EC/PPM To High

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Shadek, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Hey everyone!

First grower here, so still learning.

I have a couple questions in regards to EC and PPM readings when testing runoff.

Here's some info on my grow:
    Strains: Delicious Seeds - Cotton Candy & Nirvana Seeds - Bubblicious
    Light: 400W at 75% power - 10 inches away from plants
    Soil: FFOF
    Temp: 78-83
    Humidity: 45-50
    Pots: 5 Gallon Smart Pots
    Water: Distilled
    EC/TDS Meter: HM Digital COM-100
    I've been watering every 4-5 days

The Cotton Candy is on day 23 of veg and Bubblicious is on day 19.

I've heard from multiple sources that you don't need to start feeding your plants until around week 3 or 4 when using FFOF so I've held off on my FFOF nutes. I have been feeding them around 1 tsp of "roots organics Trinity" and about 1/8 tsp of Cal/Mag per gallon of water for the last 3 waterings (The gallon of water is split between the 2 plants)

I just watered them today and I tested the EC/PPM of my runoff water and holy crap was it high.
    My Cotton Candy was around 2.05 EC and my Bubblicious was around 3.05 EC.
    Researching this more, I was in the range for Full Mature Blooms, which is between 2.0 - 3.2 EC. I should be between .6 - 1.4 EC based on the age of my plants.
    After having a minor freakout session I examined my plants for any visual defects.
    The Cotton Candy looked fine, but I noticed that a few tips on the Bubblicious had some discoloration.

I immediately began to flush the Bubblicious plant back down to around .8 EC.

Now, if you are still reading this novel, I have a few questions in regards to what happened.

Should I begin to flush the Cotton Candy plant even if I don't see any defects considering its higher then normal EC?

After flushing my Bubblicious plant should I feed her a reduced dosage of the Trinity, Cal/Mag solution now or wait until the next watering to start my nutes?

Should I be feeding every other watering when I start my FFOF nutes so I don't run into this issue again? I still have no idea how my EC/PPM got so high. Apparently, I just gave them to much or should have gave them a break every other watering.

I guess I just want some reassurance on if I did the right thing from someone that has been in this situation.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Updated Photos:
    Bubblicious with discolored leaf tip.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bubblicious Plant:
    [​IMG]

Cotton Candy:
    [​IMG]

2. #2 mmman, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2013
    Friend... would you not want to flush the Cotton Candy considering you've already experienced this debacle, and you might indeed see symptoms since the plant is probably already loaded up... at least that's my opinion.

I don't use your method, but I've heard to many folks say the best method for feeding is water, water, feed as opposed to water, feed.

Your plants look great, best I can tell. Manage your hydroponic cultivation with low to medium range EC levels (i.e. approx. EC 1.0 mS/cm based on a starting EC of 0.4-0.5 mS/cm).