Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

OVEN TUTORIAL: Single+ serving coconut oil

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by pezlet, Dec 1, 2012.

1. #1 pezlet, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2012
    I was asked to make a tutorial on making oil in the oven (instead of stove top), so I'd like to thank anyone who's interested.
    I am using 1 gram in this tutorial. The dosage varies from person to person. I like to be in such a euphoric condition that I pass out after a few hours, but if you'd like a smaller dose, honestly this could easily get you high 3-5 times depending on your tolerance.

Materials:
    Coconut Oil
    Shot glass
    Brownie pan (optional)
    Cannabis (I use nugs, you can use whatever you want)
    Soy lecithin (optional)

materials.JPG
    nug.JPG

First, preheat your oven to 220F.
    Put your nug into the shot glass, don't add oil yet, and there's no real need to grind it up, although you can if you want. I do not.
    I put the shot glass on a glass brownie pan so it doesn't fall through the oven rack.
    This process is called decarbing, and can absolutely not be skipped.
    The amount of time that it takes to decarb will depend on how moist your nugs are, but somewhere between 15-25 minutes should be plenty. I use closer to 20 for myself.
    oven.JPG

When you're done decarbing, it should grind to dust with just your finger tips. I squeezed/grinded the nugs in between my fingers, and here's the result (if it doesn't easily fall apart to dust, throw it in the oven a little longer):
    dust.JPG

At this point, you can add the oil. I use coconut oil, as badkitty has explained that it is the best thing that you can use. Feel free to use other sorts of oils, but don't use alcohol. You're putting this in the oven, so something tells me that a shotglass full of everclear wouldn't be the brightest thing you could do. Put a nice glob of coconut oil on top of your weed dust, and then throw it back into the oven. It's hard to tell if you used enough oil until it's melted, so feel free to pull it out once it's melted to check that all the weed is covered with liquid oil.
    coconutoil.JPG

Pull the mixture out every 20 minutes or so and mix it up with a spoon (or whatever else). You'll notice that the weed-dust likes to settle at the bottom of the shot glass, so the more that you can agitate it, the better.

*FOR ADDED POTENCY (by making the mix easier for your body to absorb) If you want to, you can add soy lecithin when you pull it out of the oven to mix. I'm not sure how much to add, as I've never done it. I'm adding this note in for the sake of making a complete tutorial. See badkittysmiles' tutorials for more information on soy lecithin*

I leave the weed/oil mix in the oven for a total of about an hour and 30 minutes, but you can experiment with times.

When you pull it out, you're welcome to drink it as soon as you want. I prefer to mix it with a milkshake or make it into chocolate bars.

Tips:
    1. If you throw it in the freezer until it's fully frozen, that will help your body to digest the cannabinoids. Also, adding another 30-45 minutes in the oven (still at 220F) after allowing the mix to freeze will add potency.
    2. If you allow the mix to freeze, it will also make it easier to separate into halves (if you are trying to make the mix last 2 servings).
    3. It will probably taste better if you strain out the weed. I personally don't mind the taste, but to each their own.

IMPORTANT: Tip for ingesting: There's something called "first pass effect". Because of this, you do not want to eat the oil on a completely empty stomach. Instead, eat a small meal ~30 minutes before ingesting the oil to get the most out of your cannabis.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_pass_effect

I'd like to thank BadKittySmiles, as this is essentially just a rewritten version of one of her tutorials. I encourage anyone who's curious about details or other methods to check out her sticky.

2. If anyone has any questions, or thinks anything else should be included in the tutorial (for clarity, or if I've forgotten something altogether), please let me know.

Sorry for not posting a picture of the final product... I forgot to take one before I made the milkshake. I'll add pictures the next time around.

Thanks everybody!

3. Nice, will have to give it a try after work.

4. seems like a good tutorial. i will follow it next time

5. Forgot to mention this in tips...but if you use the oil and save the bud, you can make more oil with it. I chugged the oil (was lazy) and threw the weed + shot glass in the freezer. Put some more oil in in the morning and heated it up for an hour at 220 again (stirring occasionally) and got stoned as hell again.

Just letting everyone know hahah, I'll add it to tips later. But reuse the bud.

6. Nice, coconut oil is the best oil to use.

7. [quote name='"Crispy21"']Nice, coconut oil is the best oil to use.[/quote]

Tastes pretty good too. I should probably mention that you COULD use other oils though cause that's probably going to come up in questions...

8. It does, it comes out fragrant

9. I thought we were supposed to break the bud up so it crumbles??? I crumbled mine all up, cooked it a few times, froze it. Defrosted it, then cooked it again and froze it again and today I defrosted and cooked it again. I was gonna use the oil to put in with my brownies for Christmas but had too many desserts so I waited til today. Havent finished them yet so I dont know how it will come out. Did I ruin it by crumbling it and refreezing and cooking it too much???

10. #10 BadKittySmiles, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2012

You're spot-on, crumbling and grinding is definitely the way to go, to ensure both an even decarb and an even extraction. The oil is absolutely going to effect the external glandular material, long before the internal, when left as a whole-nug. :)

You'll also want to melt your coconut oil first and bring it up to temperature, or a portion to the majority of the initial process will be spent melting the oil, rather than performing the extraction, which also causes the external material first in direct contact with the melted oil, to be processed faster and earlier, than the internal material.

Otherwise, it's a great job, and minus those few important steps it's just like the CannaPharm oven-oil tutorial! (Which can also be used for all doses; from single-servings of oil, to gallons ;) This is why bringing the oil up to temperature beforehand, and grinding and decarbing evenly, is so essential! Whether you're working with a large, or small amount of herb, the process is the same; otherwise, you'll have material exposed to varying temperatures and, if allowed to melt during the process, oil exposure will also vary and be delayed).

Hope this helps clear things up! :wave:

11. Man, I poured this oil into my brownie mix and then licked the spoon... what a rush!

Thanks for the recipe and the rep too!

12. #12 Thirstbusta, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2013
    @BadKittySmiles @pezlet
    At what point in this recipe do incorporate the soy lecithin?

EDIT: Okay, so after I pull it out of the oven I should just mix some in? How much?

13. Mixed this with A peanut butter I made with honey mixed in. And then just mixed it all together. Made a dip for my cold apples in my fridge!!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. #14 dangar69, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Hi - new guy here.
    Necro-bumping this thread because after reading the many, MANY single serving threads, this is the method I've decided on.

Regular, daily smoker but very limited edible experience - i.e., I ate a home-made brownie 20 years ago and got a perfect all day buzz off it.
    Last week I ate a chunk of coconut oil infusion - which I was told was made with $20 worth of bud, no idea what techniques were used - gave me a barely noticeable hint of an effect, very disappointing - although when I smoked 3 or 4 hours later, it seemed like I got much higher than usual and later had a wicked case of the munchies.
    Now I've decided to try making my own.

Wanted to sum up what I've learned and what I plan to do and ask some questions and ask for any tips/suggestions.

First, my goal is a quick, simple, single serving of infused coconut oil that will get me moderately high, not incapacitated; I guess that'd be around a 7?

So, I'm planning on using basically a chunk of bud like I'd stuff in a bowl to smoke to my head over the course of an evening - no idea what the weight would be, picture a chunk about the size of a peanut m+m (only thing I could think of, lol - maybe a bit larger than that).
    Size is going to be pretty arbitrary, but if I find a scale when I go to Target for supplies, I'll update with an approx. weight or use a suggested weight.
    I'll be using "Blue Dream".

So first question is, does that sound like a good dosage for what I'm trying to accomplish?
    -I'd rather err on the side of caution than catatonia. ;)

Will follow the technique as described by OP w/ a couple of modifications based on things I've read elsewhere.
    -will pre-melt the coconut oil before adding it to the decarbed bud for more efficient/effective infusion
    -will cover the shot glass (or similar container) with foil while cooking so as not to lose potency to vapor. (not sure if this is necessary or effective but it's no trouble so, why not?)
    -will use soy lecithin, probably an arbitrary "pinch" unless I can find a suggested g/g ratio somewhere

Not sure about how I'll consume it or whether I'll strain it - depends on how patient I feel in the moment...
    Most likely I'll just chug the liquid before it solidifies and then either reuse whatever solids remain in another infusion or make a cup of tea w/ it, or maybe just chow it down a few hours later if I feel I need a booster.
    The idea of swallowing that small an amount of plant matter doesn't phase me.
    I do have cheese cloth, so I'll use that to strain if I decide to (may do this and use the remaining material in the cheese cloth as a tea bag - something I read in my travels).

Ok - now that I've written it out, it seems like I have a pretty solid plan with the only question being about dosage (based on a very subjective, vague description of how much bud I'll be using, lol).

Anyway, go easy on the new guy, sorry for being long winded and thank you for reading, if you did.
    Any and all tips, tricks, advice, suggestions, etc. will be much appreciated.

-Peace

edit: Completely struck out at Target; No scale that measures less than 1g and no soy lecithin.
    Looked for the lecithin at another super market and also struck out - looked in the baking aisle and the supplement/vitamin aisle.
    Just did a Google search and it looks like I may have to go to a health-food store or a GNC?
    Maybe I'll check in CVS and/or Walgreen's.
    Or maybe I'll just skip the lecithin as there are a ton of people (including the OP) who have said they've done just fine without it.
    Just worried about wasting my efforts. :shrug

edit #2: figured I should post my results - even if no one is reading this now, someone may find it helpful in the future.
    It took way longer to decarb my bud-in-a-shotglass; about 2 hours, actually.
    After the first 40 minutes, it was still moist and sticky, after the second 40 minutes, a bit crumbly but still obviously had some moisture, another 40 minutes and I just figured that had to be enough.
    If/when I do it again, I will definitely grind it first.
    Also, at some point I turned the heat up to 240 and did all the rest of the steps at that temp.
    Since it took so long to decarb, it got to be too late to be able to eat it and stay awake to enjoy it, so, after I cooked the coconut oil and herb at 240 for ~45 minutes, I put it in the freezer overnight. I went to GNC the next morning and got some soy lecithin (granules, not powder), added a pinch to the defrosted concoction and cooked it at 240 for another 45 minutes.
    I let it cool and then just gulped it down, plant matter and all - it was only about 1/3 of an ounce, so it was no problem, washed it down with some water.
    Oh, and btw, I used a decent sized chunk of bud, maybe the size of 2 or 3 peanut m+ms (lol - still don't know what else to compare it to - I'd say it was a full bowl's worth, but that's not exactly a standard measure either).
    About 2.5 hours later, still wasn't really feeling anything and thought I had just wasted some good bud.
    Decided to take a walk for 20 minutes to distract myself a bit longer from my impatient urge to just spark up a bowl...
    By the time I finished my walk, it was clear that the train was coming...
    For the next 4 or 5 hours, the effect continued to increase and I probably peaked at about an 8 - more than I was shooting for, but not too intense - quite pleasant, actually.
    So, even though it didn't all go as expected, it was a complete success.
    And now I know that it takes roughly 3 hours for eaten cannabis to take effect on me (no idea why, but I do have some gastroenterological issues so that must be a factor).
    This explains why the last time I tried it, when I still didn't feel anything after 3 hours and went ahead and smoked some, I got much higher than usual - the eaten stuff was probably just starting to kick in when I smoked.
    Glad I waited the extra 20 minutes this time.

I'll probably do this again sometime, but it's too much trouble to do for a single serving - I'd probably do like a 3 serving batch.
    I'm going to look for a small ramekin to cook it in (google it if you don't know what it is, basically a small oven-safe ceramic bowl - it's what creme brulee is typically made/served in).