Unpopular opinions.

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by .AcidTrip., Dec 18, 2012.

1. I agree, I really liked cars when they had mechanical point ignition systems that had to be serviced every 2000 miles and stalled when you went thru a puddle, and spark plugs that were replaced every 4000 miles. Oh, and carburetors that were adjustable that puked fuel into your cylinders and burned up the rings. Lest I forget most of the V8s got about 8 to 10 mpg, and when you got to 75,000 miles it was time for a new car, as any part of the drive train could go at any moment without warning....I liked having to grease 10 to 20 grease fittings on the front end every 1000 miles...yeah, I loved those old cars....:rolleyes:

2. @kingjacob: in this day in age idk how you can rag on fuel mileage as overrated. Thats why we have expensive gas prices and are rapidly burning through this limited resource...then again this is the unpopular opinions thread.

3. you think that cuz yer dum

4. #24 9D3, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2012
    We have expensive gas prices so they (car companies) can sell their super cheap to make piece of crap economobiles ;) why else would someone buy a new car if their old one works fine? Car makers' profits would go down because people would just continue to drive their old cars.

That just happened. Notice how gas prices have shot the fuck up recently? Car companies were laying people off because they weren't selling enough cars to employ them. How do you force people to buy new cars? Make it an expensive pain in the ass to drive their old ones. It's a win-win-win-lose situation. We're the losers.

5. Couldn't have said it better! The only thing that was way reliable about old time cars were their solid iron bodies. But if you got rear ended, youre going to be in a world of hurt; crushable carbon fiber > steel/iron any day.

6. #26 mercinariesgtr, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2012
    hmm interesting...i thought gas prices were going down recently? i remembered seeing something on the news about it, i only fill up like once every 6 weeks and have a diesel so im not real up to date on price, most of the time i dont even look and just swipe the card( only got a12 gallon tank so its never more than 45 bucks)........
    I get where your coming from with the stuff about price but gettting good mileage is good for everyone, less money, less pollutants, less foreign dependance and less depletion of a limited resource. As an environmental scientist idk how people can, in this day of age, make bold statements like "who gives a fuck about mileage". Even if you have the money that doesnt mean that you should drive a giant truck getting <10 mpg because its everyones air, earth, and fuel that your are using/abusin.

7. fuck cars i wish we rode horses still.

8. I believe the us government passed a bill saying in a certain year all new cars must average like 50 mpg or something like that. Some tell me I miss heard.

9. 54 mpg, but I can't remember the year, it's not that far away...

10. That's just insane.

11. 54 mpg by 2020? I think. But its there whole lineup has to average 54 not ever car. How it was explained to me.

12. Its 54 mpg overall with hundreds of boosters like electric cars

13. Oh god.

2020: the year the car died.

14. and the year our planet got its common sense back.

15. Everyone said the 35 mpg would ruin it but now we get a volt for every super camaro and a hybrid 3 series for every M3 which is good for me

16. They're killing off cylinders... Where the v12s at?

17. In the aventador.

18. I actually think those fiat cars aren't bad, they're just different. If everyone had cars like that we'd leave a lot less of a carbon footprint.

19. I was thinking something a little more affordable... Jaguar xjs.

[​IMG]

20. I'd rather be Rotawee than pist on