Absolute Best Fine Grinders for Vaping?

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by Blahman, Mar 13, 2013.

1. My really small grinder which I got with my old MFLB is the best for grinding vaporizer weed. Much better than any other grinder ive used!

2. the mflb finisher could be a good addition to get that extra fine property you wish.

3. I was wondering this same thing, and then this forum reminded me that Magic Flight makes their own!

4. this^^^ you dont have to go that big either there's handheld automatic grinders that grind finely like a food processor......finer ground nugs than any hand-grinders......unless maybe a fine-holed credit card grinder, but i have no experience with them thats why i said maybe

5. For a grinder, get a good 4 piece like a Space Case or Sharpstone and just turn it up side down to grind. If you really want a super fine grind, grind it up and then put it in a pill bottle with a coin and shake until its basically powder or get one of those metal kitchen strainers or use a grinder screen and just push and rotate it through the screen like you're grating it.

6. The Magic Flight Finishing grinder is supposed to be great. A GC user here named Vito did a review of it.

I use the MF Nano grinder for my MFLB, gets it pretty fine but a little inconsistent. I love the way it fits in the box though for easy transfering. Cost $15

7. The MF Nano is the best I've used for fine grinds (other than turning it to dust with an electric coffee grinder). Like my SC 2pc fine for home grinding, but let that dry a bit more and regrind with MF Nano for nice fine MFLB grind. Usually I carry pre-ground in small plastic container and it dries a little more on its own.

But, the Nano is pretty small. Think it would depend on what size load you're putting in your Volcano.

8. My buddy used to put whole popcorn nugs in his digital volcano, and we would grind it up after one or 2 bags. We used to get 5 or 6 doing it this way vs 4 when grinding it up right away

9. I have one where it collects kief and drops the ground herb to a chamber below when ts the ought size. I do what someone else mentioned and grind it upside down for a while first so it can't all drop down. Then I flip it and let it sort out.

10. Op, after you grind up your weed and its halfway full in your grinder, put a coin in it and keep shaking for 5-10 minutes... Itll be pretty fine after you finished

11. #31 RolandDeschain, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2013
    I used to think it made a difference. I finally realized that the only thing that was happening was the fine grind allowed me to fit more in one bowl. It also made my screen clog up much faster.

It's easy to see with a 4pc grinder: just grind up some herb normally and get a good look at how much herb is in there. Dump it into the lid and grind upside-down a bit (if your herb's kinda moist, let it dry out a bit once you grind it the first time around). The apparent volume of herb is cut to about a third. More herb in one bowl = illusion of surface area myth working.

I stopped double-grinding my herb, I'm just as high, it encourages me to use less since it's fluffier, and I don't have to clean my screen so much anymore :smoking:

12. OP here again. After further use, I sold off my Spacecase two piece, my chrusher is collecting dust, and I have exclusively been using the plastic Storz and Bickel grinder. Whoever posted about just using that one and to basically STFU (I exaggerate for comedic effect) you were right!

I might see about making some wooden handles for it. It would be nice to have some more grip and weight to it. But overall, even though it's plastic, it seems to be holding up just fine, and produces way finder grinds about 10x faster than the more expensive 2 piece Spacecase.

I am intrigued by your premise that surface area doesn't really matter. I'm always interested in empiricism rather than inference, since I know loads of "common sense" facts are simply things that sound logical but don't actually operate as described.

That being said, inference wise, the surface area theory has a lot going for it given that we are trying to heat up as much herb as possible to extract as much vapor as possible. Would you really say a tightly packed nugget won't perform better than a finely ground one of the same weight? It seems pretty reasonable to me that the heat would not penetrate the deep recesses of a tight nugget, and even if it did, the vapor might not escape as quickly or as effectively.) Or are you just saying that ripping the herb up a bit with your hands is sufficient, and there is no benefit from getting out the grinder to do a better job of it?

(For what it's worth, I always weigh my herb before loading and never just do it visually. I have a fairly accurate scale that measures down to .01g, not just .1g. I haven't ever tried not grinding though, so I don't have any actual evidence one way or the other. Perhaps it's time to experiment a bit!)

13. lol......that was me.

14. Electric weed grinders that fit in your pocket are getting popular now... try looking into them on Amazon.

Just try searching for electric weed grinder and check out the top results.