Aerogarden ultra - how will this garden grow?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by JennaNola, Jan 18, 2013.

1. And the 2 leaves r curling is this normal ??

2. If you're talking about the first two leaves to pop out, those are called "cotyedons" in the plant world. For them to curl, turn yellowish, or even die off, especially after your first pair of "true leaves" appear is perfectly normal.

You might want to look through some of the other threads on starting propagation for more detail. Good luck, bro!

3. #43 Newbt, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013

If you're talking about the cotyledon, they curl a little from all I've see(sorta like a sideways "c") . I thought you were talking about your 1st set of true leaves.

Ha ha Jenn beat me to it, :)

Any pics coming soon Jenn?

4. Thanks for the info. I will keep in touch

5. :hello: welcome back, Newbt!

I shoulda taken ones before and after they got their "haircut", but I was in too much of a hurry! I'll snap some soon - the nutes are the first switch, then I'll add more light in a couple days.

6. Good to hear I'll be turning on the nutes this week also after the reservoir change. :smoking:

7. A quick photo update while I move the veggie seedlings around in the AG. They look almost like they're dancing! They go back into opposite corners, but in case I wander off in the garden doing something else, I keep them in the AG whilst I figure out what I want to do. Sorta like never leaving a hot pan.

image-932088621.jpg

8. A reminder to all the people hatin' about how I don't have enough light:

The least expensive way to get more brightness AND more efficiency is....clean your bulbs and reflectors.

Next is hanging side reflectors so fewer photons escape.

9. Your girls look really good to me, they are not stretching like I've seen in older Aerogarden threads. Mine on the other hand have been thru the ringer this week:eek:

10. Some of it is the variety, I think, but the new model does seem to be built for this. The ads even say things like "stronger light/longer stretch arm/custom timer" which are the chief complaints of growers here on older models. They can't come right out and SAY that's what they're intending this model for, buuuuuuuut.

11. Took down a wedge of growth today as a clone to see if I can sex one of the NYCD properly. I've been trimming the other back here and there and she looks just like the world's cutest christmas tree. The autoflower (control test of sorts) I've mostly let alone, as she's not gaining nearly the height of the two NYCD plants. A bit concerned over the roots, I moved the seedlings for my veggie plants outside to harden off, and I have another AG (the old version, got at a garage sale for a song) in case the root systems start tangling.

As luck would have it, a friend of mine has a grow room too, he just has no idea what to do with plants, so, that's my backup backup plan. I work from home, so I like to use that advantage to keep close tabs on my plants.

Headed off to the farmer's market in a few to set up and sell my first cut flowers and snap peas! Omnomnomnom.

Oh, and potted up a tuberose, I wonder how the two scents would smell together. Like a fancy stoner lady, I'd imagine!

12. Good to hear, how tall are the NYC, will you be switching them to flower when your auto starts flowering or keep them vegging until she's done?

13. The NYC are about 4 inches tall, with a crazy-amazing root system. I'll probably shift them all to flower at the same time, just to keep things simple.

14. #54 digdug, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2013
    You should try the nutes the ultra comes with. My berry bomb is huge and healthy after38 days. Planning on flowering next week

15. Ugh, filled the AG too full, and shorted out the electric. Drying all the components now, and keeping my shop lights on the plants. One is kicking out flowers with beautiful stamens, I'm fascinated!

16. Hi all. New here:wave:
    Nice to see y'all having fun and success w/ the much maligned Aerogarden. :)
    I've been lurking off the grid for awhile, reading up on all that is Aerogarden.
    An "Acquaintance" of mine grew a few plant's in soil last season and cloned a few cuttings in a 7 station Aerogarden. They used Unidentified Bag seed!
    Supposedly put one in the AG as clone in early Jan.
    On a recent visit I was impressed on how nice the one they kept was doing.
    They used a 3 part liquid nute sys not associated w/ AG all the way through.
    Started flower stage ~ Feb 10th
    They have the std AG lights along w/ 4 ea med size CFL's. All 2500K for flower
    12/12. They say it should be ready for harvest mid April.
    I'll be over to see my friends this weekend.
    Anyone interested in seeing some pic's? I can take some and post them.
    Lemme know
    Chao!:D

17. I'm new too; glad you joined the AG party. I am 14 days into a grow of 60 Day Wonder in an AG Ultra. Learning a lot on the way.

18. hello pals! Good to see the new folks here.

AG sent me a new Aerogarden, no questions asked. We also took the whole goshdarn thing apart to see what made it tick, along with an old, broken AG3. Differences were stunning - the AG3 is basically put together with glue, while the AG Elite seemed well-made. Just don't get it wet from underneath - seeping water from another project got into the electrical and shorted the whole thing out.

the plants are...sorta bounding back from a week in what was basically a glass of water, with my seedling heat mat, and under not nearly enough light. I'm giving them to a friend with a larger setup once I see if they'll pull through. In the meantime, I've started two new girls, and they're looking strong and well, with the first true leaves popping out two days ago.

19. Dropped by my "Acquaintance" abode today and requested a few pic's to show my new friends @ GC how nicely he AG grow is progressing. The model in use is an AG EXTRA. They say it still has another 6" section left to adjust the light height upwards.
    This plant is super dank. Makes your eyes water. Smells delish! Sticky and oily w/ resiny goodness! Bottom stem is as thick as my thumb. She is 20" tall as of today and she's said to gobble ~ a quart of water per day.
    IMHO these mid size to larger AG models are a great, simple platform for a small grow. So if your only in the game to grow for personal use and you aren't a heavy Mari-aholic :smoking:, don't let the AG nay sayers get you down and discourage you. Just look at these pic's for the proof in the pudding, so to speak.
    :cool: Chao!

Attached Files:

20. Looks great, Jaco55! Thanks for sharing!

Suprisingly enough, I've managed to get the two NYCD girls to pull through! Their leaves are a bit scraggly from their 2 weeks "at sea", but I pruned them back hard and hoped for the best. Imagine my surprise when I found that both are sprouting new roots, and flowering, and both are definitely ladies. The goddess smiles!

The auto AK is next to a goner, but I think I can rescue her. In the meantime, I've taken the nutrient schedule back to the bare bones, and we'll see what happens. My idea is to have the AG and my grow room be something of a nursery - I have too many nosy friends in and out to get more than one plant at a full grow, but I know lots of people who'd be happy to receive a starter plant of their own. Once I've got it to a decent height, flowering, etc, I plan to make mothers of these two NYCD and start giving away plants from there. I do that with my roses all the time, anyway!