Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

weed is the gateway drug?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by El Chapo, Feb 8, 2013.

1. gateway to the pussy

2. The gateway to an altered state for me was spinning around in a swivel chair when I was about 5yo...liked the feeling of being dizzy....and here I am...

3. #43 Storm Crow, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2013
    You know, the "Gateway Theory" has been SO disproven so thoroughly that it is getting hard to find studies on it? :laughing: After about 2006, the actual studies become fewer and fewer! Didn't even find one for 2011!

Alcohol as a Gateway Drug: A Study of US 12th Graders (abst – 2012)
    [FONT=&quot]Alcohol as a Gateway Drug: A Study of US 12th Graders - Kirby - 2012 - Journal of School Health - Wiley Online Library

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Evaluating the drug use "gateway" theory using cross-national data: Consistency and associations of the order of initiation of drug use among participants in the WHO World Mental Health Surveys. (full - 2010) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Evaluating the drug use[/FONT]

CLAIM #13:MARIJUANA IS A "GATEWAY" TO THE USE OF OTHER DRUGS (news - 2009) Erowid Cannabis Vault : Exposing Marijuana Myths

Adolescent Exposure to Chronic Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Blocks Opiate Dependence in Maternally Deprived Rats (full - 2009) Neuropsychopharmacology - Adolescent Exposure to Chronic Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Blocks Opiate Dependence in Maternally Deprived Rats

No 'Smoking' Gun: Research Indicates Teen Marijuana Use Does Not Predict Drug, Alcohol Abuse (news - 2006) No 'Smoking' Gun: Research Indicates Teen Marijuana Use Does Not Predict Drug, Alcohol Abuse

Gateway To Nowhere? The Evidence That Pot Doesn't Lead To Heroin (news - 2006)
    Gateway To Nowhere? The Evidence That Pot Doesn't Lead To Heroin: The Hempire - [cannabis, hemp]

Study of 4000 indicates marijuana discourages use of hard drugs. (news – 2008)
    [FONT=&quot]Study of 4000 indicates marijuana discourages use of hard drugs.[/FONT]

Reassessing the gateway effect (full - 2002)
    http://www.ukcia.org/research/ReassessingGatewayEffect.pdf

Twin study fails to prove 'gateway' hypothesis (letter - 2003)
    http://www.ukcia.org/research/EscalationOfDrugUse/TwinStudyFailsToProveGateway.html

Is cannabis a stepping-stone for cocaine? (abst – 2003) Is cannabis a stepping-stone for cocaine? [J Health Econ. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI

The Myth of Marijuana's Gateway Effect (news - undated)
    The Myth of Marijuana's Gateway Effect

Marijuana And The Gateway Theory (full - 1996) Marijuana And The Gateway Theory

Cannabis Use- A Gateway to other Drugs? The Case of Amsterdam (full - 1997)
    http://www.cedro-uva.org/lib/cohen.cannabis.pdf

Does cannabis lead to taking other drugs? (faq - 1998)
    Does cannabis lead to taking other drugs?

Start reading and educate yourself! You might even send me an email (bottom of my sig) so you can read the rest of what I have on the "Gateway Myth"!

Granny :wave:

4. This:wave:

Weed is not a 'gateway drug', but as long as we have to keep buying from dealers, people WILL have other drugs offered. Say some guys are looking for weed before a party, dealer doesn't have any good weed but he tells them he's got these amazing *****. Obviously not everyone would accept the offer, but I've seen it happen.

It's not the weed that's the gateway, it's the dealers. I don't get people who see it the other way round:confused_2:

5. i have never once said hey i think im gonna do coke today so no

6. I first drank, then cigs then weed. The tender age of 14. It's been 10 years since then and I've tried everything under the sun. However I quit everything including alcohol and I only smoke now. Trying to quit cigs however

7. ^Good luck with the cigarette quitting. It's no joke, I've tried kicking it before. I haven't actually smoked a cigarette in almost a month. But I still need to smoke a small mixed bowl once and a while to keep the cravings down. Heaps better than smoking cigs I suppose. Still trying to quit completely!

8. whats a troll?

9. I can agree with the theory that says that's marijuana smokers are introduced to other harder drugs because their dealer offers it to them. If MJ were legal and there was no use for a dealer middleman then there would be less exposure to harder drugs. No one wakes up and decides to try something without influence and who's a better influence than a supplier of a drug

10. #50 Zera, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2013
    This.

If you smoke because you like how it feels, and not really to hide/distract yourself from your life, or as an escape, not to get "fucked up, then it won't be a gateway drug for you, because there's nowhere else you'd want to go from there. I've been offered other, harder things, but since that's not what I want, that's not what I get.

If you want to get fucked up, then there's a good chance you'll want to try something more, or you'll consider it if someone offers, or a dealer tries to sell you on it.

Pesonally, I'm not looking for that. I smoke recreationally, and because it makes the thnigs I already enjoy better, as well as making my chores more fun. It sometimes even helps me to focus on my homework, study effectively, and get stuff like cleaning up and doing laundry done, because it makes those activities more entertaining. It puts me in a good mood, and makes the cold more tolerable. I'm not looking to get fucked up and be nonfunctional, or in a completely altered state of mind, or escape from myself. For me it's more a little treat I give myself. The herb is a garnish on my life, so to speak, not a main part of it.

But I know people who use it for escape, and people whove thought "they said weed was bad, and that was a lie, so therefore the bad things they said about X and Y must have been lies too." which isn't necescarily true. It's all in what kind of person you are, and what you want.

11. Id say alcohol and tobacco are more of a 'gateway drug' than marijuana.

12. No.... How is weed a gateway drug if it was like the 4th thing I tried

13. I think alcohol is more of a gateway drug than weed, but thats only because I drank before I smoked weed for the first time. IMO weed is not a gateway drug unless it is laced with a substance that actually is a gateway drug.

14. How many troll threads u gonna make OP??v

15. The term gateway drug makes no sense.

Childerns tylenol was probably the first drug I consumed. Since this happened prior to me using illegal drugs does that mean it opened the gateway to the qorld of drugs?

16. If u think its a gateway drug, ur a fukin pussy

17. I think wee is a gateway drug to an extent. Hear me out. I dont have a need to do coke or heroin or shit like that, but i am curious to try other unmentionables. I think weed has enlightened me that not all drugs are bad. I am wantin to experiment with other things now. I think weed has helped me to see that, not driven me down a road

18. THIS lol im glad i found this post cause i was about to say literally what you posted.

19. fuck's sake dude

20. Weed is a gateway drug because its illegal, meaning there is access to harder drugs