Getting My First Car.

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by AddyT420, Mar 3, 2013.

1. #1 AddyT420, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013
    I am getting a car next year and would like to get info, experiences, warnings, stories from all of you.
    I really like hatchback/Fastback looking cars a lot. The car has to be under 3000 though. Any suggestions welcome.

2. I drive a mk4 jetta Vr6. Main thing to look for is condition of the car. Some tips to consider:

MY personal 2 Golden Rules: Low Miles & only 2 owners max!

1. ALWAYS ask for accident history reports so that you know the car hasn't been in accidents.
    2. Never buy modded cars (muffler, exhaust, turbos, anything motor related, just don't)
    3. if its manual, start the car up in 2nd gear, if it starts; that means the clutch is good and wont need replacing.
    4. Since its a VW, always ask if the timing chain, water pump, or timing belt has been done. (this is a very $$ if it hasn't been done
    5. Always take a buddy with you who knows about cars (someone older, unless you know a really good friend)

Thats about all i can think of, If you have any other questions, reply here or PM me. Hope this helps!

3. Make sure you know how well maintained the car was before. If it was kept up on oil changes etc. Even a car that's known to be reliable won't be if it wasn't taken care off. Don't buy a car over 150k miles

4. If you buy from a private seller then and don't know much of cars either bring a friend who does or bring it to a mechanic to inspect it before you buy it

5. Thanks guys.

6. If you plan on working on it yourself, get a Chevrolet. If trucks are your thing and gas mileage isn't a problem get a Silverado with the 350 vortec. Mine had 230,000 miles on it, still ran strong when I crashed it. My buddy has one with like 270,000 miles on it he beats the shit out of it and it still runs strong.

7. #7 BlazeLE, Mar 4, 2013
    240sx is your car my friend. figure like $1000-1500 for the car which leaves you $2000-1500 for coilovers, intake/exhaust and welding your dif. dont buy an automatic.

so for 3k
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrUW7ndwolM[/ame]

dont do this. the 240 will run stronger and be more reliable than a chevy, is easy as fuck to work on, parts are cheap and plentiful, and the 240 will get around 23-25mpg city which is better than what a truck would get only driving on the highway.

8. [quote name='"BlazeLE"']

240sx is your car my friend. figure like $1000-1500 for the car which leaves you $2000-1500 for coilovers, intake/exhaust and welding your dif. dont buy an automatic.

so for 3k
    Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrUW7ndwolM

dont do this. the 240 will run stronger and be more reliable than a chevy, is easy as fuck to work on, parts are cheap and plentiful, and the 240 will get around 23-25mpg city which is better than what a truck would get only driving on the highway.[/quote]

please OP, don't be that guy

if you're going import look for an old civic hatch or teg

9. Next year?

Lolwut?

10. You want a Subaru.

11. Yea that sounds great when your still fairly inexperienced of a driver a 240 with a welded diff. going to end in a wreck. And i dont see a beater 240 thats been thrashed on running bstter then a truck that probably hasnt been beat on much.

12. want reliability? go Japanese
    or an oldish Saab, they crash very well.

13. lol'd

why would you even plan to be crashing....

14. #14 BlazeLE, Mar 4, 2013
    better in what way? better as in being boring as fuck? i drive chevy trucks for work and they blow... whoever designed the colorado needs to be dragged out and shot. the 240 will teach him a lot when it comes to driving and owning a car. the 240 may need to be repaired but its such an easy car to fix with a very large online community making step by step guides to doing your own repairs. it will teach op how to fix cars and how to drive. the truck will only teach him that american engineers cant design a car for shit. i helped replace a motor in a dodge dakota v6 and it was a fucking mess... you cant even get to half the bolts you need to to pull the motor... took like a week... i cant even imagine how they got the v8 in there...

a motor swap in a 240 would take like 5 hours with 2 people reading an online guide. there would be a lot of guides too.

lets also not forget about gas mileage... or the fact that if you put a 90's american car through that kind of abuse it would not still be derivable like 240's.

these are all lightly modded, similar to how i described in my first post.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyPRf_K9Gms[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iugt48Tn7Bk[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djgIDSZ53IU[/ame]

15. #15 High on blunts, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2013
    My point was buying a sports car is generally stupid for a first car most young guys think there better drivers then theu are.

And i grew up working on american cars including a 96 ram 1500 runs great to this day and if you had that much trouble working on one well im just going to assume you didnt know what you were doing because they are easy to do just about everything on.

The truck is smarter imo because he's a lot less likely to wrap it around a pole. Friend had a 240 tryed drifting it now its in his driveway totalled. Same story with a buddies camaro he bought so yea sports cars dont make good first cars.

Edit: im not saying a truck is better then a 240 all im sayin is a 240 isnt a good car for a kid to have because he will crash ot trying to drift or whatever.

16. You're getting a car in a year? Impatient much?

17. gas. mileage.

18. Much better cars then a 240 for that 2.

19. Geo Metro lol

20. Why a year? Are you just saving now?