Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

THC topical salve *Healing ointment* How-to

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Ironhead, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Well I'm going to use it :)

2. [quote name='"PsychedelicSam"']

It could, even in low dose. The coconut oil carries through the blood barrier and brings along other molecules that are bonded to it. So, the thc would be detectable I would think. However, it could be too small a reading to set off the test but I wouldn't want to be the one to test it. I have friends who would also like to use it but have the same concerns about the tests.

It doesn't get you an initial buzz, but if used full strength without any other ingredients it will cause a bit of a rush if you're already stoned. Most people don't decarb for topicals so that they remain inert. The pain killing properties are the non-psychoactive cannabinoids which don't require activation. :)[/quote]

Hmm.. I pondered about the decarb.. Next time I'll try it without and see if I like it better. Thanks for the tip!:D

Even with the decarb though this stuff still kicks ass!:metal:

3. Deserves lots of Rep\
    Thks Iron
    I think I used a lil to much bees wax (was very hard to cut piece off the 1lb block Be Careful) I had to use Big ass Cleaver. LOL
    Anyway the extra wax made it a lil towards the hard side, but a little rubbing and it softens up just enough to get the proper fingertip full in about 5 secs.
    I am trying it now Instant releif on my feet so far AMEN!!!@
    Thks Buddy I owe ya..
    Smoking a big fatty in your honor..
    The Recipe................................................... as grad dad once said but that was made with a still.

4. [quote name='"Stihmata"']Deserves lots of Rep\
    Thks Iron
    I think I used a lil to much bees wax (was very hard to cut piece off the 1lb block Be Careful) I had to use Big ass Cleaver. LOL
    Anyway the extra wax made it a lil towards the hard side, but a little rubbing and it softens up just enough to get the proper fingertip full in about 5 secs.
    I am trying it now Instant releif on my feet so far AMEN!!!@
    Thks Buddy I owe ya..
    Smoking a big fatty in your honor..
    The Recipe................................................... as grad dad once said but that was made with a still.[/quote]

I'm so glad its workin for ya bud! I knew it would! :hello::hello::hello::smoke::smoke:

5. #25 hemi4spd, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2012
    I've been using this for aabout 6 months. Home Page
    Works fantastic. !!!

Thanks for inspiring me to make my own

Oh and the wife's a essential oil guru.(aromatherapist).
    She says u should use these oils for even more selective treatment, and only use 100%pure therapeutic grade oils.
    Ud be suprised at how many essential oils sold are not for consumption.

Arthritis- copaiva
    Burns and general healing - lavender
    Headache - peppermint
    Cancer - frankenscence
    Kidney & adrenal support - juniper
    Digestion - fennel

6. [quote name='"hemi4spd"']I've been using this for aabout 6 months. Home Page
    Works fantastic. !!!

Thanks for inspiring me to make my own

Oh and the wife's a essential oil guru.(aromatherapist).
    She says u should use these oils for even more selective treatment, and only use 100%pure therapeutic grade oils.
    Ud be suprised at how many essential oils sold are not for consumption.

Arthritis- copaiva
    Burns and general healing - lavender
    Headache - peppermint
    Cancer - frankenscence
    Kidney & adrenal support - juniper
    Digestion - fennel[/quote]

Hell ya now we are getting somewhere! I was hoping someone would post what essential oil is good for what ailment. I sure do appreciate your contribution to the thread home skillet.:smoke::D

7. rep for awesome medicine

8. Decarbing or not won't make a big difference as long as those pain killing cannabinoids are there. It's just that decarb isn't needed for that aspect. However, if you want to use some of your coconut oil for edibles, it should be decarbed first. Decarbing won't hurt your salve and would improve your edibles. Just wanted to clear that up. :)

9. Dear friends of mine have, over the last year, been educating me on medical cannabis, and especially cannabinoids. They introduced me to and we watched, "Run From The Cure", on youtube last night. It was really interesting and began to learn more about the thc oil, etc. I then decided to google search THC Salve and found this site and the amazing recipe that was shared. In reading through this thread, I found your reference to decarbing. I am not at all familiar with what this does and why it's done. You also mentioned rendering the plant inert. Can you please say more about this in more detail, keeping in mind that I'm someone who is quite 'green' around this entire subject matter but am eager to learn about the healing properties. I am also VERY in tune to essential oils. I represent a company, that, for now, shall remain nameless, unless I'm told by admins that I can mention the name. This is the ONLY essential oil company in the world who has a designation known as CPTG, or Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade. Most of our oils are intended for internal use. You can buy a book explaining about all the oils and what they are good for in a book called Modern Essentials, which is now in it's 4th edition I believe. Again, I can let you know where to purchase it if anyone wants to know. I intend to use these oils with the medical cannabis in salve form. Thank you to everyone for all you contribute and I look forward to learning more. This forum is invaluable.

10. Decarbing is just speeding up Nature's natural process of removing a carbon dioxide molecule from THCA which is the inert form of THC. Removing the molecule turns the THCA into the psychoactive THC. This is done in nature through the aging process. As the plant material dries, that molecule is released. When smoking, the heat from the flame and ember are enough to make that change happen but for uses other than smoking, like edibles, that change needs to be helped along in order to make it psychoactive, usually at low temp in the oven for a short while.

When I say "inert", I mean that the THCA hasn't been converted to THC. You don't render it inert, it comes that way. The only way to get a truly inert salve is by using fresh plant material that hasn't had a chance to fully dry, which can take months. THC isn't the main cannabinoid for pain. Many of those are the lower cannabinoids and don't need activation. And the non-active THCA also has some benefits in its own rights.

In the "old" days, decarb wasn't necessary for anything because the pot from Mexico, Columbia and other nations were already fully dried and active by the time it reached us. It's just been since the advent of freshly grown weed that the need for decarb has arisen. Also, while lower leaf doesn't have a lot of THC, it is rich in those other cannabinoids. That's why a lot of people use their leaf for topicals instead of the psychoactive buds.

I hope this hasn't confused you more. There is a lot of conflicting info on the web about decarboxylation, so do some research before you leap in. :D

11. Hey Sam the link in your sig is broken.. Just in case you were wonderin. ;)

Great info being thrown around in here! I'll tell y'all that I swear by the decarb for my cookies now.. I have made some in the past that were just so so, but since decarbing the ganja before making my budder, I have been making straight white lightening cookies! Decarb FTW fo sho.:D:bongin:

12. Thanks for the heads up but it opens right up for me. I've tried it several times now and it goes right to the thread. Let me know if you continue to have issues with it. :D

13. [quote name='"PsychedelicSam"']

Thanks for the heads up but it opens right up for me. I've tried it several times now and it goes right to the thread. Let me know if you continue to have issues with it. :D[/quote]

Hmm... Still says the link is broken.. I'm on the app though so maybe that's why.:confused_2:

14. Link working for me.

15. Ahhh! Yep that's what it is.. Must just be the app. Haha my bad broski! :smoking:

16. Hey so I gave some of my salve to a good friend of mine that is a massage therapist. he uses it on his own hands after giving a massage because it really wears on his hands.. He has told me that it works great to relieve the pain in his hands afterwards.:D

He also said that he had an allergic reaction to a dog that he was fostering.. He broke out in a itchy stinging irritated rash with bumps.. He said he put some of the salve on the affected area and the itching and burning went away almost immediately... He said the bumps were completely gone within 30 minutes.:eek:

His wife also got a rash from the dog and the salve worked for her as well.. Crazy.. This stuff has sooo many uses!:smoke:

17. Thank you very much for your explanation. That makes perfect sense and is in alignment with what I learned over the weekend through further research. Your explanations makes perfect sense. I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Additionaly, @rinhed84, I made the salve using the recipe you kindly provided and I must say, what a beautiful product!! :D I had some unprocessed fresh honeycomb that had only been strained of the majority of the fresh honey and left to dry up in a cheese cloth. I went and bought a double boiler and melted the honeycomb/wax into a liquid and then poured it into a Pyrex cooking dish. After the fact I realized I had a real mess on my hands to clean up (duh). I ended up going back to the store to purchase mineral spirits and gloves in order to dissolve (quite effectively I might add) and remove the was residue. It was still a bit of a pain but it worked.

Two comments about your recipe, if I may:

1) You talk about a 5:1 ratio and in doing so, you talk about measuring out two ounces of coconut oil. This is 16 oz. Then you talk about 10 oz of coconut oil and 2 oz of melted wax. Although this is indeed a 5:1 ratio the instructions to utilize two cups (16 oz) of coconut oil, the amount of bees wax should then be 3.2 oz in order to maintain the 5:1 ratio. Just a minor note to someone else who might utilize the recipe.

2) Your photos show you melting the wax in a pan and then adding the product after the fact. Just a suggestion, but to prevent the wax from building up on the sides of the pan, causing a bit of a cleaning chore, might I suggest that after you've simmered the plant product with the coconut oil and filtered it out, that you then put that back in the pan and while it's hot, then add in the wax to melt, which doesn't take long at all to melt. The oil helps prevent the wax from hardening and sticking to the pan. It wipes out quite easily.

Just two minor things but hopefully they help. I'm looking forward to using the salve regularly. I'm also happy with the quantity of product it makes. One question I have, is how effective is the coconut oil at acting as a solvent to extract out the cannabinoids for the healing properties. I know you won't have the high from it but for pain relief and healing properties, is it still really that effective and potent compared to say, using butane-n, 99% isopropyl alcohol, etc. I like that it's not using another chemical to do the extraction but is it as effective? Can someone address the differences in the various extraction methods with respect to potency and effectiveness, whether providing a high and/or healing?

Thanks in advance!!

Oh, one last thing, I mentioned the Modern Essentials book in my previous post. The reason I did so is in order that anyone interested can target certain healing properties with not only the cannabinoids but the specific oils that are better suited for certain conditions.

18. [quote name='"Hookmeistr"']
    Thank you very much for your explanation. That makes perfect sense and is in alignment with what I learned over the weekend through further research. Your explanations makes perfect sense. I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Additionaly, @rinhed84, I made the salve using the recipe you kindly provided and I must say, what a beautiful product!! :D I had some unprocessed fresh honeycomb that had only been strained of the majority of the fresh honey and left to dry up in a cheese cloth. I went and bought a double boiler and melted the honeycomb/wax into a liquid and then poured it into a Pyrex cooking dish. After the fact I realized I had a real mess on my hands to clean up (duh). I ended up going back to the store to purchase mineral spirits and gloves in order to dissolve (quite effectively I might add) and remove the was residue. It was still a bit of a pain but it worked.

Two comments about your recipe, if I may:

1) You talk about a 5:1 ratio and in doing so, you talk about measuring out two ounces of coconut oil. This is 16 oz. Then you talk about 10 oz of coconut oil and 2 oz of melted wax. Although this is indeed a 5:1 ratio the instructions to utilize two cups (16 oz) of coconut oil, the amount of bees wax should then be 3.2 oz in order to maintain the 5:1 ratio. Just a minor note to someone else who might utilize the recipe.

2) Your photos show you melting the wax in a pan and then adding the product after the fact. Just a suggestion, but to prevent the wax from building up on the sides of the pan, causing a bit of a cleaning chore, might I suggest that after you've simmered the plant product with the coconut oil and filtered it out, that you then put that back in the pan and while it's hot, then add in the wax to melt, which doesn't take long at all to melt. The oil helps prevent the wax from hardening and sticking to the pan. It wipes out quite easily.

Just two minor things but hopefully they help. I'm looking forward to using the salve regularly. I'm also happy with the quantity of product it makes. One question I have, is how effective is the coconut oil at acting as a solvent to extract out the cannabinoids for the healing properties. I know you won't have the high from it but for pain relief and healing properties, is it still really that effective and potent compared to say, using butane-n, 99% isopropyl alcohol, etc. I like that it's not using another chemical to do the extraction but is it as effective? Can someone address the differences in the various extraction methods with respect to potency and effectiveness, whether providing a high and/or healing?

Thanks in advance!!

Oh, one last thing, I mentioned the Modern Essentials book in my previous post. The reason I did so is in order that anyone interested can target certain healing properties with not only the cannabinoids but the specific oils that are better suited for certain conditions.[/quote]

Hello! :wave:

Ok when I first infused the coconut oil with the cannabis, I used 2 cups or 16 oz of coconut oil to 2 cups of crushed buds. As the coconut oil simmers and infuses with bud you will lose some of that oil.. I think after I strained it, I had about 11-12 oz of infused oil left over. I just measured out 10 oz out of that to use for the salve recipe and set the leftover to the side to use later.

The 10 oz of coconut oil was added to 2 oz of melted beeswax to create the salve. Hope that clears that up. That part was a little unclear in my how to.. My bad.:)

For healing lotions and whatnot adding more chemicals to an otherwise green salve recipe seems a bit backwards to me.. Don't get me wrong, I love all kinds of hash and perhaps you could infuse the coconut oil with a form of hash.. Preferably dry ice hash.. Might not even need to be strained if used this way.:smoke:

19. #40 STIGGY, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2012

I agree with the part about adding the wax to strained coco oil instead ofmelting it 1st, unless you have a mirco/proof bowl and melt it in micro and then add
    I screwed up and added 1/4 of a 1lb bar duh................. 4oz of bees wax to 16oz (left over after boil)
    After the balm set it was very hard to take a dip of it , so I remelted and added another 12ozs of coco oil and let it reharden. Softer and more manageable, second time around.
    So if you screw up you can adjust again.

OH and by the way THE Miricle Cream Works AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It relieves pain in my feet that nothing else has.
    Thks again Buddy
    [​IMG]