The most horrifying or disturbing book you've ever read?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by psilocyberspace, Dec 12, 2012.

1. I've been getting into Stephen King lately. At the moment i'm reading his book "Dolores Claiborne" and it's a good book. Going to read another one of his books later when i'm done with this one.

But i want to read a book that's beyond stephen king's level of horror. I want it to be really disturbing and sick. I want it to shock me.

Suggestions?

2. Stephen King's ' Desperation'
    messed me up good. Of coarse I was high while reading most of it, but still!

3. Thanks mate. My mother got many books by stephen king so i will check with her.
    I've seen the movie and i liked it.

4. There was a book I read in school titled 'Megabyte' but I can't remember the author. It was really just shocking at the time, because there was some pretty raunchy sex stuff that I did NOT expect. And it was in the Teen Reading section, so that threw me for a loop. I'm sure it would be pretty tame by today's standards.

5. Definitely check out the book House of Leaves, pretty freaky shit, mind bending etc, kind of hard to understand if you get too baked however but definitely worth the time.

6. rosario tijeras. she felt very feal

7. 120 Days of Sodom

8. 1984. It's the only book I have ever read that made me sick to my stomach.

9. times two

Made me saw the French Enlightenment in a very different way.

10. Naked Lunch by William S. Borroughs is pretty fucked. Open the book to literally any page at random and you'll immediately see what I mean lmao.

11. inb4 bible

12. The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

or, as another person said: 1984 by George Orwell.

13. It was a picture book in my dads room but there were pictures of dead children and people being set on fire

14. What the fuck is wrong with your father?

15. Lol why would he have that?

16. [quote name='"psilocyberspace"']
    Lol why would he have that?[/quote]

Idk but its an actual published book so my dad aint a murdererrererere

17. #19 Zera, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2012
    This. If you want something disturbing, than this is your fucking book right here. Naked Lunch is seriously messed up.
    Naked Lunch - Television Tropes & Idioms

Also, all the Demonata books after the third one are so horribly written and stupid as to make me sick to my stomach. The whole series is very gory and is supposed to be horror, but only the first 3 books are any good.
    The first two are awesome, both showing a kid discovering the horrible and gruesome worlds of the demons, people being tortured, and a real feeling of lives on the line and believeble fear. I would even go so far as to submit them to your list of disturbing horror. The third was okay, but not as good.

Warning: Bad literature inspired rant
    Four and on, don't fucking bother. They are the shittiest shit imaginable. The author falls in love with a dumbass blubbering useless waste of space charachter, turns everyone else into that guy's fawning fanboys and fangirls, removes the demons' teeth, and goes back one his "anyone can die" premise at the beginning (one guy "dies" like 5 times, only for us to discover he was okay after all each time). He systematically destroys everything that was good about the first books and just writes shit. He stopps doing research and writes wildly stupid fight scenes, completely abandons any sense of realisim in ANY of the charachters, and has the mother fucking plot make no sense. I'm going to make the chick whose magic power is her photographic memory forget the important plot point, because if she didn't forget, she'd do something useful, and if she did something useful, then some people might think she's better at something than the main charachter I have a crush on.
    HOW THE FUCK does a mary sue this bad get published? How the fuck does a mary sue this bad even exist?
    And I read all the way to book 11 hoping they'd get good again.

18. Definately the hellbound heart. That book was so fucking disturbing. I highly recommend you read it.