New grow - how far away should lights be?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by themadmanc, Feb 4, 2013.

1. hey all,

Got my seeds in the mail a few days ago (nirvana seeds) & started off my mother plant, currently she's sitting 1/2 '' deep in some quality soil waiting to stick her neck out.

I'm wondering, when she does, how far away do I have my light from her?
    The get up I've got for it in seedling stage is a Phillips 80Watt Fluro lamp built in ballast CFL. Pretty chuffed with the stand I picked up for it too... was walking past a homewares store that was closing down & they were selling everything, incl. fixtures and fittings so I grabbed some shop shelving for $20. Got storage room for my equipment, and can change the shelf height real easy. All I have to do is give it a front and back to stop the light escaping. ** Tip ... I've heard for sale signs are real good to use for reflecting the light down, its panda stuff? I'll give it a go anyway :)
    ps, the plants you see on the pic at the moment are just a bit of testing I'm doing at the moment with other plants. Ive got tomatoes, corn, grape, blueberries & lemon tree, all trying to see if they'll clone using a small bubble bucket. So far I've had great success with basil & mint & corn.

Cheers all

Attached Files:

2. A few inches away. Place your hand palm down at the height of the plant and lower the light till the top of your hand feels gently warm. Put a small fan on it to be able to lower the light to as close as possible.

4th grow(Apprentice) - BC Big Bud 1200w

3. Thanks man! Do you know what temp I'm aiming to have it at?

4. You're welcome. 75*

4th grow(Apprentice) - BC Big Bud 1200w