Dr. Mengle's JJ Style Grow with Southern Star Seeds

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Dr M, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Things are on their way now!

Leave them keep growing as is. No need to do anymore but sit back and let them open and push upwards.

Exciting times ahead!

2. Hey Dr. Sorry to hear about your issues with sowing the seeds. That would be frustrating I imagine. I know most use a paper towel, but figured I would share my method as I've had a 100% success rate (all with SSS gear). Obviously sowing directly in soil is most effective, as it allows oxygen and is non invasive compared to transplanting a tapped seed...but I'm an impatient bastard with seeing them root.
    I use a child's sandwich plastic container...it's breathable and doesn't seal out oxygen like Tupperware. Get a couple sponges (wet them and microwave them for 2 min to disinfect) then wet them with warm distilled water. I place the seeds between the two sponges which keeps them in the dark and moist. It's important to keep the container warm too...I've done this by letting it float in my tropical fish tank, simply under the lights in my tent, and once let it float in my hot tub. You just need to check it to make sure the sponges are lightly moist...spray bottle works here. I've had all my seeds push a tap in +/- 24 hrs using this method.
    Sounds like you got things going with the GG's! Looking forward to seeing how things go with them!

3. It sounds good. Another way you can screw it up is putting the seeds in too deep. You don't have to be exact but don't put them in over a half inch deep. I can't think of any other reason for seed starting failure. There are lots of ways to do it right, but not many to do it wrong. When you rule out the wrong ways you will have no further problems.

4. thanx guys i'm still sweatin' it...standby ! thass what test pilots say on the blk bx tape just before they hit the ground..."STAND BY!'..lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'll watch this one.

6. omg! Ozzie too!! da pressure..da pressure ! wellcome Oz..gulp!

7. :wave:

No pressure.

8. G'day to all..well we are stalled big time.seeds are just not happening at all so let's get into this,..my germ history has been poor me or product? I had to go back and read my other thread from the start to get a perspective..i had forgotten much..
    Before i got into my current 0-68 slump i wasn't doing all that bad germing..for my grow which is perpetual i can get one plnt go thru cloning up to a c-4 over a year before i get bored and start the cycle again..

Last seed i did this with was Big Bang from Sweet Seeds out of Spain which now only available as a auto..too bad..the BB germed explosively so i know what to expect from a really good seed germing..vigor from the start

I first went with a mix pk from Mr.Nice..Dreamtime..1 of the seeds looked cracked when i got it and they had poor pkging imo and i felt they were ''old'' stock..i waited 5 mos to drop them..they all cracked but nothing more..no tap..
    Friend sent me a lot of seeds from nocal in a baggie that look like crap but good to play with to chk temps out doing different warmth techniques in different spots from the k-haus , cable bx, top of receiver left on

I did postmortem on the 5 GGA..they never put a tap out after cracking and going in jiffy starter cube...24hr presoak distilled wtr all into presoaked dirt starter cube after appearing to crack..11 days nothing..taught i saw a puddy kat' root..was optical illusion..put all the seeds in shot glass to check absorbtion..4 went to the bottom and were '' sleeping with the fishes'' 1 floated and emitted a tiny little bubble...hmmm? think i'm going medieval on that one..papr twl ontop receiver..FRANKENSTEIN?

I drpped 3 more GGA and they've been papr twled since yesterday between two plates on top cable bx ala D.Norris ( hope you feel betta' sista) Hortila,JJ, MarkyM...i'm standing by but it's not looking good this morn.. i have two seeds left

JJ on reloaded has pointed out several things i'd have to agree with about mixed seed packs..freebies..and vigor rates expected for germination and sucess rates..now i can't afford nor do i have space to have a suceesful germination of 10 seeds at one time when i only have space for 4 max so i try to get 5 pks...i wish i could hoard like y'all but i'm on fixed income and i'm not willing to blow 1/2 harvest profit on seed when i only need ONE sucessful female..
    You read the other thread you know what i can do with just one crap bagger give me some genetics and i'll really show you something so i'm feelin at a loss today for any adequate explanations..

My expectations were low on germ rates so i stepped up and got a 10pk 1st time ever..how could i not for $70 USD! idk..idk? the cab build is going very well so far..pics on that next time..the seed part has crashed and is burning

Attached Files:

9. So weird! Well we are what 24 hours in on this last batch you have in papertowels on the cable box? I'm really leaning toward an issue with the h20. Keep us posted :)

68 failed to germ? Wowser that's a lot of money down the tubes!!!

10. the 60 were free..the 8 plus are not and my gro partner for summer outdoor grow paid half..thass what us old farts on social security do to stretch $ and resources..i do the development during winter and come summer she does the c-2 clones outside that i have developed during my winter grow..so it's money yes but the time loss is getting serious as these are the cool months when you need to max your indoor grow to take advantage of lower temps here in socal..i need to two harvests in..my current and one more thus the 3 chmbr at once thing to maximize winter harvest

11. Dr I've got some GG's I will drop 5 today and we'll see what happens. I don't know about your cable box but mine is only suitable for rapid dry of bud. It cooks. I've always germinated using paper towel rung out folded in 4 with seeds in between then placed in a sealed ziplock on a shelf in the kitchen or in top of the aquarium.

12. FickySis i'm using two thick dinner plates that buffer the heat nicely imo not thatoverly warm checked with pointatemp meter previously in pretesting..appreciate you expermintin' greatly...i also use my aquarium to germ seeds maybe i shouldn't have chng'd up..i'm Frankensteining in there with the 5 before i toss them

13. Are you SURE that place you are putting your seeds in the plates isn't too warm? Are you SURE you are not drowning your seeds? I hate to go on about this, but 0/68 means you are doing something wrong that you think you are doing right. Even though those 60 seeds were probably left in someone's car and got roasted, that still leaves you 0 for 8 and that's impossible to do unless something you are doing is wrong. Go back and double check everything until you discover what's going on that you are not seeing. These are just plants and they have to follow the rules. Bad luck has nothing to do with this.

14. If you have any issues with the newly started seeds, replacements will be sent out for another try. Plus something else to try.

Its all good, just maybe no presoaking just straight onto paper towel or into dirt?

15. I thought preloading was a great idea, but when I used this method I get roughly 33% germ rate.

I used paper towel for the rest of my plants. And only had two dormant ones, out of 14.
    I would say,use paper towel for 24hrs, then just plant me man

Make sure whatever you plant them in, stay warm too. They like the warmth until their roots develop

16. Ilakuff what temp you think is good between what and what? you may have point about too warm ..used my point a temp to check temp ... bottom WAS a little too hot imo now using two plates on bottom..checked temp in k-haus tank 88 seems good..and Ilk i did take your suggestions first time but i don't mind triple checking i like a good mystery..in a movie..lol!

Ronnie G you have lifted my spirits i was in the dumps but i'm feelin much better knownin you got my back..it ain't over yet! got two left i'll do as you suggest ..no presoak direct to wet papr twl..see how these 3 do next 24 hrs first

17. So you're just stickin with callin him "ronnie" :poke: :confused_2: :laughing:

18. I was wondering who the fuck is ronnie? 5 GG'S down.

19. Hey doc maybe there getting a little too hot where you've got them sitting ?
    I run the same method with the paper towel plate and a plastic bowl over the top of em with plain tap water and they always crack no dramas I have it sitting on a shelf in a cupboard above a stereo too and it's only juuuuuuust warm .
    I've had 100% germ rate with 4 strains from SSS too but none of them where gg allin
    Hope you manage to get the gg's cranking man looking forward to seeing them in action

20. Reggie you surely are repping SSS in an awesome way ;) people would be fools not to want to purchase from there!

Lol too funny!!

It's too bad nobody lives close to Mengle to help a brother out!! Where do you live my fine friend?