19. #59 Scottish, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2013
    Wrong thread lol

20. Thanks Scottish, it is great to hear that.

If you are asking me, it is a Royal Dwarf Auto, from RQS, the journal is in my signature. I will post some pics later in this thread.

I'm using CFL, not HPS.

BTW, I don't see your signature.