Widow Grow from Clone to Harvest

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by dlpjr, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Picked four of the plants I will be putting in the 5 gallon buckets. Still need one more. I will be moving the plants to the buckets in a week or so. The all show a little nute burn on the older leaves. New growth looks fine. I lowered the ppm it was up to 759, lowered to 525, that might be a little high. Like I said the new growth looks good, will wait and see.

ForumRunner_20130119_084443.png

ForumRunner_20130119_084552.png

ForumRunner_20130119_084645.png

ForumRunner_20130119_084736.png

2. They look just like my white rhino :D

3. Ya... same family rigjt? I am a little disappointed in myself burning them like that, but the new growth is healthy.

4. What's your ph? They look good dude.

I don't like PPM because everyone has all these different EC conversions so 1400ppm for one member is 1000ppm for another member.. I just stick to EC.

Shame about the tip burn, that sounds a little aggressive for clones this young, but you picked up on it before it got too bad. Just snip off the burnt tips they'll look good as new.

5. The ph moves from 5.8 to 6.2, There are some spikes to 7, its hard to maintain any consistency in such a small 2 gallon set up like that. I check it twice sometimes three times a day. Ya.. I am looking to upgrade my meters. I am trying to find a ph meter with a couple of probes on it that I can leave in the buckets. Then have a monitor to take the readings. That won't cost an arm and a leg.

6. #46 passthebilly, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013
    [​IMG]

You need to keep it under 6.0! Let it swing around 5.5-5.9. If you want to grow successfully you'll need to get a much larger reservoir, and change the soup out more often. Invest in a good ph meter, don't buy cheap crappy ph meters that are not actually waterproof. If you don't want to add weeks to your grow time and lower your yields then you need to take the ph seriously and check ph every day.

Your clones look just like my seedlings :smoking: When I watered them, the ph was 5.8, EC 0.6, and I just ramped it up to 1.0 EC after the photo. You dropped yours from about 1.0EC-0.75EC, and that tip burn probably wouldn't have happened if the ph wasn't locking out your nutrients.
    [​IMG]

7. #47 dlpjr, Jan 20, 2013
    I hear ya... these plants do fine in the 5.8-6.2 range. I have been growing these for a couple years. Once these plants develope a larger root mass, maybe next week they will be moved to there final home in the 5 five gallon bucket system with a ten gallon tote used as a res. Got to agree with you on the ph, just looking to up grade my older meters. I calibrate them twice a week and they are always on the money. I am looking for something more advanced, like a wall mounted unit, with a couple probes. Would be nice to have five probes one in each bucket.
    You might be right about the tip burn, but it happened when the plants were much smaller. The photos are of them after running the lower ppm, for a week or so. You really let you ph swing to 5.5 how long do you keep it there? Your locking out a lot of nutes at 5.5 arnt you.

8. Sounds like a decent ph meter then :) I don't worry about calibrating much.. it takes months before I even notice a .1 inaccuracy on my $40 ebay meter. I used to be lazy but I burnt all my leaves in my first grow, now I check it every day.

9. Just made an edit to my post. I was wondering about your 5.5 ph swing. I always thought about letting it get that low. How long do you leave it a 5.5? Your locking out alot of nutes at 5.5., but your are getting some your not getting at 5.8. That's where i believe you are gaining the best nute intake, at 5.8.

10. #50 passthebilly, Jan 20, 2013
    Yeah, it just buys me a little more time before the ph gets too high again.. my ph in my 4x30L flowering reservoirs climbs 0.3 per day, the 13 plants drink all the soup up in like half a week. 5.5 or even 5.3 is a better alternative than 6.0.

11. I got ya. Once i move the plants i will do just that. Its to hard now as i adjust down everyday. You have an established number of .3 gain per day, my numbers jump 5.8-6.2 in 24 hours. I just put up with the extra work, as i don't like mixing up 30 gallons of nutes to feed a couple of tap roots. I will grow them to 7-8 nodes in this small dwc before i move them.

12. There coming along now..:)yep atleast u picked up the burn early..should start seeing some good growth..BTW I only use my phone and pics come straight up...

13. Welcome back.... All I use is this sites app, its great. Your right it won't be long until they take off. I need to get busy putting my buckets together. I am really thinking about doing a scrog, never did one before, but have always wanted to. Any thoughts on that, anyone. I would need some assistance.

14. I def think scrog is the go if you have smaller space or for 1plant in scrog it can produce what u can off 3-4 plants.Ive been reading up and I don't think it's to much harder and seeing u don't mind spending the time tending your girls it would def be a fun challenge.There are a couple good scrog growers on here so it's not hard getting the info you need,I'll check my threads and find some good guys who don't mind sharing I've got a couple I follow.Hope it helps..

15. Ya I agree with you on the scrog about yields. I have been reading about them for awhile now. The only thing I don't really understand is the defoilation of the lower leaves below the screen. I have never got a good answer about when you start cutting the leaves. I understand why you do it, just don't know when you start cutting them. I have seen threads where it looks like they cut everything below the screen, seen others where they only cut fans below the screen. I am concerned about cutting leaves off my plants. I did an experiment with 2 plants last year 1 plant I started cutting fans of it to get more light to the bud sites. The other I grew as I always do a little training here and there, but no cutting. The defoilated plant straight out died on me. I wonder if certain strains just don't grow well when you start cutting leaves off it.

16. With scrog it's the same really if you don't have to cut it don't,obvious u train a little,tip untill it reaches the screen,that's the key,knowing how much your strain stretches,once screen starts filling in you just slowly take off what's below the canapy,I suppose what's not getting light and what is in the way of a bud site ,the idea is to concentrate on having one even canapy all colas,

17. Ya I think I will give it a try. Will get the screen material this week. I just reread a sticky in the advanced growing section. Good read by the way, lots of good information. I am sure we will get threw it.

18. Got some work done in the grow tent today. I put the buckets and the feeding res together, and sure enough a leak. I guess all the moving and hiding over the holidays has taken its toll. The left rear bucket has a two inch crack in it.

ForumRunner_20130121_193110.png

This one note the wet towels in the photo. I wanted to redo the mylar anyway, so I guess no big deal. Just one more thing to get done.
    I installed the small exhaust fan sucking fresh air from the attic into the tent. I only do this in the winter as it gets stuffy with all the windows closed. It has to help some. The temps are down 5 and it has to provide some fresh co2 to the plants.

ForumRunner_20130121_194105.png

ForumRunner_20130121_194302.png

I have it running into the lower left corner of the tent.

ForumRunner_20130121_194456.png

Out the tent and into the attic. There is a furnace filter, that you can't see, attached to the top of the 8 inch duct work on the left. I don't want all that shit in the attic floating around the tent. The duct on the right is exhausting the hot air from the lights to the attic. Some people will freak about this next photo. I never have used a carbon filter, I use the small ozone generator. This thing works I have never had a problem with any smells in my house. This is no bullshit.. I have had two cops standind ten feet from 5 plants in full flower, not a word. That was last summer, and I am still here. They were looking for my daughters friend. I wouldn't recommend this test for anyone, I was shitting my pants.

ForumRunner_20130121_200106.png

ForumRunner_20130121_200214.png

I have duct tape on it to cover a light, as I used to put it in the tent, and didn't want to take the chance of f up the 12/12 dark cycle.

That's about all the work I got done today. Here are a few pic taken an hour ago of the plants.

ForumRunner_20130121_200805.png

ForumRunner_20130121_200826.png

ForumRunner_20130121_200908.png

ForumRunner_20130121_201152.png

Will get the new bucket this week so I can put that all back together, and check that off the list of shit to do.

19. Got the new bucket installed, leaked checked it for 24 hours, good to go. Connected the feeding res. So the buckets and feeding tank are finally good to go. This weekends plan is to cover the buckets, making them light proof, and building the scrog screen. Just reread a sticky in the advanced growing section on this site reguarding scrogs, so I think I understand what's going on. Ordered more nutes from Amazon, they will be here tuesday. That will be the day I move the plant to the buckets. Here is a photo of plant number 5. There is about 2 inches of new growth, and new branches are forming.

ForumRunner_20130125_101958.png

ForumRunner_20130125_101846.png

The ppm is 459 and I am letting the ph swing from 5.2 to 6.0. It takes about 48 hours for this to happen.

I use technaflora bc boost, bc grow, thrive alive b-1 red, magical, and sugar daddy. Just ran out of the bc boost, the micro. So the solution is lacking the boost. Should be ok until tuesday. Will update when the screen is being built. I will be asking for help as I think I know what to do but....you never know.

20. More photo's of the plants and the root mass.

ForumRunner_20130125_162709.png

ForumRunner_20130125_162804.png

ForumRunner_20130125_162910.png

About 2 weeks after the clones took root. Clones taken Dec 24, Started them on Jan 6 in this small dwc.