So, how bad is the rib cage/side?

Discussion in 'Tattoo, Piercings and Body Art' started by 8ight, Feb 14, 2013.

1. This might good for some people but after 2 hours I was just ready to go full on I dont want an outline with no color so i went balls in lol. If your the type of person that thinks a lot just do it all in one sitting but if you can go in not thinking about last times pain then do that,

2. #22 Anwen, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013
    The outline for my rib piece (which covers my entire right side...but then again I'm very petite and tiny :p ) took 2 hours and 45 minutes, and was very painful. But the shading session a few months later took around 3 hours, and was excruciating. I was pushed to limits and felt pain I'd never felt before (and I used to be active in the BDSM lifestyle (am not so much anymore), and am also a masochist, so I can handle pain, but this was different pain).

The piece is beautiful, and I love it and don't regret anything, but damn....it was painful. Several times I thought about calling it quits and ending the session about halfway through, but I didn't. My artist was very impressed, as I'd had smaller tattoos done by him before (they took under an hour, so this was new ground for both of us)-he told me after he wasn't sure if I'd last through the shading session, but I did! I was a shaking, trembling, sobbing mess at the end of it -endorphins had worn off about 2 hours in- (and my best friend was very concerned, I ended up being fine and out of tattoo headspace in about 10 minutes) but it was all worth it.

Would I do it again? yes xD ;)

ETA As for what it felt like....the best way I can describe it is scalding hot razor blades (FYI: I've never burnt or cut myself or anything, but that's the closest description that comes to mind) burning and drawing/etching into your skin, other times it felt just...painful. Those who have had a rib piece done will know what I mean. It is truly a unique tattoo and experience overall.

3. I got hit by a car shattered my femur and broke my lower back and the 13 hrs in my ribs was the worst pain if my life.

4. [​IMG]

Im a pretty lean guy too. I got this one from some guy in his basement for $35 over 2 years ago. I havent gotten it touched up yet, mainly cause he went to jail a few weeks later. But the tat itself took about two hours. If I can give you any advice, don't take a break. I was fine the first hour, but then I went to go smoke a cig and take a break and it sucked when I came back. I guess my adrenaline levels dropped.

I mean, I didnt cry or anything it just started to wear on my nerves after about an hour and half, mainly cause he said it would only take 30 min hahaha.

And before anyone comments on the the quality, legibility, or anything else. The flaws in this tattoo only embrace its meaning and show its true beauty.

It reads "Aries race where angels dare not tread". I'm a Aries and I fully believe in this quote. All to often do I run head first into things and don't really think it through. This tattoo was the perfect example. I got a call one night from a friend saying he knew a guy doing tattoos for super cheap cause he was broke and asked if I knew anyone that would want one. I had been wanting this tat for a while so I jumped on the opportunity and went over straight after work.

5. ^ I think I'm even skinnier that you. :(

I'll still get it done, eventually. If I cry like a little bitch... oh well; the pain's only temporary, right? :)

6. Nooo you won't cry! If I didn't you won't for sure :p

7. For me on the ribs wasn't to bad bug once we started getting towards my stomach and on it it hurt probably the most. I actually thought the 2 says after was the worst part. To me it felt like I had bruised my robs again the first two days when ever I would move

8. Ah, I somehow missed your post on the previous page! That's actually about the same size and location as what I'd like to get. Get that shaded! It'll look amazing once it's done.

9. You will be fine dude don't worry im140 no fat and I handled it best I could it wasn't unbearable still hurt bad haha

10. I only have a small piece on my ribcage and sure it hurt but not so much more than any other piece. Don't be a girl and bite the bullet. I would advise against smoking before u get inked, I'm personally more sensitive when I'm high. If anything take some Vicodin or something....

11. My first tattoo I ever got was on my rib cage. It's pretty small, but I went into it expecting it to be super painful. There was some discomfort when the tattoo artist got towards my boob, but it was never unbearable. I'd give it like a 4 out of 10 on a scale of discomfort.

12. I can advise you only anesthetizing, it is the only thing to do[​IMG] Or to suffer from pain because a tattoo on ribs it is really sick

13. I find I'm more sensitive as well when I'm high. I used to get stoned before the dentist but I think it made it worse. I suggest suckers, book on tape, music or a podcast. Talking to someone helps too. Find someone who's been doing it for years. Experience will make it quicker and they'll know how to make it more comfortable as they've experienced nervous before. It's normal to cry. Find a female artist if you're worried about judgment.

14. I have just returned from the tattooists about an hour ago after a rib tattoo. Having tattoos on my collar bone (ouch) and both upper and lower arms, I decided it was time I finally take the plunge on the ribs/side tattoo I have been dreaming of. Booked myself in for 5 hours, lasted and lasted 3.5 hours.

I knew it was going to hurt, maybe an 8/10 where the collar bone was a 7 and the arms a 4. An 8 for the outline was correct. The shading was definitely a 10. 3 hours in and my endorphins wore off, and the pain jumped up to a 15!
    I tried it all, biting my tongue, my arm, my lips, reading (couldn't concentrate on the words) and even attempting to sleep (haha fat chance). I was shaking, and feeling cold all over and ready to vomit. The tattooist brought me a cup of sugary tea (so very English!) which helped alleviate the shaking. I was therefore ready to continue the onslaught. The second the needle touched me again, I knew it was game over. I then had the crushing reality hit home that I had to throw in the towel and ask the tattooist if it's ok he stop tattooing me. I was so worried he would say no (not that he would or even could but I was delirious by this point). He said it was ok to stop as everyone reaches the absolute threshold at some stage and it's impossible to push past. I have never felt so relieved in my life, as he put some cool cream on (felt like heaven) and bandaged me up.

I appreciate everyone has different pain tolerances but for me personally, this was the most painful thing I have ever experienced and had I known it was to be this bad, I would think twice about having it done. The design is exactly what I want and I am 100% happy with it but I'm now terrified about going back to have it completed, which it needs as it is noticeably incomplete.

I'm also now dreading giving it a good clean, as it feels red raw and is throbbing like crazy. Oh woe is me!

15. Yeah the ribcage is definitely not a picnic by any means...My first rib cage tattoo went up the right side of my back, my entire rib cage and onto my stomach a little (really awesome Koi piece) and it ended up being 6 sittings and 24 hours total...It is definitely some of the worst pain I have been in and tattoos I have on my back and arm don't remotely compare to the pain but it was worth it in the end.

You would think I would have learned my lesson after the first rib tattoo, but I ended up getting another one that took about 8 hours total on my left ribcage/bottom of my heart as a memorial tattoo for when my mom passed away this last year, but I used that pain to help get through the grieving.

16. This was 8 hours total. Parts of it hurt like a mad man. Most of the other time my side hurt from laying in an awkward way. Old school Gill Elvgren pinup with some Halloween and Michael Myers flair.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hey guys, just wanted to thank you all, I was super scared to get my tattoo a couple weeks ago on my rib...it was my first tattoo and I thought it was gonna hurt so bad and you guys eased my anxiety! Then I went in, and even though mine only took about 45 minutes it was all lines (which is the most painful) but it really didn't hurt that bad at all. I had a friend with me which REALLY helped to distract me from it too.
    The only time it actually hurt was once the adrenaline wore off and I got really annoyed with this needle poking me and hurting me over and over..

18. I personally disagree that lines are most painful, the worst part of each of my rib tattoos (one a 24 hour piece the other an 8 hour piece) was by far the shading, just all those needles grinding right over bones. The outline for me was actually not too bad.

19. i have both my sides done. the upper side ribs is virtually painless (at least to me) and the lower part of the side, under the ribs, is slightly painful but not too bad.

20. Oh my gosh I'm totally freakin out about getting my first rib tat! I have 8 others (hips, back, inner ankle, calf...the calf hurt the worst). I'm 5'6", 110lbs. And now I'm reading that some people cry thru it, some never even get it finished, and some say it's not that bad. I have no idea what to expect! I'm ascared!

• Like Like x 1