Post those SCROG screens

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by uneek, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Howdy folks,

Figured I'd throw my screen into the mix- these four ladies were flipped to flower on the 1st (a week ago)

The screen is PVC with machine screws and fishing line, as many of you have mentioned before. It hangs by cheap chain from Lowe's. Thanks for all the inspiration from these gorgeous screens by the way!

Attached Files:

2. Careful with that fishing line dude, the thinner ones will cut right through a stem. BTW im in SF too and we will be harvesting around the same time(12/12 in 6 days), maybe we should trade a few different half oz :) I got girl scout cookies, god bud, purple diesel, and blackberry kush going.

• Like Like x 1
  3. #23 JumboGarlic, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2013
    Sorry 'bout not replying sooner Ganjas Majoris, the bad weather screwed up my web access. I was going through internet withdrawals, thankfully I had some Jack the Ripper to keep me occupied. In reference to my modular scrog illustration, I'm a graphic artist, I made the illustration in Corel Draw, it's a great program for vector-based artwork. The little flags are attached to corks that float up and down which lets me know at a glance how much water is in my earth bucket resevoirs. When the flags go down, I move the cap(from MoutainDew bottle) with the flag sticking through it to the side and stick my watering bucket's thin spout into the pipe and fill to the proper level, if I over-fill a little, it doesn't cause any problems 'cause the air-stones keep everything aerated, as well as keeping any nutrients from settling. I had made the line drawings for a couple of friends who wanted to try using the same gear. I made them an "instruction manual". lol. Oh, and when it's time to flush my "ModularScrog" all I have to do is pop the cork lodged in the bottom port.

Attached Files:

4. very nifty idea

5. #25 JumboGarlic, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2013
    Thanks uneek, I see where you had a question 'bout distance between container and screen-frame. Did you see my reply earlier in this thread with the pictures of my set-up? The distance of mine is 3.5 inches. So I don't think it matters how short it is. I get about a quarter pound from each plant and Jack the Ripper in the pictures is not a big producer. I think I could get more once I get my organic soil nutes dialed-in. I'm growing Agent Orange from TGA and an old strain called 420 from VISC, so I'm hoping for more weight this time.

6. Awesome thread. I am going to try a scrog for the first time this grow! I'll shoot some pics once everything is set up

7. Highly recommended. I've been doin' it for a few years now along with my earth bucket(self-watering pot) and this year, totally organic soil. I've found that the modular scrog(each pot has it's own screen) is the easiest system for my needs. Everything's easy to maintain and forgiving of screw-ups.

8. Yeah I read through the whole thread. A lot of useful information! I have some space issues so I'm not sure if I'll do modular, probably just standard one big screen

9. I'm on my first grow, using a scrog, and I absolutely love it. High-ly recommended :p

10. Just don't use 1 inch chicken wire! Use 2 inch if you have to use chicken wire at all. The chicken wire is a pain to get separated from the bud without getting resin all over the wire. A string or insulated wire grid is not that hard to make. If you use string, make sure it's not jute or strings with lint that comes off easy. You'll have it all in your buds. Also, cannabis can take some abuse, so don't worry 'bout bending them too much, I've accidentally folded over stems that had huge colas while trying to train them. I mean the bud went from straight up, pointing to the ceiling to pointing at the ground and all I did was straighten it out and wired it to a stake for support. It never lost its vigor, not a single leaf drooped, and the bud kept on growing new flowers and fattened right up with the rest of the buds. If anything weed seems to grow better with a little bending. lol

11. Thanks for the info. Yeah I've been working with FIM and bending so I'm used to handling plants luckily haha I've had the same issue with it bending completely over but like you said stake it up and it's usually okay.

12. I don't find it hard to get a metal screen out of the bud. you just snip all the buds off and the whole screen just lifts off the rest of the plant. the problem with cord screens is they aren't rigid and the plants pull it all over the place. metal screens are much better in my opinion. I have always used 1" screens and have had no problems but next time I put one together I may try a 2" screen

13. I used to use chicken wire for my grows, but I developed a different way of making my frames and "screens" that is much easier to manage come harvest time. I only have six, 12 inch rigid wires to slide out. I wash and reuse all the parts of my containers and screens. Check out my pictures in the 4th post in this thread.

14. You guys are getting me so excited to set mine up! I can't freakin wait!! :anxious:

15. that was the general idea :D

16. Can you explain in more detail on how those buckets work. I got the supplies for it. Just want to understand the design fully before constucting it. Thanks in advanced

17. Here's where I got the inspiration for mine, a little different, I made some modifications to make mine more suitable to my situation. His are bigger, which is probably better for bigger plants. I also put my fill port on the outer front of the reservoir bucket. My first couple had the fill tube going down through the soil bucket. These worked fine, but my tweaks fit my situation better, especially when it comes to flushing, which is something he probably doesn't have to worry about. His are great though, check em out.http://earthtainer.org/Home_Page.html

18. #38 JumboGarlic, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
    My scrog frames are just made from some leftover wooden slats I found at work, along with insulated, rigid, copper wire about the diameter of a coat-hanger. I suppose you could use coat-hangers, I'd use the vinyl coated, that thin, green coating on the metal ones flakes off too easy. I used thicker, 1/4 inch copper wire for the sliding support bars on each side of the screen.

Here's some recent photos.

Attached Files:

19. ^^ love your re-use of things! I have SIPs like yours in a 2 gal bucket, wanna try scrog next run. Yours are a great idea to run on the bucket itself

20. Thanks for the info

• Like Like x 1